The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Sep 17, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #13,591 of 23,560
Sep 17, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #13,592 of 23,560
*Please don’t laugh*

I solved it with Franken-tips. While it’s not a very severe situation, I could not really get a good to excellent fit/seal on my Trio before this. After several months, I eventually understand and think the problem (for my ears size & shape) is due to the full tia system on the Trio, in particular the tia chamber which makes the shell somehow bulkier and more protruding, thus is not resting/fitting snugly against my ears’ concha and antitragus (causing unstable fit/seal). I found this out as I don’t have the same problem on the Nio and U12t. Their shells look the same but are actually slightly smaller and have a shorter depth, thus they fit much better and are less protruding compared to the Trio. So the solution for me is to find suitable tips with the shortest and correct depth. All the after-market tips I’ve tried didn’t help (and I’ve tried really a lot), hence the modded Franken-tips. I’m not sure it’s just my ears but it makes so much different in fit, seal and sound now. Not sure my explanation makes sense but let me know if you need further details or have any questions.

Your solution looks very close to the Sedna EarFit Short I find works best for me with Trio. I actually find them more comfortable than the Xelastecs, which until last week I swore would be my last tips ever. If there's one thing that drives me nuts about IEMs it's the tips - until I find the perfect pair that is. Glad you came right, the Trio is worth it!

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #13,593 of 23,560
I actually may give Satin Audio a try. They seem to have good build and material at a competitive price point. I wonder how they compete w/ its competitors such as Effect and PWAudio
The build quality from the three manufacturers is generally speaking very good. They all have a range of cables at all different price points to suit your budget. So it’s a matter of what type of wire you want, i.e. Silver, Copper, SPC, GPS etc to get your desired sound, and how much you want to pay. I would also throw in another cable manufacturer, Eletech.

So as to keep this post on topic, the cable you choose will of course be used with your 64 Audio tia Trio 🤭👍

There are various threads created on this site to discuss the different cable makers. It may be worth you popping over to them where you can read the discussions on various cables.

PW Audio: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pw-audio-cables-discussion-thread.893028

Effect Audio: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/effect-audio-cables-thread.787717/

Eletech: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/eletech-cables-official-impressions-discussions-thread.919228/

Satin Audio: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/satin-audio-feedback-discussion-thread.898620/

PlusSound: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/plussound-audio-thread.701384/

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #13,594 of 23,560
I just went across your videos on Youtube recently, love your reviews!
Agreed. I just watched the Empire Ears review and would have loaned my KSE1200s to @reeltime before I sold them had we exchanged messages a few weeks prior.

Sep 17, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #13,595 of 23,560
Sep 17, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #13,596 of 23,560
I actually may give Satin Audio a try. They seem to have good build and material at a competitive price point. I wonder how they compete w/ its competitors such as Effect and PWAudio
I would say 64 stock cable does not like nice and tangle easily but the sound is actually quite good if you try to compare it with some entry aftermarket cables.

Sep 17, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #13,597 of 23,560
Fenrir? Nah, i just want them to make universal shells that are semi custom or snug in my ears. The u12t in it's current form is too heavy and falls out of my ear way too much.

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #13,598 of 23,560
Could you please explain why you think the A12t would be best ? Thanks
The U/A12t have excellent tuning with the M15 module and provide arguably the best price to performance ratio in 64Audio’s high end line.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #13,599 of 23,560
Fenrir? Nah, i just want them to make universal shells that are semi custom or snug in my ears. The u12t in it's current form is too heavy and falls out of my ear way too much.
If you find the u12 heavy, do NOT try the erlkonig.

: )

Sep 17, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #13,600 of 23,560
Decide to go cable rolling for my Noir. I am looking for some mid/high-mid centric upgrade or replacement for my Leo II Octa.

Although I am obsessed with the bass, treble and the soundstage of Noir, I would miss the vocal performance of the Solaris SE time to time. Once I thought the brain burn-in could get me used to the thin mid, but time seems to prove me wrong.

I saw some recommending Code 51 and Thor II in the EA thread, but also interested in learning about other brands.

Folks, any thoughts and recommendations? Thanks!

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #13,601 of 23,560
Decide to go cable rolling for my Noir. I am looking for some mid/high-mid centric upgrade or replacement for my Leo II Octa.

Although I am obsessed with the bass, treble and the soundstage of Noir, I would miss the vocal performance of the Solaris SE time to time. Once I thought the brain burn-in could get me used to the thin mid, but time seems to prove me wrong.

I saw some recommending Code 51 and Thor II in the EA thread, but also interested in learning about other brands.

Folks, any thoughts and recommendations? Thanks!

Have you tried the 64a premium silver cable yet?
The noir is super peaky on cables as it being very revealing in any changes in the path it makes not all pairings so easy or good.

Premium Silver cable from 64 makes an outstanding job. Bit if you want even beyond that then there is only 1 cable left for that level of performance!
Look no further then this, its the ultimate weapon!

https://doublehelixcables.com/produ...18-8awg-occ-silver-ultimate-2-pin-ciem-cable/

But me personally I am happy with my noir premium silver cable and stock eartips that I rotate from symbio hybrid to silicon stock and stock foamies.

Sep 17, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #13,602 of 23,560
The noir is super peaky on cables as it being very revealing in any changes in the path it makes not all pairings so easy or good.

Premium Silver cable from 64 makes an outstanding job. Bit if you want even beyond that then there is only 1 cable left for that level of performance!

https://doublehelixcables.com/produ...18-8awg-occ-silver-ultimate-2-pin-ciem-cable/

But me personally I am happy with my noir premium silver cable and stock eartips that I rotate from symbio hybrid to silicon stock and stock foamies.
Yeah I am closely looking at the classified for a 2.5mm 64A Premium Sliver cable, but all of those listed are terminated in 4.4.

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #13,603 of 23,560

You can get Norne’s silver at a cheaper price. Used Norne’s cable with Trio before, an excellent pairing.

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #13,604 of 23,560
Hi,

My nio and u12t have arrived.
I just compared them to my trio and Noir.

These four have each their strengths.
I think my ranking follows the prices: Noir, trio = u12t, then nio.

- Noir: details, soundstage, punch, very musical but not very reference.

- Trio: little brother from Noir, some of the nio and some of the U12t. More reference than Noir but with less details.

- U12t: reference at its finest, even with sub bass and highs. Incredible. No punch. Maybe a little less musical.
I can't wait to compare them to the soundwriter.

-Nio: great bass, with punch. Good medium. Highs softer than the others. Great for modern music (pop, rock,...). A little less details. Musical.

Hi,

I'll update this comparison of my 64a iems now that I have my universal soundwriter at home.

First, after careful cable rolling, it's the Effect Audio Horus 8 cable that won its place with the soundwriter. My effect Audio Horus 4 was also a good choice but Horus 8 is a little better at everything. The Horus cables work great with all the 64a iem but exceptionnaly well with BA iem it seems (Soundwriter and U12t for me).

My 64a iem ranking is now: Noir = universal Soundwriter, trio = u12t then Nio.

- universal Soundwriter: best 'reference' sound after U12t. Details everywhere! Great soundstage (= Noir ?). Best highs: detailed but smooth. The bass are so quick it makes my head spin on King Crimson. But no punch in the bass. Less lively than Noir and Trio.

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #13,605 of 23,560
Does anyone know what bore size the Trio are? I’m looking at getting some Symbio F eartips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back