The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 23, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #11,912 of 23,560
Almost seems like the Fourte Noire is a flawless IEM ... or is it? :thinking:

😅 I still have net picks about them but at least its nothing that will push me sell them!

I would love the bass be less wide and massive as it can get overwhelming when its present in the song.
Nothing dramatic I fixed that problem to the max with going stock cable and my wm1a pairs better too them my 1z.

1z make my tia noir too fat and wide in bass it fatigues my ear!

Also it is the reason why I sold my pw1960 4wires as that sucker to emphasised too much the mid bass fatness!

Imagine 1z + pw1960 thats like double overdosing of mid bass ! HELL at some point I was What I got enough of this 180 swing bang and fixed!

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #11,914 of 23,560
The most consistent criticism I’ve read about both Fourtes is hot treble.

The noir is very reasonable in treble for me and I totally hated the regular noir treble! It cut my ears into 1000 pieces!

With Fir audio stock cable my shrills got fixed on noir. I might maybe pull the trigger and get the premium silver maybe that would be the perfect cable match for noir?

Jul 23, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #11,915 of 23,560
Just look at audeze lcd 4 that too is 4k!
How about Utopia another 4k headphones or the hifi man?

This is where the noir stands at and the price reflects this. Unfortunately not everyone will be able to enjoy them due to financial limitations....
Realistically iem’s at this price range ae ridiculous, but if you use it on a daily basis, it can be justified.

Given the budget for an LCD4 or any iem on earth, I’d take the LCD4 every time because it is objectively better, and subjectively to me - and that’s not even a Top 7 headphone for me.

I don’t do as much mobile listening however, and that’s where you can quantify value differently :)

I know your Noir's are on the road with you 24/7, so you totally think it's worth it hehe

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 23, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #11,916 of 23,560
Jul 23, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #11,917 of 23,560
Realistically iem’s at this price range ae ridiculous, but if you use it on a daily basis, it can be justified.

Given the budget for an LCD4 or any iem on earth, I’d take the LCD4 every time because it is objectively better, and subjectively to me - and that’s not even a Top 7 headphone for me.

I don’t do as much mobile listening however, and that’s where you can quantify value differently :)

I know your Noir's are on the road with you 24/7, so you totally think it's worth it hehe

Believe it or not but I lost my hour count.
My noir is nearing that 3000 hours mark!

Yes you are absolutely right for my circumstances and way of listening and always on the go. It is what we can think of the best portable rig to have 🙃🙂

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #11,918 of 23,560
The Noir perfect, you say? :D

It's not perfect, the U18t is perfect. The only fault in the u18t is the same fault all perfect things have: it's a little boring, sometimes, to listen to something this perfect.

The faults present in the Noir, to my years (and quite a few others too, as I read from here and reviews) are two:

1. Though improved on the original Fourte's, the treble can still sound splashy on certain recordings that don't have that problem with the u18t. It's a great treble, and it's more forgiving than, say, the Layla, but it does get grating at times.

2. The bass slam -- as someone here said as well -- can get a bit fatiguing with some sources. And even with a nice bass shy source (which the Noir tends to like) it's just not a totally non-fatiguing IEM, as the u18t is.

That's sorta it though. The mids are incredible to my ears. Very emotional vocals, more emotional and magical than u18t. Super nice crunch on electric guitars, a lot of low mid growl in these. The soundstage is incredible, so is detail retrieval, surprisingly. With the sp2000 I hear no "fuzz" between elements of the soundstage, or similar "warm" signature artefacts. It's cold hard perfect imaging through and through.

If I had to have only one IEM it'd be u18t hands down. Much more versatile, non-fatiguing, just an all around flawless choice. The Noir I would not recommend for an "only TOTL IEM you have" kinda deal. But it makes for a great funner, bassier, more showy, more capricious, more emotional, more out there companion to a very flawless reference IEM.

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #11,919 of 23,560

It's not perfect, the U18t is perfect. The only fault in the u18t is the same fault all perfect things have: it's a little boring, sometimes, to listen to something this perfect.

The faults present in the Noir, to my years (and quite a few others too, as I read from here and reviews) are two:

1. Though improved on the original Fourte's, the treble can still sound splashy on certain recordings that don't have that problem with the u18t. It's a great treble, and it's more forgiving than, say, the Layla, but it does get grating at times.

2. The bass slam -- as someone here said as well -- can get a bit fatiguing with some sources. And even with a nice bass shy source (which the Noir tends to like) it's just not a totally non-fatiguing IEM, as the u18t is.

That's sorta it though. The mids are incredible to my ears. Very emotional vocals, more emotional and magical than u18t. Super nice crunch on electric guitars, a lot of low mid growl in these. The soundstage is incredible, so is detail retrieval, surprisingly. With the sp2000 I hear no "fuzz" between elements of the soundstage, or similar "warm" signature artefacts. It's cold hard perfect imaging through and through.

If I had to have only one IEM it'd be u18t hands down. Much more versatile, non-fatiguing, just an all around flawless choice. The Noir I would not recommend for an "only TOTL IEM you have" kinda deal. But it makes for a great funner, bassier, more showy, more capricious, more emotional, more out there companion to a very flawless reference IEM.

Aaahheimmm heiiim excuse me! Sir 😐

Where is that DD in u18??? 🤔

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #11,920 of 23,560

I just wish it wasn’t such an ugly IEM in universal.

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #11,921 of 23,560

I'm also a bit in your camp on this one, because I'd rather have one IEM that does very little wrong than one that is a bit capricious and not the best with some things. Sure, if you listen to a specific genre and it works well for you, then happy days, but it's a rare occurrence imo. I have yet to hear the Fourte Noir, but the U12t was amazing to my ears. It wasn't the most flashy, but it sounded great with everything. The Nio is on the way and I'm hoping it'll be a bit more exciting while maintaining some of the great things that the U12t can do. Plus, it looks great!

Jul 23, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #11,922 of 23,560
Given the budget for an LCD4 or any iem on earth, I’d take the LCD4 every time because it is objectively better

Do you think IEMs will always be inferior to full size? I think the best IEMs these days that they're an easy win over full size just on convenience alone...and the gap in sound quality is getting narrower and narrower (if it exists at all).

Jul 23, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #11,923 of 23,560
I'm also a bit in your camp on this one, because I'd rather have one IEM that does very little wrong than one that is a bit capricious and not the best with some things. Sure, if you listen to a specific genre and it works well for you, then happy days, but it's a rare occurrence imo. I have yet to hear the Fourte Noir, but the U12t was amazing to my ears. It wasn't the most flashy, but it sounded great with everything. The Nio is on the way and I'm hoping it'll be a bit more exciting while maintaining some of the great things that the U12t can do. Plus, it looks great!
Like @Rockwell75 mentioned I found the treble on the Noir much too hot and sibilant. Couldn’t stand it. Had to sell it. Much prefer the U12 to the Noir frankly, even with my general preference for DDs.

Jul 23, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #11,924 of 23,560
Do you think IEMs will always be inferior to full size? I think the best IEMs these days that they're an easy win over full size just on convenience alone...and the gap in sound quality is getting narrower and narrower (if it exists at all).

Its very different its 2 different worlds and they should not be compared. Its like does car speakers with 7.1 setup the same experience as a home 7.1 speaker setup? No too different
Same here

Also each has its own strengths so 1 win here the other one win there a never ending fight

Jul 23, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #11,925 of 23,560
I prefer IEM’s to over ears. For example, one you’re familiar with...the sound quality Solaris SE produce with isolation and no noise leakage.. I don’t believe exists in headphones. If it does I know it’s north of $3k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back