The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 16, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #11,703 of 23,721
Well, a bit like I said earlier : great bass like the Tia Trio, but with the detail retrieval and accuracy of U12t ! Trying to narrow down the signature somehow
Ah ok. I would say it has more bass than the trio and it's different as well. I think that the decay is a bit slower and that's been throwing me off. Instruments like cellos have a lot more body than on the trio. I don't know if you've heard the LX, but it infuses little to a little bass into everything. I would say that the Nio does that as well, but in a more subtle way. It just makes everything a bit more physical. The only music I'm not enjoying the bass with is with some EDM that has hard hitting but very dull and repetitive bass. That becomes a bit fatiguing and I think the trios gentler touch handles that better and let's other parts of the music shine.

I haven't heard the u12t in a very long time, but I doubt the Nio has the same technical prowess. Detail retrieval is decent. It's no slouch but that's the u12ts strong suit. Could be wrong though! Like I said, haven't heard it in ages.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #11,704 of 23,721
It's been a few days with the Nio so I figure it's time to throw my impression hat in the ring.

I won't say a lot, because I pretty much agree with everything the other early adopters have said about the Nio. It's a very well tuned IEM that sounds warm neutral to me with satisfying mid bass impact and sub bass rumble, nicely presented mids with plenty of texture and detail, and well extended yet smooth treble that shouldn't be a problem for even the most treble-sensitive ears.

The swappable apex modules are the Nio's (and 64 Audio IEM's in general) greatest asset in my opinion, and give the Nio a significant advantage over the other hybrid IEM's in it's price range that I've been comparing it with. It makes the Nio truly versatile with any genre of music. The M15 is the ideal amount of bass for my taste without congesting the presentation, but it's great to have the option to go full basshead or lean without worrying about EQ, cables, sources or even other IEM's for that matter.

With the M15 module, the soundstage has plenty of space in all directions and imaging sounds precise. It doesn't have the most holographic soundstage like the Solaris, but I still get a good sense of three dimensional presentation in music.

Once again I won't repeat how the Nio compares to other IEM's as most of what I've got to compare with has already been covered, and I agree with what has been said thus far. The Fourte Noir is the only one missing that I can offer an opinion on, so to quickly summarise (using the M15 module on the Nio and silver premium cable on both IEM's out of a Sony WM1Z):

The Noir has a brighter, more agressive sound signature with more treble energy and prominence in the whole upper region. I can see why some people find the Noir's treble too hot. The Nio and Noir are quite similar with their bass response. I do feel that the Noir sounds a little tighter with a more visceral impact in its mid bass, but the Nio extends maybe a touch lower in the sub bass. Female vocals sound more forward on the Noir, while male vocals are somewhat similar in their position between the two IEM's. The midrange tonality of the Noir is more on the analytical side compaired to the Nio. The Noir does appear to be the more detailed IEM, but that could be due to the brighter treble so I'm picking up more information. The brightness does also make the Noir sound airier and more spacious.

I did some tip rolling between the stock silicone & foam's, Spiral Dots, Azla Sedna Earfits (both light and dark), Azla Xelastecs, SpinFit CP100, and Sony Hybrid Silicones. I was able to achieve the best seal with the Xelastecs and they sound the best to my ears, followed by the SpinFits.

When I think of the potential issues other hybrids have out of what I've heard/owned and compare them against the Nio (Sony IER-Z1R's recessed lower mids and terrible fit, EE Legend X's overly L-shaped sig, the Solaris 2020's (relatively) tame bass and hissing, the Fourte Noir's hot treble & price) it's clear that the Nio, with its apex modules, is the safest recommendation I could make to anyone looking at any of these IEM's bar the most ardent trebleheads. It may not be the absolute best at any particular thing, but it does everything well enough to make it a great choice for someone looking at hybrids in this price range.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #11,705 of 23,721
It's been a few days with the Nio so I figure it's time to throw my impression hat in the ring

I won't say a lot, because I pretty much agree with everything the other early adopters have said about the Nio. It's a very well tuned IEM that sounds warm neutral to me with satisfying mid bass impact and sub bass rumble, nicely presented mids with plenty of texture and detail, and well extended yet smooth treble that shouldn't be a problem for even the most treble-sensitive ears.

The swappable apex modules are the Nio's (and 64 Audio IEM's in general) greatest asset in my opinion, and give the Nio a significant advantage over the other hybrid IEM's in it's price range that I've been comparing it with. It makes the Nio truly versatile with any genre of music. The M15 is the ideal amount of bass for my taste without congesting the presentation, but it's great to have the option to go full basshead or lean without worrying about EQ, cables, sources or even other IEM's for that matter.

With the M15 module, the soundstage has plenty of space in all directions and imaging sounds precise. It doesn't have the most holographic soundstage like the Solaris, but I still get a good sense of three dimensional presentation in music.

Once again I won't repeat how the Nio compares to other IEM's as most of what I've got to compare with has already been covered, and I agree with what has been said thus far. The Fourte Noir is the only one missing that I can offer an opinion on, so to quickly summarise (using the M15 module on the Nio and silver premium cable on both IEM's out of a Sony WM1Z):

The Noir has a brighter, more agressive sound signature with more treble energy and prominence in the whole upper region. I can see why some people find the Noir's treble too hot. The Nio and Noir are quite similar with their bass response, but I do feel that the Noir sounds a little tighter and more visceral in its mid bass but the Nio extends maybe a touch lower in the sub bass. Female vocals sound more forward on the Noir, and male vocals being somewhat similar in their position. The midrange tonality of the Noir is more on the analytical side compaired to the Nio. The Noir does appear to be the more detailed IEM, but that could be due to the brighter treble so I'm picking up more information. The brightness does also make the Noir sound airier and more spacious.

I did some tip rolling between the stock silicone & foam's, Spiral Dots, Azla Sedna Earfits (both light and dark), Azla Xelastecs, SpinFit CP100, and Sony Hybrid Silicones. I was able to achieve the best seal with the Xelastecs and they sound the best to my ears, followed by the SpinFits.

When I think of the potential issues other hybrids have out of what I've heard/owned and compare them against the Nio (Sony IER-Z1R's recessed lower mids and terrible fit, EE Legend X's overly L-shaped sig, the Solaris 2020's (relatively) tame bass and hissing, the Fourte Noir's hot treble & price) it's clear that the Nio with its apex modules is the safest recommendation I could make to anyone looking at any of these IEM's bar the most ardent trebleheads. It may not be the absolute best at any particular thing, but it does everything well enough to make it a great choice for someone looking at hybrids in this price range.

Nice impressions I am happy you did a comparison with the noir's. It is a really good price/performance ratio purchase indeed! To date I cant see any other brand to be as dedicated as 64audio. They got the latest technology, best tuning, small form factor, they lead in all categories!

The Tia ba driver is the worlds best ba that exists nothing can reproduce the ultimate sound experience that this driver can do. Not even new sony T shaped ba membrane...

No matter how good Nio is it will never touche the fidelity of the Noir I doubt that even 18S can reach that!
Because they all missing the impressive Tia Mid ba!

64a apex technology something I cant live without if the iem has no anti air pressure system I instantly eliminate it! I cant stand any air pressure after 2 hours of listen. 64a is offering me full comfort and maximum benefits of the sq without being hurt.

I will say it once more Tia Noir is worlds best ever iem that was created!

The 2 other are tia fourte regular and kse1500

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #11,706 of 23,721
It's been a few days with the Nio so I figure it's time to throw my impression hat in the ring

The Noir has a brighter, more agressive sound signature with more treble energy and prominence in the whole upper region. I can see why some people find the Noir's treble too hot. The Nio and Noir are quite similar with their bass response, but I do feel that the Noir sounds a little tighter and more visceral in its mid bass but the Nio extends maybe a touch lower in the sub bass. Female vocals sound more forward on the Noir, and male vocals being somewhat similar in their position. The midrange tonality of the Noir is more on the analytical side compaired to the Nio. The Noir does appear to be the more detailed IEM, but that could be due to the brighter treble so I'm picking up more information. The brightness does also make the Noir sound airier and more spacious.

When I think of the potential issues other hybrids have out of what I've heard/owned and compare them against the Nio (Sony IER-Z1R's recessed lower mids and terrible fit, EE Legend X's overly L-shaped sig, the Solaris 2020's (relatively) tame bass and hissing, the Fourte Noir's hot treble & price) it's clear that the Nio with its apex modules is the safest recommendation I could make to anyone looking at any of these IEM's bar the most ardent trebleheads. It may not be the absolute best at any particular thing, but it does everything well enough to make it a great choice for someone looking at hybrids in this price range.

Great impressions man thanks for sharing!

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #11,707 of 23,721
Nice impressions I am happy you did a comparison with the noir's. It is a really good price/performance ratio purchase indeed! To date I cant see any other brand to be as dedicated as 64audio. They got the latest technology, best tuning, small form factor, they lead in all categories!

The Tia ba driver is the worlds best ba that exists nothing can reproduce the ultimate sound experience that this driver can do. Not even new sony T shaped ba membrane...

No matter how good Nio is it will never touche the fidelity of the Noir I doubt that even 18S can reach that!
Because they all missing the impressive Tia Mid ba!

The 2 other are tia fourte regular and kse1500
You really seem to love the 64audio brand... I guess that's what being passionate about a brand does.

Good thing this hobby is all about opinions and that there isn't such thing as "best" IEM / headphone. There's always pros and cons to anything, but when you add everything together, it might end up being the closest to your personal preferences. The genres you listen to and your use case are definitely big factors though.

I have not had the chance to hear the Tia Noir myself, but it seems to be made for very specific tastes. Some people love it, and some hate it! Quite the polarizing IEM. Still, I respect 64audio's R&D teams and while I think their products should be priced a bit more competitively, they seem to excel at what they're made for. Their proprietary techs like Apex and LID are game changers in the industry, and I hope more brands implement something similar in the future!

Anyway, looking forward to hearing the Nio and compare it against my all time favorite, the U12t. Can't wait for more people to post their impressions too!

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #11,708 of 23,721

Bold statement Mr Tiger!

I agree with @Titienne I don't think there's such a thing as an objectively greatest IEM in the world, but if the Noir is hitting all your preferences, then it can certainly the best IEM in the world for you. And that's all that matters at the end of the day :)

It is a very good IEM though :wink:

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #11,709 of 23,721
You really seem to love the 64audio brand... I guess that's what being passionate about a brand does.

Good thing this hobby is all about opinions and that there isn't such thing as "best" IEM / headphone. There's always pros and cons to anything, but when you add everything together, it might end up being the closest to your personal preferences. The genres you listen to and your use case are definitely big factors though.

I have not had the chance to hear the Tia Noir myself, but it seems to be made for very specific tastes. Some people love it, and some hate it! Quite the polarizing IEM. Still, I respect 64audio's R&D teams and while I think their products should be priced a bit more competitively, they seem to excel at what they're made for. Their proprietary techs like Apex and LID are game changers in the industry, and I hope more brands implement something similar in the future!

Anyway, looking forward to hearing the Nio and compare it against my all time favorite, the U12t. Can't wait for more people to post their impressions too!
Bold statement Mr Tiger!

I agree with @Titienne I don't think there's such a thing as an objectively greatest IEM in the world, but if the Noir is hitting all your preferences, then it can certainly the best IEM in the world for you. And that's all that matters at the end of the day :)

It is a very good IEM though :wink:

It is! In the reality of Mr.Tiger The Noir is the master of disguise, its a true atomic precision accuracy of sound!
Thanks to the Tia Noir I can sense hear details and nuances that I couldn't ever before.

It does fit into my world with so perfectly. Nothing to date made me so satisfied and complete!

I am using stock foams as they offer best isolation & comfort. With 0 sound alterations.

Stock cable and wire earloops. Because they offer best comfort and fit...

Everything of 64a just fits like a perfect pair of gloves in to my ears. And yes its universal fit and lucky me no need for custom...

I cant even name a single headphone that can do what Tia Noir on them selfs alone can reproduce! I guess this is the glorious result of when everything just sits and fits to perfection.
Its so perfect that I can hear and sense music on a physical level not just the sound hearing. I feel air puff and sound waves riplles and the velocity and speed of every decay no matter where in the frequency range.
Its absolutely astonishing the euphoric existence I am experiencing with the Noir! I which everyone could experience what I am going threw!

The headphones that if regrouped all together makes the 1 single fabulous Noir

H-e1 / hd800s / hd820 / mdr-z1r / utopia

I know you may think I am a crazy tiger 😅😆
But at least I am having a blast over here 😃😀😇🥰🥰

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #11,710 of 23,721
I haven’t wanted to go full shill about them yet so I only mentioned a few things lol. They are so nice to listen to. I can’t wait until more people get theirs.
I can't wait to get mine.............back from burn-in. They should be cooked and ready tonight! :sweat_smile:

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #11,712 of 23,721
I am using the Fir O module which seems to be the best balance for what I want (with slight EQ to enhance airiness).
Hi @Shecky504 - did you listen to Nio with the M15 and can you describe the differences in sound (particularly bass response) with the Fir 0 vs M15. Also, did you try MX, and does Fir 0 do more 'justice' to the bass than the MX? Last question, can you describe your EQ tweak for more air? Many thx.

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #11,713 of 23,721
Unless, like @Damz87 said, you find the treble of the Noir too hot for your liking, in which case it's not... :wink:

It is not. It can be thought! Depending on dap and cable also music type!

Under normal circumstances it is perfect for me.
I only wish Noir had 100% bass like the original Tia Fourte lol that is my only complaint 😁😃

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #11,715 of 23,721
Love the FR, thanks for posting! Surprising people have said the treble isn't very airy or sparkly with that treble extension

Sparkle (or sizzle) typically has more to do with low-treble tuning, rather than extension. Articulation usually lies between 5-6kHz, while 7-10kHz is more so responsible for giving notes a hard, crisp edge. Air is where extension starts to come in, though you can also perceive a lesser sensation of airiness if the frequencies past 10kHz aren’t emphasised. From the measurements published thus far, it looks like the Nio sports a nice, natural balance without any extra sizzle up high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back