The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 16, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #11,686 of 23,721
Did they give you a shipping notice before it was sent out? Just curious as I ordered from them as well and haven't seen anything yet. I wonder if they didn't get the full stock they ordered as I was supposed to be in with the first group.
Yes I did receive an email when they shipped. They only received 3 units in the initial shipment though.

Interesting observations. I found quite a difference between the U12t and Nio, though was comparing using the M15 modules.

Particularly interested in the comment on guitars - I don’t listen to a whole lot of rock, and when I do it’s mostly indie (artists like Rilo Kiley and The Decemberists). Quite grunge-like I’d describe it as, and find the Nio sometimes softens it a tad too much. That changes with the MX module; which brings back some of that bit and edge.

Can you share a few examples of modern rock that you were listening to?

Guitars sound fantastic on both the U12t and the Nio. For modern rock on the U12t I sometimes find recordings sound thin and drums not as natural. I'm referring to recordings by Dream Theater, Tool, Rival Sons and Spock's Beard to name a few.

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #11,687 of 23,721
Guitars sound fantastic on both the U12t and the Nio. For modern rock on the U12t I sometimes find recordings sound thin and drums not as natural. I'm referring to recordings by Dream Theater, Tool, Rival Sons and Spock's Beard to name a few.

You have great musical tastes! I really liked the speed and detail retrieval of the U12t for Dream Theater and the likes, but if you say you prefer the Nio, I'm in for a treat!

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #11,688 of 23,721
You have great musical tastes! I really liked the speed and detail retrieval of the U12t for Dream Theater and the likes, but if you say you prefer the Nio, I'm in for a treat!
Thanks! Yes you are. Give your ears time to adjust if you are used to the U12t. Speed and detail retrieval are definitely high points of the U12t but I think the Nio is more geared toward progressive rock recordings like Dream Theater's to bring out the energy and exciting and musical sound signature. If for some reason you're missing some detail, you can always EQ the treble just slightly on the Nio to kick it up a notch!

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #11,689 of 23,721
Hey guys, I finally got my hands on the 64 Audio Nio.

I have only listened to them for a relatively short time (apex mX only). What I can say so far is that they are underwhelming in the most positive way. I want to say flawless. Usually high-end IEM boast with some special trait or have a unique sonic character. The Nio are refined to the point that they are... boring? Well, that's a word I am only allowed to use because I listen to the A18t daily. I can imagine that soundstage, imaging and clarity can absolutely knock some people off their feet - but then there's also the A18t. To me, the Nio are warm, natural and well balanced. I'll let my hearing adjust for a while first before I draw a conclusion.

As you can tell, I'm not a bass head and I really like the lows with apex mX. I'll switch the apex modules tomorrow, but I doubt I will prefer either m15 or m20.
I have also tried the mX with the A18t and I have to say that I cannot really recommend it. The lows aren't there where they are needed to create a larger soundstage. That way mids are very forward, which is ok, but the m15 + A18t is the combo where I want the tuning to be! Nio + mX is almost shockingly close, to be honest.
I do think that A18s and mX could be a new reference for me and even knock the A18t out of the park. But that's just a guess that I probably will never be able to confirm.

Anyway, I measured the Nio. I will not upload the graphs to my site because I haven't listened closely enough to confirm them. But the graphs nicely show the difference between the apex modules (pictured: m20, m15, mX). As with my measurements before, I can only confirm a 1 dB difference between m15 and m20. Doesn't matter which demo (or custom) I use, the measured difference is always negligible (though actual difference in ear pressure is very apparent). The new mX is very different, though.

64audio_nio.png

This is measured with my usual setup: RME ADI-2 Pro > IEC 60318-4 (711) > REW (psy-smoothed). As I said, I can't fully confirm the measurement yet (regarding treble), but feel free to compare with other 64 Audio models: https://www.klauseulenbach.de/iem-frequency-response/

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #11,690 of 23,721
Hey guys, I finally got my hands on the 64 Audio Nio.

I have only listened to them for a relatively short time (apex mX only). What I can say so far is that they are underwhelming in the most positive way. I want to say flawless. Usually high-end IEM boast with some special trait or have a unique sonic character. The Nio are refined to the point that they are... boring? Well, that's a word I am only allowed to use because I listen to the A18t daily. I can imagine that soundstage, imaging and clarity can absolutely knock some people off their feet - but then there's also the A18t. To me, the Nio are warm, natural and well balanced. I'll let my hearing adjust for a while first before I draw a conclusion.

As you can tell, I'm not a bass head and I really like the lows with apex mX. I'll switch the apex modules tomorrow, but I doubt I will prefer either m15 or m20.
I have also tried the mX with the A18t and I have to say that I cannot really recommend it. The lows aren't there where they are needed to create a larger soundstage. That way mids are very forward, which is ok, but the m15 + A18t is the combo where I want the tuning to be! Nio + mX is almost shockingly close, to be honest.
I do think that A18s and mX could be a new reference for me and even knock the A18t out of the park. But that's just a guess that I probably will never be able to confirm.

Anyway, I measured the Nio. I will not upload the graphs to my site because I haven't listened closely enough to confirm them. But the graphs nicely show the difference between the apex modules (pictured: m20, m15, mX). As with my measurements before, I can only confirm a 1 dB difference between m15 and m20. Doesn't matter which demo (or custom) I use, the measured difference is always negligible (though actual difference in ear pressure is very apparent). The new mX is very different, though.

64audio_nio.png

This is measured with my usual setup: RME ADI-2 Pro > IEC 60318-4 (711) > REW (psy-smoothed). As I said, I can't fully confirm the measurement yet (regarding treble), but feel free to compare with other 64 Audio models: https://www.klauseulenbach.de/iem-frequency-response/
Love the FR, thanks for posting! Surprising people have said the treble isn't very airy or sparkly with that treble extension

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #11,691 of 23,721
SpinFit CP240 for me. I tried the Sedna, Spiral Dots and foamies and settled on the SpinFits.
I've had the best luck with these weird tips that I found on Amazon. The bore matches the size the 64 nozzles very well and they maintain a great balance of bass, treble and comfort. Their seal is very gentle as well because they are extremely soft.

Look up ALXCD Sony eartips on Amazon. They just seem to be a generic tip but they work so well for me.

Nice impressions! Glad more people are getting them!

I havent really been able to test isolation due to working from home, but isolation has never really been a priority for me anyways. Vocals are quite good and I think those 6 mid drivers here are really pulling their weight. Guitars and other string instruments are incredibly sweet sounding and the timbre is just right.

Glad others are enjoying them as much as I am, they really are just so spot on for what I like. I honestly havent listened to my trio at all, even for edm stuff. The trio has a little bit of emphasis in the subbass, which is nice there, but I think the nio really just nails it for me.

And just as an fyi, the trio does have apex tech built in, its just internal and not swappable, should be the same as the m15 module.

I really hate to gush like this because I hate to be one contributing to so called hype train, but the nio have left me pretty much completely satisfied to the point that I have almost no real desire to get more iems (for the foreseeable future). Others have done a few things right but none have really been the whole package for me like the nio has. Comfort, sound, looks... yea, still stupid happy with them.

Thank you 😊

Isolation is pretty important to me because I'm ADHD and always on the go lol. Also I like to long board and listen to music, which is so much fun!

If you would have told me a year ago that a kinda v-shaped IEM would be one of my favorites, I'd have called you crazy lol. The trio has found a permanent place in my quiver though.. and not only because of the sub-bass emphasis, but also because of how incredible it's treble is. Progressive trance to me is more about subtleties and melody than bass. A lot of the melody cues and details is in the treble, and I've never found an iem that just kills it the way the Trio does.

I never got the impression that you were over exaggerating anything about the Nio, just that you really like it, so don't even worry about it. Your gushing is justified haha.

Ah man, you're making me so excited! Can't wait to get mine :) Would you say the Nio is somewhere between the U12t and Trio? I found the bass on the Trio to be great, but I preferred everything else from the U12t.
I hope you get yours soon! Between those two in what sense? They're all so different lol.

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #11,692 of 23,721
Hmm I’m really starting to consider the Nio with the FiR modules alongside the Legend X and Solaris SE. With the Nx module I think it could be different enough from the Legend X to justify buying. Luckily Nio is out of stock everywhere allowing Empire Ears some time to announce Odin before I make my decision between Odin, Nio or the Fir M4.... Decisions Decisions.....

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #11,694 of 23,721
Hi everyone. I’m curious I bought a second hand trio and I’m wondering what you all are using for tips? The stock ones just don’t cut it. Thank you in advance !
Congrats on getting the Trio. On mine I use Campfire Audio Marshmallow foam tips. I find these comfortable with great isolation.

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #11,695 of 23,721
Does anyone have some experience with the cable selection for the U18t? I am trying to find a perfect cable for my U18t. Thinking of Leonidas 2 8wire and plussound x8 tri-metal. Would like to have some recommendations xddd.

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #11,699 of 23,721
I also received my Nio! It was delivered testerday morning morning and I've had quite a few good hours of listening. Damn they are good. I think it's one of the best hybrid all arounders. I have a trio and an lx ATM and can't say that for either of them.

NONE OF YOU MENTIONED HOW PHENOMENAL THE NIO IS WITH FEMALE VOCALS. This is what has blown me away the most. They really bring out the emotion. To me female vocals sound best with the m20 module. The mx module brings too much air into them for my liking. With the m20, I'd say the Nio's female vocals are somewhere in the ballpark of the VE8 and it's proficiency with male vocals. As everyone else said, technicalities do take a backseat with the m20. Although the Nio might have the tonal pleasantness of the VE8, the VE8 maintains technicalities a bit better. That's ok for me, though.. A beautiful vocal presentation is worth that cost, and it's great that were not stuck with one setting!

Soundstage/imaging isn't something I don't really think about with smoother IEMs. They just let you enjoy your music more instead of focusing on the iem. That being said, even with the m20, I was surprised at how deep the soundstage sounded with some tracks. It could be that they were recorded that way but it was pleasant nonetheless. Width is average. Nothing to write home about. As you go from the m20 to the m15 and then to the mx, it does improve in these aspects, though.

There's good rumble for rap and also great midbass for kick drums and such in rock music. It does tilt towards mid-bass though. The LX is still my go to for rap, the Trio for EDM, and the Nio for basically anything else. I will say that the Nio can be better for some EDM subgenres, but for a lot of the trance I listen to, the Trio is difficult to surpass.

Highs are somewhat smooth as everyone said, but not enough that bad recordings are too easy to listen to. They still have some bite.

Something nobody has talked much about is isolation. The last 64 iem I had with Apex modules was the u12t and I didn't feel like isolation was very good. I was on the go for a lot of my listening with the Nio and mostly used the m20 module. I was quite surprised at how great isolation was. I'd say it's better than even the Tia Trio, which has no apex modules (or it's built in?).

Comfort is great. The fit is somewhat similar to the Trio but not quite the same because the dome that precedes the nozzle is a different shape and the nozzle itself is a tad shorter.

The Nio is so easy to recommend, even if you HAVE to purchase it blindly, which I did 😅
I haven’t wanted to go full shill about them yet so I only mentioned a few things lol. They are so nice to listen to. I can’t wait until more people get theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back