The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 16, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #11,656 of 23,721
My Nio arrived today! Definitely impressed out of the box and may end up selling my U12t if my testing continues on this course. I'm hearing similarities as others have stated vs. U12t: The Nio has those dynamic lows that slam along with the excellent mids of the U12t and a little bit smoother/rolled off treble vs. U12t. The vocals and guitars have a very similar tone to the U12t which is what I was hoping for, but with more body and still forward in the sound signature. I am using the Fir O module which seems to be the best balance for what I want (with slight EQ to enhance airiness). I agree the U12t has more airiness but the Nio is not far behind and definitely more exciting. It's handled all genres I've thrown at it well so far unlike the U12t which I think struggles with modern progressive rock. Much more listening to go but off to a great start!

Interesting observations. I found quite a difference between the U12t and Nio, though was comparing using the M15 modules.

Particularly interested in the comment on guitars - I don’t listen to a whole lot of rock, and when I do it’s mostly indie (artists like Rilo Kiley and The Decemberists). Quite grunge-like I’d describe it as, and find the Nio sometimes softens it a tad too much. That changes with the MX module; which brings back some of that bit and edge.

Can you share a few examples of modern rock that you were listening to?

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #11,659 of 23,721
Any good looking headphone stand for the Arya?

Well, since you are in 64audio thread, Custom Nio packaging box will make a nice stand for your headphones :D

(yes, i'm being sarcastic as well)

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #11,660 of 23,721
Is Fir 0 the M15, 13 or 10 equivalent (I know there's no M13).
It's the equivalent of the MX. The O is the "Open" module; isolation = 10db / bass cut -4db at 20Hz :beerchug:
I wouldn't call it the equivalent of the mx. It says it has the same isolation at -10db, but the mx module really attenuates the bass, and has a bit of subbass roll off, while the O module doesn't attenuate the bass nearly as much and doesn't have the same roll off.

The O module is closer to the m15 I think than it is to the mx module in terms of sound.

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #11,661 of 23,721
Is Fir 0 the M15, 13 or 10 equivalent (I know there's no M13).

On paper, it should be equivalent to MX with 10dB isolation. In reality, it looks like THIS based on my relative measurements of every single apex and atom xl module.

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #11,662 of 23,721
On paper, it should be equivalent to MX with 10dB isolation. In reality, it looks like THIS based on my relative measurements of every single apex and atom xl module.
Alex it looks like the 0 module flattens the midbass hump a bit, makes it more linear from sub bass to midbass, with a drop in volume too, but leaves the other frequencies alone. Is that your experience?

Jul 16, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #11,663 of 23,721
Alex it looks like the 0 module flattens the midbass hump a bit, makes it more linear from sub bass to midbass, with a drop in volume too, but leaves the other frequencies alone. Is that your experience?

Yep, it is. And that is one interesting phenomenon of apex/atom modules, they affect the low end and lower mids, while the rest of frequency response stays the same. But the lift in the bass can definitely affect the perception of mids and how you hear it, something graph can't capture and only your ears will tell.

Jul 16, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #11,664 of 23,721
Yep, it is. And that is one interesting phenomenon of apex/atom modules, they affect the low end and lower mids, while the rest of frequency response stays the same. But the lift in the bass can definitely affect the perception of mids and how you hear it, something graph can't capture and only your ears will tell.
Thanks, that's very helpful. Will try source some Fir 0 and 13 modules for flexibility if nothing else. Will also feedback here how the magical burn-in is going. 100 hour mark will be up tomorrow night.

Jul 16, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #11,665 of 23,721
76PIwwM.jpg

Joined the family boys, haven't looked back since :)

Jul 16, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #11,667 of 23,721
Did they give you a shipping notice before it was sent out? Just curious as I ordered from them as well and haven't seen anything yet. I wonder if they didn't get the full stock they ordered as I was supposed to be in with the first group.
They haven't received all their stock at once, I can confirm that. They should get the rest fairly soon, but no ETA as of now sadly.

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #11,668 of 23,721
They haven't received all their stock at once, I can confirm that. They should get the rest fairly soon, but no ETA as of now sadly.
That's the concern I had. Although at the same time I hope 64 Audio isn't trying to crank them out too quickly and we end up with more "brand new b-stock" sets coming out as others have had to deal with. Just that the waiting is very hard to do when I keep reading these comments that describe the sound signature I am looking for in an IEM.

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #11,669 of 23,721
I love that FR chart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back