The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 14, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #11,642 of 23,721
A couple hours' rest every 5-10h?
Honestly this is such a debated topic that I think you are going to get different answers from every person you ask.

My view is that burn in likely is extremely minor if it's real at all and most changes are more likely due to so called "brain burn in" rather than anything physically changing.

Regardless of my views, my preferences are to just listen through it. If burn in isn't real, then I have wasted no time doing a silly procedure while depriving myself of the use of my gear. And if it is real, then I can listen through it and just enjoy the ride and also not deprive myself of any head time.

I get the argument to be made for reviewers who want to eliminate the possibility either way, but for me, again, I would just listen and enjoy the ride.

Jul 14, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #11,643 of 23,721
Honestly this is such a debated topic that I think you are going to get different answers from every person you ask.

My view is that burn in likely is extremely minor if it's real at all and most changes are more likely due to so called "brain burn in" rather than anything physically changing.

Regardless of my views, my preferences are to just listen through it. If burn in isn't real, then I have wasted no time doing a silly procedure while depriving myself of the use of my gear. And if it is real, then I can listen through it and just enjoy the ride and also not deprive myself of any head time.

I get the argument to be made for reviewers who want to eliminate the possibility either way, but for me, again, I would just listen and enjoy the ride.
I totally agree ! You shouldn't wait to listen to something just because it's possible that there could be improvements with burn in. Just enjoy the ride and listen to what you paid for :) If you can tell a difference after a couple hours, then awesome, but at least you won't waste your time if nothing changes.

Jul 14, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #11,644 of 23,721
Do you give the IEMs a rest during burn-in or just let them run for the full 100/200 hours?

Full 200 hours none stop if you cant do that simply accumulate the 200hours

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #11,645 of 23,721
A couple hours' rest every 5-10h?
I meant just do 5-10h if it makes you feel better, but no real point in going over that in my opinion. I usually do that with headphones that use big dynamic drivers the first night I get them. For IEMs, especially for full BA sets, the difference will most likely be inaudible.

Jul 15, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #11,646 of 23,721
My Nio arrived today! Definitely impressed out of the box and may end up selling my U12t if my testing continues on this course. I'm hearing similarities as others have stated vs. U12t: The Nio has those dynamic lows that slam along with the excellent mids of the U12t and a little bit smoother/rolled off treble vs. U12t. The vocals and guitars have a very similar tone to the U12t which is what I was hoping for, but with more body and still forward in the sound signature. I am using the Fir O module which seems to be the best balance for what I want (with slight EQ to enhance airiness). I agree the U12t has more airiness but the Nio is not far behind and definitely more exciting. It's handled all genres I've thrown at it well so far unlike the U12t which I think struggles with modern progressive rock. Much more listening to go but off to a great start!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #11,647 of 23,721
My Nio arrived today! Definitely impressed out of the box and may end up selling my U12t if my testing continues on this course. I'm hearing similarities as others have stated vs. U12t: The Nio has those dynamic lows that slam along with the excellent mids of the U12t and a little bit smoother/rolled off treble vs. U12t. The vocals and guitars have a very similar tone to the U12t which is what I was hoping for, but with more body and still forward in the sound signature. I am using the Fir O module which seems to be the best balance for what I want (with slight EQ to enhance airiness). I agree the U12t has more airiness but the Nio is not far behind and definitely more exciting. It's handled all genres I've thrown at it well so far unlike the U12t which I think struggles with modern progressive rock. Much more listening to go but off to a great start!
When did you order?

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #11,648 of 23,721

Has anyone ever done a blind test where they present the same person with a headphone one "burned-in" and the other straight ouf the box? Id love to see the results. I dont believe in burn-in other than brain burn-in. And i feel if it were a real thing the changes would be so minute that its most likely placebo'n the user but that is the beauty of any hobby. The journey regadless of how real or not it is.

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #11,649 of 23,721

But the U12t is more expensive? and has more drivers. I don't see how the Nio can beat the U12t

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #11,650 of 23,721
Jul 16, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #11,652 of 23,721
But the U12t is more expensive? and has more drivers. I don't see how the Nio can beat the U12t
Well the U12t isn't that much more expensive. More drivers and higher price doesn't always equal better either. Just a different flavor to suit particular tastes.

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #11,654 of 23,721
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but the number of drivers isn't a direct correlation with sound quality. A good example of this would be the VisionEars VE8. It has 8 drivers, but outclasses a lot of the competition just by its tuning and coherency.

You ordered a Custom one? or Universal?
The Nio can only be ordered as a UIEM :) The closest to it in terms of customs is the N8.

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #11,655 of 23,721
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but the number of drivers isn't a direct correlation with sound quality. A good example of this would be the VisionEars VE8. It has 8 drivers, but outclasses a lot of the competition just by its tuning and coherency.
Yea I was being Sarcastic

Any good looking headphone stand for the Arya?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back