The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 24, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #10,846 of 23,608
My blind buy was the Trio specifically because I wanted more bass oompf than the U12t provided. However, I can't fault your thinking, the U12t sounds really good.
I've been quite curious myself about the Trio reading all the recent posts. The only thing I've ever 'missed' on the rare occasion with my U12t is some real bass oomph, but from everything I've read about the Trio, I don't want the thinner mids and hotter highs of the Trio in exchange for extra bass. I want the U12t as-is with extra bass kick, in a universal IEM. Is that too much to ask for? 😉

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #10,847 of 23,608
I've been quite curious myself about the Trio reading all the recent posts. The only thing I've ever 'missed' on the rare occasion with my U12t is some real bass oomph, but from everything I've read about the Trio, I don't want the thinner mids and hotter highs of the Trio in exchange for extra bass. I want the U12t as-is with extra bass kick, in a universal IEM. Is that too much to ask for? 😉
Now I haven't heard the U12T so this is just based on me having the Trio and trying multiple Empire Ears, Sony, Campfire Audio and Moondrop IEM's. I find the Trio (for me) has nearly the perfect bass. Could I use a little more? Sure, but not Empire Ears level bass. The bass is impactful enough for me to enjoy my EDM without feeling it's missing the mark. It's also held back enough to not overpower the overall sound. I don't find the mids all that recessed against these others. Maybe against the Solaris 2020, but that thing is really good except for that bass impact I crave. Also, the treble to me is similar to the Solaris 2020. I am very sensitive to sibilance or hot highs and almost all of the other IEM's I tried triggered that in some way. I don't get that same reaction to the highs on the Trio. They stand out enough to be energetic, but not enough to cause me a problem if that makes sense. So that's my two cents on it. Everyone's ears are different so YMMV.

Jun 24, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #10,848 of 23,608
Now I haven't heard the U12T so this is just based on me having the Trio and trying multiple Empire Ears, Sony, Campfire Audio and Moondrop IEM's. I find the Trio (for me) has nearly the perfect bass. Could I use a little more? Sure, but not Empire Ears level bass. The bass is impactful enough for me to enjoy my EDM without feeling it's missing the mark. It's also held back enough to not overpower the overall sound. I don't find the mids all that recessed against these others. Maybe against the Solaris 2020, but that thing is really good except for that bass impact I crave. Also, the treble to me is similar to the Solaris 2020. I am very sensitive to sibilance or hot highs and almost all of the other IEM's I tried triggered that in some way. I don't get that same reaction to the highs on the Trio. They stand out enough to be energetic, but not enough to cause me a problem if that makes sense. So that's my two cents on it. Everyone's ears are different so YMMV.
That's great feedback. I only mention thinner mids and hotter highs in relation to comparisons I've read with the U12t, not as absolute descriptors. Knowing 64A there won't be much out of place with any part of the FR on the Trio. Oddly enough I find the U12t bass more than powerful enough for the odd times I use them for EDM. If the Trio bass is elevated and more punchy by comparison, it'll likely more than suffice. That's why I was kinda hoping the Nio would be that U12t + punchier bass unicorn. We'll know soon enough.

Jun 24, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #10,850 of 23,608
My NIO will be here tomorrow.
Excellent! Good news.
If I may, I'd love to see a pic of the Nio and your SE side-by-side...

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #10,851 of 23,608
Can somebody confirm that length of the nozzle of the Trio is (much) shorter than the u12t?
Is the size of the shell and weight identical?

If this helps, from my three year old review of Trio/U12t where I had Trio/Fourte lined up next to U12t/U18t. If you look at the nozzle plus the "hump" of hybrid designs it might add up to the same insertion depth as the nozzle and a small "hump" of all-BA designs.

64audio_trio_u12t-53.jpg

64audio_trio_u12t-54.jpg

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #10,852 of 23,608
That's great feedback. I only mention thinner mids and hotter highs in relation to comparisons I've read with the U12t, not as absolute descriptors. Knowing 64A there won't be much out of place with any part of the FR on the Trio. Oddly enough I find the U12t bass more than powerful enough for the odd times I use them for EDM. If the Trio bass is elevated and more punchy by comparison, it'll likely more than suffice. That's why I was kinda hoping the Nio would be that U12t + punchier bass unicorn. We'll know soon enough.
To be fair though I am not using the 64 Audio cable or the eartips they provide so that's likely changing the sound signature for me as well. I'm using the Dunu Hulk cable and Azla Sedna eartips.

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #10,853 of 23,608
Excellent! Good news.
If I may, I'd love to see a pic of the Nio and your SE side-by-side...

That can give you a psychedelic trip if you stare at it for too long :D

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #10,854 of 23,608
Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #10,856 of 23,608
Jun 24, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #10,859 of 23,608
If this helps, from my three year old review of Trio/U12t where I had Trio/Fourte lined up next to U12t/U18t. If you look at the nozzle plus the "hump" of hybrid designs it might add up to the same insertion depth as the nozzle and a small "hump" of all-BA designs.

64audio_trio_u12t-53.jpg

64audio_trio_u12t-54.jpg
Interesting. U12t would then probably be 'shallower' insertion compared to the Trio using the same size (depth) tips.

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #10,860 of 23,608

Users who are viewing this thread

Back