The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 24, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #976 of 23,556
Finally found out what my problem was...apparently the polarity of the sockets in the Tia Fourtes were opposite to my other iems. Therefore my initial impressions were based on the out of phase sound that was coming out of them. However after I made this discovery, I found that the bass was a bit too thick with the 1960 cable so I went out last week to try out a bunch of different cables. Finally ended up with the Brise Audio UPG Ref and enjoying them immensely so far.

This is quite alarming - is it true that the 64s' polarity are reversed, like Earsonics? The only iem brand I knew which got the polarity reversed was Earsonics and had always thought 64's polarity should be conventional, i.e. the dent on the 2 pin connector always faces outwards.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #977 of 23,556
This is quite alarming - is it true that the 64s' polarity are reversed, like Earsonics? The only iem brand I knew which got the polarity reversed was Earsonics and had always thought 64's polarity should be conventional, i.e. the dent on the 2 pin connector always faces outwards.
Not sure about Earsonics, but the Tia Fourte's polarity were definitely opposite to the isine 20, all three of my Tralucent iems, and the two Unique Melody iems I have.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #978 of 23,556
Not sure about Earsonics, but the Tia Fourte's polarity were definitely opposite to the isine 20, all three of my Tralucent iems, and the two Unique Melody iems I have.

On just one pair that you tried?

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #980 of 23,556
Jul 24, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #981 of 23,556
IEMs with UM/UE-type connectors are supposed to have reverse polarity compared to cm-type connectors, it's perfectly UM/UE fault IMO.
Thanks for the info, wish I had known about this earlier. :grinning:

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #982 of 23,556
So can someone with more official info confirm? It would spell disaster for many of us who swap cables more than eating vegetables.................Many of the after market cables have fixed earguides instead of memory wires nowadays.............

And @Decreate you certain about the reversed polarity on your pair by listening or doing measurements?

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #983 of 23,556
So can someone with more official info confirm? It would spell disaster for many of us who swap cables more than eating vegetables.................Many of the after market cables have fixed earguides instead of memory wires nowadays.............

And @Decreate you certain about the reversed polarity on your pair by listening or doing measurements?
LoL seriously do you ever need to confirm this. It is quite a common sense UE/UM connectors are reversed from CM. It is what you need to do to plug cm cables to ue/um iems, they are not meant to be used normally in ue/um iems, Just reverse the plug and you are fine, it just looks ugly though.

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #984 of 23,556
LoL seriously do you ever need to confirm this. It is quite a common sense UE/UM connectors are reversed from CM. It is what you need to do to plug cm cables to ue/um iems, they are not meant to be used normally in ue/um iems, Just reverse the plug and you are fine, it just looks ugly though.

Lol are you serious? The 64s are NOT UE/UM connectors - they are conventional 2-pin CM. Wholly different specs with the UE/UM (though remotely compatible)

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #986 of 23,556
I have never experienced flipped polarity in the U18/Fourte units that I've tried. They follow almost every other CIEM demo unit in terms of polarity.

If in doubt, you can always download a phase check file to check.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #987 of 23,556
and they behave totally the same like other CM specs. He's comparing cm connectors with ue/um iems, that's why they are comparatively reversed.

Ah I see where you are heading......................but @Decreate mentioned iSine, Translucent and UM. AFAIK both iSine and Translucent follows conventional polarity, no?

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #988 of 23,556
In that case does that mean the Tralucents and the isine 20 are UE/UM connectors?

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #989 of 23,556
In that case does that mean the Tralucents and the isine 20 are UE/UM connectors?

No. AFAIK They should have opposite polarity to your UM iems.

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #990 of 23,556
I have been trying the Tia Forte at CanJam London thanks to Ethan straight from my Tera Player. This player is well known for being natural sounding and organic, analogue but is hard to find a good IEM that has sinergy due to high ohm output.
Fortunately Tia Forte sounded big and wide with fantastic clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back