The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 29, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #886 of 23,568
I agree with Alex that A18 is best paired with a (simple) copper cable. A18 is tuned with a significant lift in its lower treble that gives it that exciting sound, but it puts some limitations on pairings. With the RW AK380 I find silver or silver-gold cables to sound harsh. However, it also depends on the source as Sony WM1Z pairs excellently with brighter iems, and I even enjoy the M15 module more (with the AK it sounds a bit clinical). But basically, I find the A18 a perfect example where more expensive in terms of cables, does not mean better. Unless you can afford a SilverFi IEM-R4 or R5, in that case it is way better :D

I can stand silver-gold with the U18 (source being the WM1A, WM1Z and Onkyo Rubato........I went AK-less finally after loaning out my AK380Cu combo) but haven't tried a pure silver yet.

Now I found myself liking the sound of Dita Truth almost as much as the Ares II+ with the U18............The 3T conductor is just a tad more transparent sounding than the Ares or the Brise, tho a bit more polite / less excitement than the copper offerings. Gotta see if I can withstand the inconvenience. The Ares II+ is just too supple and flexible to be real.........

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #887 of 23,568
You do that in front of a mirror.

After spending most of the day in front of the mirror playing paper, scissors, rock the outcome was still a draw, so flipped a coin - FOURTE!!

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #889 of 23,568
I can stand silver-gold with the U18 (source being the WM1A, WM1Z and Onkyo Rubato........I went AK-less finally after loaning out my AK380Cu combo) but haven't tried a pure silver yet.

Now I found myself liking the sound of Dita Truth almost as much as the Ares II+ with the U18............The 3T conductor is just a tad more transparent sounding than the Ares or the Brise, tho a bit more polite / less excitement than the copper offerings. Gotta see if I can withstand the inconvenience. The Ares II+ is just too supple and flexible to be real.........
Yes I can imagine, there's a big difference when paired with the WM1Z vs the AK. The WM1Z has a big cut in the lower treble following its 6 KHz peak, which works amazingly well to provide a nice timbre even with brighter iems. I will admit I haven't tried pairing silver alloy cables with A18 since I got the Sony, but even with the M15 alone there is a large difference between the players.

Jul 1, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #892 of 23,568
Just tested the U18 against the Fourte again today, and I still feel like the lower treble of the Fourte breaks the deal (for me at least). It sounds great, but on many songs from many different genres, from cymbals to electronic music 'bursts' (?!?!???!), the Fourte always sounded slightly shrill. The decay and cohesiveness is still mighty impressive though..

Jul 1, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #893 of 23,568
Just tested the U18 against the Fourte again today, and I still feel like the lower treble of the Fourte breaks the deal (for me at least). It sounds great, but on many songs from many different genres, from cymbals to electronic music 'bursts' (?!?!???!), the Fourte always sounded slightly shrill. The decay and cohesiveness is still mighty impressive though..
What player are you using?

Jul 1, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #894 of 23,568

Ed, which cable did you use with Fourte? I remember TIA Fourte pre-production unit at CanJam NYC sounded like what you have described when I tried it with 1960 4wire. I know production units of U18 and Fourte have been finetuned, so can't judge it yet (will compare U18 to Fourte soon), but still curious.

Jul 2, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #895 of 23,568
What player are you using?

I was using my modded 240SS, which to be fair is still somewhat bright. I also tried a 380, a 300 and a Sony 1Z :|

Ed, which cable did you use with Fourte? I remember TIA Fourte pre-production unit at CanJam NYC sounded like what you have described when I tried it with 1960 4wire. I know production units of U18 and Fourte have been finetuned, so can't judge it yet (will compare U18 to Fourte soon), but still curious.

Hey Alex, I was using both stock cable and 1960 4wire. The 1960 helped to reduce the shrillness a bit, generally making the sound darker as expected, but there were still issues.

Jul 2, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #896 of 23,568
I was using my modded 240SS, which to be fair is still somewhat bright. I also tried a 380, a 300 and a Sony 1Z :|

Hey Alex, I was using both stock cable and 1960 4wire. The 1960 helped to reduce the shrillness a bit, generally making the sound darker as expected, but there were still issues.
Looks like you need some pure and cheap copper cable!

Jul 2, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #897 of 23,568
Jul 2, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #900 of 23,568
has anyone also heard the HifiMan RE2000 and can compare it to the U18 or Fourte ? Totally different technology for those TOLs !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back