The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 26, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #856 of 23,565
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #857 of 23,565
Nice review! Thanks.

So the Zeus and the U18 seem to be on the same technical level with the Zeus being more forward in upper mids and U18 with more bass. Are they more alike SQ wise when you use the U18 with the M15 module?

There is definitely more resemblance with U18 w/M15, but the bass quantity still can't be matched and I know Zeus hissing is a sore subject for some people (depending on your DAP source, of course). I still think these IEMs compliment rather than compete against each other. It's hard to determine an overall #1 best IEM, because in reality it's going to be #1 best IEM for a specific person based on his/her individual sound preference. But I gotta tell you, U18 hits very high!

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #858 of 23,565
In deepth comparaison between U18 and Fourté ? anybody ? Please do not oblige me to buy booth :wink:

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #860 of 23,565
In deepth comparaison between U18 and Fourté ? anybody ? Please do not oblige me to buy booth :wink:
Sorry, but it is hard not to want both unless you are very focused on your preferences or needs. I see the Fourte' as meatier in its presentation/texturing given the dynamic driver with the 18 being more transparent, but digs deeper in sub bass and even having better impact at times down low. The Fourte' is always fun, the 18 is more emotional. I would use the Fourte' for day time fun and the 18 for my nighttime critical listening in the dark. As I said before, playing a sad song - the Fourte' would have me on the desk and pumping my fist while screaming with delight while the 18 would bring a tear to my eye and have me intensely listening to each word in the song while feeling the singers pain. I want both. The secret sauce for both seem to be that tia treble drivers that provides an unreal clarity and effortlessly pushes detail. The Fourte' and 18 have definitely pushed up the bar to a new level for CIEMs where they are now comparable to full sized TOTL exotic HPs.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #861 of 23,565
I listened to the U18 yesterday. It is an extremely nice iem. I did not spend enough time there to do reliable critical listening vs my Zeus, but its stage is bigger than my Zeus XRA and it is more effortless in it's presentation, sounding a little more relaxed but with more bass presence. I will be buying them. My intention was to buy the Fourte to compliment the Zeus, but after hearing the U18 I feel I will have to get the U18 and probably the Fourte also. I listened to these with the ak380 with and without amp, the Sony 1z, and also the AK SP1000. I had a really good time.

Also, I knew it would sound good from everyone's opinion's, however I was shocked at how goog looking they are in person. Up until yesterday I thought they looked ugly, but in the flesh they are gorgeous. Very nice stock cable too.

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #862 of 23,565
I listened to the U18 yesterday. It is an extremely nice iem. I did not spend enough time there to do reliable critical listening vs my Zeus, but its stage is bigger than my Zeus XRA and it is more effortless in it's presentation, sounding a little more relaxed but with more bass presence. I will be buying them. My intention was to buy the Fourte to compliment the Zeus, but after hearing the U18 I feel I will have to get the U18 and probably the Fourte also. I listened to these with the ak380 with and without amp, the Sony 1z, and also the AK SP1000. I had a really good time.

Also, I knew it would sound good from everyone's opinion's, however I was shocked at how goog looking they are in person. Up until yesterday I thought they looked ugly, but in the flesh they are gorgeous. Very nice stock cable too.

Maybe you can get another 1960s cable to pair up with the u18, thats an awesome combination:)

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #863 of 23,565
Maybe you can get another 1960s cable to pair up with the u18, thats an awesome combination:)

Did you try U18 with 2wire or 4wire 1960? All just a matter of personal taste, but I wasn't too crazy about either pair ups since it makes sound a bit too revealing at the top. I do like stock cable, but constantly swap between PWA No5 and EA Ares II, and at the current moment Ares II is my favorite. No5 gives you that bass, but top end becomes a little too smooth. Ares II keeps the bass (with a touch less impact in comparison to No5) and the sparkle of upper mids/treble without pushing it over the threshold of harshness. Again, my ears have higher level of sensitivity to upper frequencies (and I'm using silicone tips, not foams, and M20 module), so I don't guarantee everybody will hear the same.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #864 of 23,565
Did you try U18 with 2wire or 4wire 1960? All just a matter of personal taste, but I wasn't too crazy about either pair ups since it makes sound a bit too revealing at the top. I do like stock cable, but constantly swap between PWA No5 and EA Ares II, and at the current moment Ares II is my favorite. No5 gives you that bass, but top end becomes a little too smooth. Ares II keeps the bass (with a touch less impact in comparison to No5) and the sparkle of upper mids/treble without pushing it over the threshold of harshness. Again, my ears have higher level of sensitivity to upper frequencies (and I'm using silicone tips, not foams, and M20 module), so I don't guarantee everybody will hear the same.
I do miss the highs of the silver cables but I just can't resist PWA no5 in such a low cost compared to those expensive mark-up cables! May be I shall try EA Ares II next! I am now sticking with Sony hybrid tips for better bass and better intimacy,
ccQ4Tyq2-eE_Oajy8pB_G2vD4CI983NYpdDl6FQ9iWPdCZh3srIX6KkoypuaW4i-9utMuCp_-w-CLY6UMVaphjT8_oQ6-LP33M7s3AulDj_e_cC3wADsP_pEX0ReOboaDchmGk0BK43IKh-r6D9mjI4Qr-HiPVqH4dUzBElME7NfbUR8LQ_t2V6GvF95N5p78dWaIFJo518NMQorZd1F5thkidOazA1cHAJLll5wpoSG8GgykxKyRx5TKKzMTnbb08hYbgZ-jzcBkb0m_JB20lC6isvxrE9V7u0AA87DBa64kjhpnF2EX7v20bFkaCrbSTINWZwlDa7Sb0qjoe3mNzQgtjwM_im_ENVFmbzCcv44fJyqfpcMK40sQPfQz-djLb51VBH41OP_xJ3DVpS7IbZLMZoYVXPnMEF_cSj8XlRMkmQDoovf8EDfaFI0cdFDpq0GBZFNKaFsvyhdPSnU1T7LRvj14BDvaInUNNDtU06mprtcAsfStMo08YefuCaNYI0jnLWFLiXrviJxtlotSQsl8HIyF4gOh4HoHadPqTFyH6GedX2BZlmwiIegjw99ybnX6sjDZK4LAFMvrjZtiZ5k-gTQc7cStc_Tz28ijIFRJ6jf6ucqYA=w1259-h944-no

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #865 of 23,565
I do miss the highs of the silver cables but I just can't resist PWA no5 in such a low cost compared to those expensive mark-up cables! May be I shall try EA Ares II next! I am now sticking with Sony hybrid tips for better bass and better intimacy,
ccQ4Tyq2-eE_Oajy8pB_G2vD4CI983NYpdDl6FQ9iWPdCZh3srIX6KkoypuaW4i-9utMuCp_-w-CLY6UMVaphjT8_oQ6-LP33M7s3AulDj_e_cC3wADsP_pEX0ReOboaDchmGk0BK43IKh-r6D9mjI4Qr-HiPVqH4dUzBElME7NfbUR8LQ_t2V6GvF95N5p78dWaIFJo518NMQorZd1F5thkidOazA1cHAJLll5wpoSG8GgykxKyRx5TKKzMTnbb08hYbgZ-jzcBkb0m_JB20lC6isvxrE9V7u0AA87DBa64kjhpnF2EX7v20bFkaCrbSTINWZwlDa7Sb0qjoe3mNzQgtjwM_im_ENVFmbzCcv44fJyqfpcMK40sQPfQz-djLb51VBH41OP_xJ3DVpS7IbZLMZoYVXPnMEF_cSj8XlRMkmQDoovf8EDfaFI0cdFDpq0GBZFNKaFsvyhdPSnU1T7LRvj14BDvaInUNNDtU06mprtcAsfStMo08YefuCaNYI0jnLWFLiXrviJxtlotSQsl8HIyF4gOh4HoHadPqTFyH6GedX2BZlmwiIegjw99ybnX6sjDZK4LAFMvrjZtiZ5k-gTQc7cStc_Tz28ijIFRJ6jf6ucqYA=w1259-h944-no

Now does No5 changes Fourte sound in comparison to the stock cable? And i'm intentionally saying "changes" instead of "improves" because we all hear things differently :wink:

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #866 of 23,565

Do try the Ares II+ as well, to me I found the + to have a tiny bit better mid-hi to high coherency and a tad wider soundstage than the II. Still my fav with the U18 after trying all I have (many of which costing up to 7 to 8 times of the Ares) and all the stores could offer. My fav, not necessarily the best or the only best. For instance I also like the results of pairing the U18 with a bespoke Effect Leonidas+Mars 8 wires - monster of a cable - but that costs 10X the Ares and only offered a different but equally high level of performance, each having their own strengths.

I am sticking with the Ares II+ right now..........I aim at trying it with some pure silver cables (probably Effect Thor Silver II+ and plussound pure silver) later this week. I'd love to try some DHC SP and elite 19 too but chances of that happening are slimmer.

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #867 of 23,565
Fourte or U18? Damn I am struggling to decide. Will eventually get both, but which first. Decisions, decisions....

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #868 of 23,565
Jun 29, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #869 of 23,565
Heads Fourte, tails U18?

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #870 of 23,565
Do try the Ares II+ as well, to me I found the + to have a tiny bit better mid-hi to high coherency and a tad wider soundstage than the II. Still my fav with the U18 after trying all I have (many of which costing up to 7 to 8 times of the Ares) and all the stores could offer. My fav, not necessarily the best or the only best. For instance I also like the results of pairing the U18 with a bespoke Effect Leonidas+Mars 8 wires - monster of a cable - but that costs 10X the Ares and only offered a different but equally high level of performance, each having their own strengths.

I am sticking with the Ares II+ right now..........I aim at trying it with some pure silver cables (probably Effect Thor Silver II+ and plussound pure silver) later this week. I'd love to try some DHC SP and elite 19 too but chances of that happening are slimmer.

Two more cables tried and considered great combo with U18:
- Brise Audio UPG001Ref - a more close-in soundstage than the other recommended cables, but in return very meaty and visceral presentation. Drawback - very rigid and stubborn cable, questionable ergonomics
- Dita / Van den Hul Truth - Extreme coherence and low-level detailing, very delicate and refined presentation. Perfect anti-thesis to the Ares II+'s big, rich and lush sound. Drawback - very springy and bouncy on the move despite fine ergonomics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back