The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Feb 8, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #8,911 of 23,565
So I start my day, still in bed, with the U12t and put on U2 The Joshua Tree. I hadn‘t listened to this with the U12t yet... I was in high school when this album came out and it was huge... I’ve loved it ever since but really haven’t listened to it much in the last 25 years.

I kinda had mixed feelings at first because I have old emotional attachments to these songs and the sheer clarity of the U12t kinda laid bare the fact that these are a few dudes making music. I felt I could understand why the U12t would be so good for studio mixing because nothing is hidden and everything is extremely “real“ sounding. So I kinda lost a bit of the emotion for the technicalities...

But then it changed...I had beeen jumping around and went back to. Where the Streets Have No Name and suddenly it all clicked. I could hear all the parts and how they all came together and could hear the absolute genius of this band. Each part is so simple in its own way but the timbres each coaxes out of their instruments... the dull thump of the bass line, the mallets on the toms, the highs in the guitar all in a combined driving rhythm with the long notes of Bono’s voice in counterpart... I had tears in my eyes... Amazing stuff..
After so many years with that song as an “entity” I heard it taken apart and put back together again and marvelled at how good it really was..

Nice..!
Just wow. Lol. Happy for you.

Feb 8, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #8,912 of 23,565
Not sure if you’re taking the piss but thanks.. ha ha

I mention this as it’s really a different experience in iems for me. It’s akin to what I had the Stax 007/717 many years ago and got that revelatory experience with a piece of music and finally “got it”. Most iem changes tend to alter the “entity” of the piece but it always has that sense of it being a recording. The U12t , for me, tends to freak me out a little because vocals sound as real as if the person is there... sometimes to the detriment of the music but others times to the benefit..

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #8,913 of 23,565
Not sure if you’re taking the piss but thanks.. ha ha

I mention this as it’s really a different experience in iems for me. It’s akin to what I had the Stax 007/717 many years ago and got that revelatory experience with a piece of music and finally “got it”. Most iem changes tend to alter the “entity” of the piece but it always has that sense of it being a recording. The U12t , for me, tends to freak me out a little because vocals sound as real as if the person is there... sometimes to the detriment of the music but others times to the benefit..
I do not even know what taking a piss in your context means. I am just happy for you bud.

Feb 8, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #8,914 of 23,565
I do not even know what taking a piss in your context means. I am just happy for you bud.
I had lots of brothers growing up so mentioning I had a tear in my eye and your “lol” reminded me of what my brothers would’ve said if I mentioned having an emotion like that to music... ha.
Just wondering if you were poking fun...

Thanks though!!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #8,915 of 23,565

"Taking the piss" is British slang for "joking around" (in keeping with his avatar perhaps)...he was basically asking if you were sincere in your sentiment.

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #8,916 of 23,565
Giving my A18t some love lately, definitely a breath of fresh air after listening to the FiR M5 daily for almost one month. Really makes me appreciate the neutralness of the A18t. Allows me to just sit back and zone out with the music whereas the M5 makes me feel like I need to get up and dance to the beat. XD

Feb 8, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #8,919 of 23,565
64Audio's customer service sucks. I think I'll be returning my IEMs, as I don't like to support such companies.

After getting my new U12T, I ordered a 4.4mm cable, paying the shippings costs (as 64 Audio charges, even on their most expensive products) for Priority Mail. A week later, the postman delivers the package and says that I owe $18 because the shipping label specified Priority Mail Express but the company only paid for Priority Mai (which he showed me both points on the label). After 10 minutes arguing with the postman, he says he needs to return it if I don't pay the $18 (in cash BTW, which I don't have on me).

I politely contacted 64Audio, asking if they could ship another cable, and expedite it, and their response (with the tone of politely saying "f** you") was the shipping issue isn't their fault (without even having seen the label, which the postman showed me), and they'll keep an eye out for the return, but will only then ship it again with Priority Mail. So now it looks like three weeks to get the damn cable I paid for.

Sorry, in this day & age when most online vendors provide good customer service, especially when the fault is their own, I'm not going to spend $2K on a boutique product then accept crap customer service. There are many other IEM manufacturers to choose from.

They just did the same thing to me! Just got a USPS slip saying I need to go to the post office and pay ~$20 to pick up the cable I ordered! Sounds like whoever is shipping things at 64 is doing something very wrong. Just tell me what the damn shipping costs are up front and I will make the decision on whether or not to pay it when I order.

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #8,923 of 23,565
I covered it in details here.

Thanks for the review, I ordered Fir ATOM XL, arrived yesterday.
Gave them a quick test,
- yes, Fir ATOM XL "-" module produces less bass resonance compared to M15.
- "Neutral" module produces similar level or a little bit more bass compared to M15.
- "+" module produces more bass compared to M15.

Understood why U12/A12 is bass heavy (to my taste), because it need to be used by music performers on-stage. In this noisy environment, IEM has to produce more bass in order for the listener to hear everything.
When I am jogging I use M15, I don't feel M15 has too much bass; when I am on an airplane, I use M20; when I am in a quiet room, Fir Atom XL "-" is perfect.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #8,924 of 23,565
Thanks for the review, I ordered Fir ATOM XL, arrived yesterday.
Gave them a quick test,
- yes, Fir ATOM XL "-" module produces less bass resonance compared to M15.
- "Neutral" module produces similar level or a little bit more bass compared to M15.
- "+" module produces more bass compared to M15.

Understood why U12/A12 is bass heavy (to my taste), because it need to be used by music performers on-stage. In this noisy environment, IEM has to produce more bass in order for the listener to hear everything.
When I am jogging I use M15, I don't feel M15 has too much bass; when I am on an airplane, I use M20; when I am in a quiet room, Fir Atom XL "-" is perfect.
So if I wanted Less bass on a 64 audio iem, using the fir audio modules. Which should I get to suppress bass as much as possible?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #8,925 of 23,565
So if I wanted Less bass on a 64 audio iem, using the fir audio modules. Which should I get to suppress bass as much as possible?

The lower the number, the less the bass, so FIR module N13 would be the least bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back