The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 11, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #4,921 of 23,651
Im just trying to reach a point where I'm happy with what I have and can just go, "This is nice, but I don't really need it" when I try stuff out. But not sure how far I am from that...

If you stay on headfi that will never happen :p

Me I'm just trying to find a nice setup that fits my ears nicely (and yes I've tried customs and universals) sounds good, blocks out noise and comfortable to wear for long hours at the work desk. Not much to ask is it? :p

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #4,922 of 23,651
I'm actually having trouble deciding between the N8 and A18t now. I notice that N8 is only available for ordering with the M15 APEX module though? I see that Crin measured the N8 with the M20, so I wonder why. I use my CIEM's a lot on noisy airplanes so I do value isolation. I guess I can always buy the M20's later.

Two completely different sound signatures, like night and day (talking about N8 and A18t). N8 only comes with M15, but I tested it both with M15 and M20 and the sound difference is very subtle, if any.

Jul 11, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #4,923 of 23,651
Two completely different sound signatures, like night and day (talking about N8 and A18t). N8 only comes with M15, but I tested it both with M15 and M20 and the sound difference is very subtle, if any.

Thanks, would you say it's kind of a Vega (N8) vs Andromeda (A18t) situation? Maybe something more like HD650 (N8) vs HD800 (A18t)?

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #4,924 of 23,651
Thanks, would you say it's kind of a Vega (N8) vs Andromeda (A18t) situation? Maybe something more like HD650 (N8) vs HD800 (A18t)?

I think you are in the right ballpark with Vega vs Andro :wink:

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #4,925 of 23,651
This is interesting, m15/m20 sounding similar on the N8, what about noise isolation? any difference?

Jul 12, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #4,926 of 23,651
On the N8, the M20 module has slightly more bass but isolation takes quite a big hit. For most intents and purposes I think the M20 would be a better option, not sure why 64 Audio puts the M15 has an noninterchangeable default during the order process.

At any case, the use of EQ will be preferred since the only real glaring flaw in the N8 is the quantity of the bass, but the low distortion nature of the DD woofer responds very well to software DSP especially if you're doing subtractive EQ. It's actually pretty easy to make the N8 sound sterile when you cut off enough of the low-end response.

Jul 12, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #4,928 of 23,651
I once tried to eq more bass for an all-BA iem. There was indeed distortion. Is there a general rule of thumb with eqing BA drivers?

BA woofers inherently have a lot of third-order distortion which subjectively removes a lot of body to the bass. There is no rule of thumb specifically regarding BA drivers, however just note that there is no way to EQ a BA system to sound like a DD since the problems are beyond simply FR.

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #4,929 of 23,651
I once tried to eq more bass for an all-BA iem. There was indeed distortion. Is there a general rule of thumb with eqing BA drivers?

I eq more bass into my A18t all the time. No distortion whatsoever. :) I think distortion is a combination of the right eq, noise floor of the dap and how the BA’s react to extra amount of bass.

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #4,930 of 23,651
I eq more bass into my A18t all the time. No distortion whatsoever. :) I think distortion is a combination of the right eq, noise floor of the dap and how the BA’s react to extra amount of bass.

The distortion we're talking about is slightly different from the mainstream definition of distortion. It is not "clipping" but rather that the inherent distortion that makes BA bass sound like BA bass still stays the same regardless of how much you add or subtract in EQ. Though there are also cases where the BA distortion increases after additive EQ.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #4,931 of 23,651
EQ? Wouldn't it make better to buy something with a sound signature that you actually like? The very thought of it makes my soul shiver.

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #4,932 of 23,651
EQ? Wouldn't it make better to buy something with a sound signature that you actually like? The very thought of it makes my soul shiver.

In this very specific case, we were talking about the M20/M15 APEX modules. I made a few points:
  • The difference between the two modules are minimal, with the most notable difference being a very slight reduction in bass.
  • Considering the difference, the "benefits" one gains from the M15 module does not outweigh the sacrifice of losing 5dBs of isolation.
  • If there is someone who is considering using the M15 module as a way to get less bass out of the N8, it is far more economical and sonically better to simply use EQ to reduce the bass instead and continue using the M20 module.
  • Side point and considering the above, why 64 Audio decided to make the M15 module a noninterchangeable default only on the N8 is beyond me.
Also, EQ is free. APEX modules are not. Though if you find yourself a situation where you need EQ to enjoy an IEM, then don't even bother and look somewhere else. But that's not the point that I'm trying to make here.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #4,933 of 23,651
In this very specific case, we were talking about the M20/M15 APEX modules. I made a few points:
  • The difference between the two modules are minimal, with the most notable difference being a very slight reduction in bass.
  • Considering the difference, the "benefits" one gains from the M15 module does not outweigh the sacrifice of losing 5dBs of isolation.
  • If there is someone who is considering using the M15 module as a way to get less bass out of the N8, it is far more economical and sonically better to simply use EQ to reduce the bass instead and continue using the M20 module.
  • Side point and considering the above, why 64 Audio decided to make the M15 module a noninterchangeable default only on the N8 is beyond me.
Also, EQ is free. APEX modules are not.
I can see your point. Personally Id rather get something else than be forced to EQ. But thats just me.

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #4,934 of 23,651
64Audio should consider to release more APEX modules to suits various people desire. N8 is nonetheless lack of sub-bass for my ears!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back