The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jul 10, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #4,906 of 23,663
LrcuSSyh.jpg

A mighty pairing, indeed.

Astell&Kern SE100>Leonoidas>tia Fourté
I think drop dead gorgeous fits that better, esp the SE100 and Leonidas.

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #4,907 of 23,663
How safe a buy is the A18t for someone who likes the sound of things like Mr Speakers Ether Flow, Campfire Vega, Periodic Be. Basically I just like clarity and good treble extension with modestly lifted bass, especially below 100hz. I presently have a Futuresonics MG5hx CIEM, Vega, Periodic Be and Etymotic ER-4p......out of the 4 I probably like the Periodic Be's sound the best but its ergos are just not usable outside of sitting down somewhere. If I had my way I would somehow combine the bass of the Periodic wth the clarity and detail of the ER-4, and the Vega kinda does that, but it still has a level of mushiness, especially when I compare to my HD800 or Ether Flow (not fair I know). Also the eartips on universals will often get stuck in my left ear (even the small size ones) because of the smallness of my left ear canal. Annoying, but I keep a pair of scissor tweezers on hand to retrieve the stuck tips.

Futursonics MG5hx has great ergos but the treble/high end is just too roll off and it has a very closed soundstage, possibly due to the fit of the molds. Anyway, ready to try something crazy with the A18, Maybe A12 or N8. How fit dependent are the 64's considering they have the 15/20 vent systems? I have a very small left ear canal which over-seals to a vacuum easily.

My main applications are air travel and *gasp* exercise. Yeah it might be a little bit blasphemous to sweat all over a $3k CIEM but YOLO.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #4,908 of 23,663
So onto cables now because Im floundering around blindly like a Magikarp out of water.

I bought the Aries II, 4 wire with my Spartan IV because that pairing made some of the low parts more audible compared to the stock SPC cable. After changing DAPs around, I decide to plug in my A3s. Huge improvement, the bass previously felt overpowering but the Aries II brought that under control, giving me bass but not overpowering.

I'm hearing people talking about stuff like Eros, Leonidas and Lionheart, lo and behold some googlefu indicated different kinds of wiring beyond just copper. Is there some kind of rough guideline as to which cable to audition if you want to change the sound of an IEM?

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #4,909 of 23,663
@RollsDownWindowsManually
No clue about the sound signature.But speaking about Apex, you shouldnt feel any pressure at all, even for long periods. I swear it works, some people swear its snake oil.

Anyhow the 3D printing of the shells is incredibly accurate and fit depends on the quality of the impressions moreso than anything else. So send it back in if the fit is off.

Jul 10, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #4,910 of 23,663
Is there some kind of rough guideline as to which cable to audition if you want to change the sound of an IEM?

Not really.

I could say Silver makes for a brighter, clearer sound, and Copper is warmer and thicker, or Silver/Gold alloy is a sort of in between. But there are many examples where the cliché doesn't hold.

My best advice is to read reviews of these cables, pay close attention to the sound impressions, and figure out if that seems like the direction you wish to "change" your IEM. Because all cables change the headphone. Figuring out how you want to change it is the key.

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #4,911 of 23,663
So onto cables now because Im floundering around blindly like a Magikarp out of water.

I bought the Aries II, 4 wire with my Spartan IV because that pairing made some of the low parts more audible compared to the stock SPC cable. After changing DAPs around, I decide to plug in my A3s. Huge improvement, the bass previously felt overpowering but the Aries II brought that under control, giving me bass but not overpowering.

I'm hearing people talking about stuff like Eros, Leonidas and Lionheart, lo and behold some googlefu indicated different kinds of wiring beyond just copper. Is there some kind of rough guideline as to which cable to audition if you want to change the sound of an IEM?
There's a whole cable thread xD

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #4,912 of 23,663
There's a whole cable thread xD
Lol that just made me more confused, but obviously I want specific feedback regarding the A Series. Gotta know if I need to pair a new cable inadvance for budgeting

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #4,913 of 23,663
Lol that just made me more confused, but obviously I want specific feedback regarding the A Series. Gotta know if I need to pair a new cable inadvance for budgeting

You never "need" an aftermarket cable. It's more about fine tuning. And you'll only know how you wish to fine tune an IEM after you've spent time with it.

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #4,914 of 23,663
You never "need" an aftermarket cable. It's more about fine tuning. And you'll only know how you wish to fine tune an IEM after you've spent time with it.
Im just trying to reach a point where I'm happy with what I have and can just go, "This is nice, but I don't really need it" when I try stuff out. But not sure how far I am from that...

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #4,917 of 23,663
Jul 10, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #4,918 of 23,663
How safe a buy is the A18t for someone who likes the sound of things like Mr Speakers Ether Flow, Campfire Vega, Periodic Be. Basically I just like clarity and good treble extension with modestly lifted bass, especially below 100hz. I presently have a Futuresonics MG5hx CIEM, Vega, Periodic Be and Etymotic ER-4p......out of the 4 I probably like the Periodic Be's sound the best but its ergos are just not usable outside of sitting down somewhere. If I had my way I would somehow combine the bass of the Periodic wth the clarity and detail of the ER-4, and the Vega kinda does that, but it still has a level of mushiness, especially when I compare to my HD800 or Ether Flow (not fair I know). Also the eartips on universals will often get stuck in my left ear (even the small size ones) because of the smallness of my left ear canal. Annoying, but I keep a pair of scissor tweezers on hand to retrieve the stuck tips.

Futursonics MG5hx has great ergos but the treble/high end is just too roll off and it has a very closed soundstage, possibly due to the fit of the molds. Anyway, ready to try something crazy with the A18, Maybe A12 or N8. How fit dependent are the 64's considering they have the 15/20 vent systems? I have a very small left ear canal which over-seals to a vacuum easily.

My main applications are air travel and *gasp* exercise. Yeah it might be a little bit blasphemous to sweat all over a $3k CIEM but YOLO.

Considering the criteria you’ve mentioned, the A18t sounds like a great option. :wink:

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #4,919 of 23,663
how is the se100 so far? is it really worth it?

Taking the full package into account (sound, build, aesthetics, internal storage, etc...) yes. In this market, it's worth the asking price. It's a hell of a DAP.

Jul 11, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #4,920 of 23,663
I'm actually having trouble deciding between the N8 and A18t now. I notice that N8 is only available for ordering with the M15 APEX module though? I see that Crin measured the N8 with the M20, so I wonder why. I use my CIEM's a lot on noisy airplanes so I do value isolation. I guess I can always buy the M20's later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back