The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 27, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #4,801 of 23,668
Well, I always bring my IEMs out no matter how fancy, and I haven't broken one in my four years in the hobby; the single drop case I mentioned ironically happened at home. :D I think it's just a matter of being more careful.
I think it's just common sense to be careful with your Ferrari,unless you can walk into a dealership and instantly pay for one in cash. I've only had IEMs die from overuse, but then those are entry entry level stuff. God forbid they day I get the Phantoms or A18t, that thing is getting protected like Fort Knox.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #4,802 of 23,668
I think it's just common sense to be careful with your Ferrari,unless you can walk into a dealership and instantly pay for one in cash. I've only had IEMs die from overuse, but then those are entry entry level stuff. God forbid they day I get the Phantoms or A18t, that thing is getting protected like Fort Knox.

Another important thing to keep in mind: mechanical shock can damage BA driver. I'm sure the latest BA driver designs have been updated, but nevertheless, Tyll wrote a great article about 4 years ago, explaining how BA drivers work. Scroll here to Armature Damping section to read more about it.

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #4,803 of 23,668
Another important thing to keep in mind: mechanical shock can damage BA driver. I'm sure the latest BA driver designs have been updated, but nevertheless, Tyll wrote a great article about 4 years ago, explaining how BA drivers work. Scroll here to Armature Damping section to read more about it.
Interesting read, this should be mandatory for all audiphile newbies. I always thought balance armatures were better. The science is sound though.

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #4,804 of 23,668
Interesting read, this should be mandatory for all audiphile newbies. I always thought balance armatures were better. The science is sound though.

Interesting indeed. So my takeaway is that BA drivers are delicate so DON'T DROP THEM. I incorrectly assumed that IEMs designed to be used by live musicians running around on stage could take some abuse.

Single dynamic driver earphones on the other hand seem to be indestructible. I've never had one of those break in all my years.

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #4,805 of 23,668
Interesting indeed. So my takeaway is that BA drivers are delicate so DON'T DROP THEM. I incorrectly assumed that IEMs designed to be used by live musicians running around on stage could take some abuse.

Single dynamic driver earphones on the other hand seem to be indestructible. I've never had one of those break in all my years.
Just never drop them. Even musicians don't mistreat their tools

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #4,806 of 23,668
Just never drop them. Even musicians don't mistreat their tools

and also one of the reasons (besides sound isolation) why musicians wear CIEMs to keep earpeaces more secure in their ears as they move around the stage.

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #4,807 of 23,668
Still, you'd figure dropping them from a small height would be okay. Interesting to read about ferrofluid being suggested as a solution which Empire lists as something they do with their BAs.

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #4,808 of 23,668
Still, you'd figure dropping them from a small height would be okay. Interesting to read about ferrofluid being suggested as a solution which Empire lists as something they do with their BAs.
A short height can crack the shell, possibly dislodge components etc.
An expensive lesson to learn

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #4,809 of 23,668
Look what turned up in the post today :D :D :D

IMG_20180628_112642-01.jpeg

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #4,810 of 23,668
Look what turned up in the post today :D :D :D

Gorgeous! Is that the new Redwood Burl faceplate option? I have one in Elm Burl coming within the next few weeks. I'm sure some impressions from you will tide the wait over very nicely. :wink:

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #4,811 of 23,668
Gorgeous! Is that the new Redwood Burl faceplate option? I have one in Elm Burl coming within the next few weeks. I'm sure some impressions from you will tide the wait over very nicely. :wink:

Yep redwood burl here :) they came out super nice! Can't wait to see your Elm Burl finish. Also this is a potato picture, DSLR will come out for the review photos.

First off the fit is impeccable, I have not have vented CIEM's but I have to break the seal of my FIBAE and P350's occasionally to alleviate pressure, none of that needed here.

Sound wise I need more time. typical warm, full lows with excellent impact and control as you would expect from 64 Audio, but the highs are much better compared to the old U6. The sound is much more open and airy and this is with M20 modules. The U6 is much darker, with more focus on sub-bass and sweetness, but missing out on treble detail and air. The A6t is not a reference tuning as such, but it is well balanced and super easy to listen to, yet still packed full of detail. I think the M15 modules that I have may make it more reference like by toning down the bass impact a little.

I'm a big metalcore fan, and these handle that genre really well. Perfect amount of impact and sub-bass for breakdowns, but with the separation and clarity to pick apart the complex mixes.

Edit: I have just popped in the M15 modules, and I think these are the sweet spot for me personally. Still plenty of low end impact and the sub-bass rumble is there, but it is a little less prominent which allows male vocals to shine through a bit better. The highs are a little more pronounced, but they are not hot or fatiguing to my ears, they still retain a smooth nature.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #4,812 of 23,668
Yep redwood burl here :) they came out super nice! Can't wait to see your Elm Burl finish. Also this is a potato picture, DSLR will come out for the review photos.

First off the fit is impeccable, I have not have vented CIEM's but I have to break the seal of my FIBAE and P350's occasionally to alleviate pressure, none of that needed here.

Sound wise I need more time. typical warm, full lows with excellent impact and control as you would expect from 64 Audio, but the highs are much better compared to the old U6. The sound is much more open and airy and this is with M20 modules. The U6 is much darker, with more focus on sub-bass and sweetness, but missing out on treble detail and air. The A6t is not a reference tuning as such, but it is well balanced and super easy to listen to, yet still packed full of detail. I think the M15 modules that I have may make it more reference like by toning down the bass impact a little.

I'm a big metalcore fan, and these handle that genre really well. Perfect amount of impact and sub-bass for breakdowns, but with the separation and clarity to pick apart the complex mixes.

Edit: I have just popped in the M15 modules, and I think these are the sweet spot for me personally. Still plenty of low end impact and the sub-bass rumble is there, but it is a little less prominent which allows male vocals to shine through a bit better. The highs are a little more pronounced, but they are not hot or fatiguing to my ears, they still retain a smooth nature.

Awesome! It looks like our impressions match really well, except it seems like you hear more bass with the custom. I did audition the A6t universal demos with Final Audio tips, so that’s to be expected. Can’t wait for the full review, my friend. Enjoy! :D

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #4,813 of 23,668
66403834-EA49-4EC8-85B8-B68D0CEF5A59.jpeg
With the good old AK380
Warm and detailed sound, perfect match to the U18t

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #4,814 of 23,668
and the cable... ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back