The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Jun 28, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #4,816 of 23,720
Jun 28, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #4,817 of 23,720
Jun 29, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #4,818 of 23,720
Hi guys!

I'm considering buying my endgame and call it a day. But we know that only happens in movies.

So I'm considering the a12t and noble encore. My preference is a warm signature with details. Siblence and harshness is a showstopper. But also I'll be traveling alot so I want to know if the apex modules leak sound? I stumbled upon 64audio and their technology few hours ago and I'm already impressed. I always worry about siblence and bright highs cz I have sensitive ears, but I also love micro details. Anyone of you who can compare? I can't find many reviews on the a12t :/

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #4,819 of 23,720
Hi guys!

I'm considering buying my endgame and call it a day. But we know that only happens in movies.

So I'm considering the a12t and noble encore. My preference is a warm signature with details. Siblence and harshness is a showstopper. But also I'll be traveling alot so I want to know if the apex modules leak sound? I stumbled upon 64audio and their technology few hours ago and I'm already impressed. I always worry about siblence and bright highs cz I have sensitive ears, but I also love micro details. Anyone of you who can compare? I can't find many reviews on the a12t :/

If you'd rather have a warmer signature, the A12t will be more suitable for you than the Encore. The Kaiser Encore has a lifted upper-treble, which emphasises clarity, sparkle and air, but may prove dry and fatiguing in longer listening. The A12t is warmer in tone by comparison, though it can also be considered on the more neutral side of warm. In terms of detail retrieval, the A12t is no slouch and should compete with the Encore very well. My no. 1 pick for a warmer, pleasing sound would be the A6t. It's fairly similar to the A12t, but it sounds warmer and fuller because of a lifted mid-bass. Conversely, the A12t is more transparent than the A6t, with greater technical performance in detail retrieval, imaging precision and stage expansion, especially. I guess it just comes down to which quality you prioritise more. Besides, you can add warmth to the A12t via cables if you choose to in the future.

IEMs with APEX modules will isolate less than fully-sealed ones, but not by much. It's not like open vs. closed headphones, for example. I've used ADEL-equipped IEMs on flights with no issues whatsoever with regards to isolation, so that shouldn't be of any concern.

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #4,820 of 23,720
Leonidas?

I really wish the Leonidas was good for the tzars. It looks better with them (on photos at least) than the janus and it's wayyyy cheaper. And I could get it in straight 4.4 mm, no pigtail nonsense, nice and clean. But people say it's not that good of a match, I forget why -- bright perhaps? While they say the janus is brilliant.

Maybe the leo is just a good match when the AK380 is the source, since it's smooth and a little warm, balances the leo's colndess out... I have dx200 with amp4 and that's very flat already and a little bitey.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #4,821 of 23,720
I really wish the Leonidas was good for the tzars. It looks better with them (on photos at least) than the janus and it's wayyyy cheaper. And I could get it in straight 4.4 mm, no pigtail nonsense, nice and clean. But people say it's not that good of a match, I forget why -- bright perhaps? While they say the janus is brilliant.

Maybe the leo is just a good match when the AK380 is the source, since it's smooth and a little warm, balances the leo's colndess out... I have dx200 with amp4 and that's very flat already and a little bitey.
For U18t, Leonidas may make it a bit treble heavy. On the bass side, since U18t with M20 has lots of bass, it's a good match. I use both WM1Z and SP1000Cu, but usually I match WM1Z for U18t while I match SP1000Cu with Fourte. I don't think Leonidas is particularly bad for U18t especially with M20, but at the same time there may be better cable at the same price range.

Jun 29, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #4,823 of 23,720
If you'd rather have a warmer signature, the A12t will be more suitable for you than the Encore. The Kaiser Encore has a lifted upper-treble, which emphasises clarity, sparkle and air, but may prove dry and fatiguing in longer listening. The A12t is warmer in tone by comparison, though it can also be considered on the more neutral side of warm. In terms of detail retrieval, the A12t is no slouch and should compete with the Encore very well. My no. 1 pick for a warmer, pleasing sound would be the A6t. It's fairly similar to the A12t, but it sounds warmer and fuller because of a lifted mid-bass. Conversely, the A12t is more transparent than the A6t, with greater technical performance in detail retrieval, imaging precision and stage expansion, especially. I guess it just comes down to which quality you prioritise more. Besides, you can add warmth to the A12t via cables if you choose to in the future.

IEMs with APEX modules will isolate less than fully-sealed ones, but not by much. It's not like open vs. closed headphones, for example. I've used ADEL-equipped IEMs on flights with no issues whatsoever with regards to isolation, so that shouldn't be of any concern.

Thank you very much! Looking in to a6t now. I currently have the k10ua with me and I find it a bit harsh and tad too bright. Bass is ok... if you have any experience with the k10ua how do they compare to encore in terms of brightness and bass? If I wanted something that retains details like the k10, has more bass and a tad warmer... encore or the a12t?

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #4,824 of 23,720
Thank you very much! Looking in to a6t now. I currently have the k10ua with me and I find it a bit harsh and tad too bright. Bass is ok... if you have any experience with the k10ua how do they compare to encore in terms of brightness and bass? If I wanted something that retains details like the k10, has more bass and a tad warmer... encore or the a12t?

If you can stretch to a TIA u18 tzar, I think you will not be disappointed. I had the k10ua and always had to EQ down the 7-8Khz area, because it was harsh to my ears. Then had the encore, it was even brighter with less bass. In the first hours it may sound more "clear", but then produced fatigue.

The u18 have deep bass, warm sound and excellent treble extension. If you see the frequency response charts it shows a dip in the 8k area, and then it raises around 11-12khz to give air to the sound but not harsh. One key point is the ear seal for this IEM, if it doesn't seal correctly it will produce a bad resonance in the 6khz area, but with proper seal (comply worked for me) it sounds beautiful imho.

I also have the westone W80, which is nice, warm and relaxed IEM, however after the u18 it sounds veiled, in fact most things will sound veiled after you get used to their sound :)

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #4,825 of 23,720
I would just add that the custom version of the A12t will have a tighter seal and has more bass than the universal version (depending on tips you use). It will sound more neutral with the M15 modules, but w/ the M20 modules it's got quite a fun bass. I would also add that I do extensive travelling with mine and the isolation actually better than my other customs, even w/ the M15 modules, but these are also the best fitting iems I've ever had. I can't brake the seal on them and they isolate very well. The other descriptions are pretty spot on, these are very detailed, yet retain that warmish 64 house sound and I don't find sibilance. I believe @twister6 actually has the K10 and could perhaps help as well.

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #4,826 of 23,720
For U18t, Leonidas may make it a bit treble heavy. On the bass side, since U18t with M20 has lots of bass, it's a good match. I use both WM1Z and SP1000Cu, but usually I match WM1Z for U18t while I match SP1000Cu with Fourte. I don't think Leonidas is particularly bad for U18t especially with M20, but at the same time there may be better cable at the same price range.

Leonidas Works OK with warm to warm-neutral sources (no sibilance, no treble heavy), with neutral source could be treble heavy...
Indeed they are better cables even at low price range...

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #4,827 of 23,720

The K10UA has a peak in the lower-treble, while the Encore’s rise is in the upper-treble. Because of this plus better extension, the Encore renders more detail than the K10UA in a smoother and less strident manner. As others have mentioned, though, the Encore is less bass-y, which renders its sound drier. The Encore isn’t as harsh as the K10UA, but they aren’t far off in fatigue during long-term listening.

Based on your description, the A12t sounds like what you’re looking for. I did audition it with Final Audio tips which are known to attenuate bass, so the custom should fit your preference for warmth perfectly.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #4,828 of 23,720
The K10UA has a peak in the lower-treble, while the Encore’s rise is in the upper-treble. Because of this plus better extension, the Encore renders more detail than the K10UA in a smoother and less strident manner. As others have mentioned, though, the Encore is less bass-y, which renders its sound drier. The Encore isn’t as harsh as the K10UA, but they aren’t far off in fatigue during long-term listening.

Based on your description, the A12t sounds like what you’re looking for. I did audition it with Final Audio tips which are known to attenuate bass, so the custom should fit your preference for warmth perfectly.

Thank you again! I have tried to get a demo unit before I proceed with the purchase. I'm leaning towards this alot.

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #4,829 of 23,720
I've been reading this thread for months but rarely post. I bought and then returned the Tia Fourte after being thoroughly disappointed. Next I purchased the u18t. It really is an amazing iem and is a great substitute to a full sized HP while traveling. As much as I love it, I feel timbre can be off at times. The detail is amazing but it can sound a little surreal, or simply not completely natural when listening to violins and cellos. I'm using Janus D w/ the u18t's which is a fantastic combination and close to endgame, but I was still interested in exploring other options with a tad bit more warmth. Thanks to Ike and Twister6's reviews I ended up buying a Tia Trio. I've only had it for four days now but this could be my Goldilocks iem and I'm surprised it does not get more attention on this thread. I don't need both the u18 and Trio but will likely keep both. Deciding between the two is a challenge since they are both so good with their own approach and delivery.

I would say Trio is all about moderation where u18 can lean towards "to much of a good thing may not always be a good thing".... That makes u18 a really fun iem but maybe not completely accurate or life like. In summary, u18 has more and lower bass, more detail, and more upper extension that adds more air. That said, Trio excels in all of these areas too, but it all blends so well into a natural life like sound. The main quality that really consistently leaps out is the Trio's superb levels of transparency. Ike mentions this in his review but I am thoroughly impressed with this level of transparency.

The biggest surprise though is just how much better the Trio fits me. I also feel the integrated apex technology provides more value in the trio. Either that, or the fit makes a huge difference for me personally. I generally have issues w/ the pressure from a good iem seal. With the Trio, there is really no pressure and they isolate very well. Obviously we all have our own preferences but to me Trio should be the flag ship over Fourte. For acoustic, primarily classical music, it is fantastic..... For other genres I can see why some may choose the u18 over Trio but for my music of choice, Trio is fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back