The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Aug 3, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #20,778 of 23,677
Have the chance to audition either
the trio or u12T for 3-4 days straight at home.

Only heard in my short iem journey
Thieaudio L4, the clairs, mest OG and Mext

What to hear and experience something opposite of those iem i heard above
Listen to alot of older music , 70s - 90s rock, pop , rap

Which should I audition?

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #20,779 of 23,677

Which should I audition?
Tough choice as both are very good.

Trio is DD and so bass has that feeling of hitting a little harder and has good sub bass rumble that you can feel. The treble is extended but is well controlled. Some say it can be sparkly though but I feel this is dependent on the tips used and how you actually like your treble. Mids are good and detailed, but they tend to be not quite as emphasised as the highs and lows. A good overall sound that can be fun and engaging.

The U12t is all BA. Whereas Trio could be termed V shaped the U12t seems more balanced so that no particular area is more emphasised then any other. It is a safe tuning and very easy to listen to. Mids are detailed and highs are well controlled and they do not extend as much as Trio. Mid bass hits well but not quite as hard as trio. Sub bass rumble is good and can be felt, but IMO not quite at the level of Trio. I would regard the U12t as a very good all rounder that can do a bit of everything.

I hope that can be of some help.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #20,780 of 23,677
Hi @Frankie D,
when I use my iPhone in combination with a dongle, I usually stream music via the Qobuz app.
In which folder on the iPhone do you place the flac files?
Funny you should ask as as I was having a time updating my folder last night.

When you add KaiserTone to your iPhone, you can then go to synch with your Mac or laptop. Once there, go to files. You should see KaiserTone and you can click the button to show any files. Then open another finder window ( you can use Music to get to the synch menu ) and you must drag and drop the hires file ( or files) into KaiserTone. Once you do that, do not do anything else till the folder shows up under KaiserTone. ( My Mac did not show anything was happening but it was copying the file.) Depending on the size this can take some time. My iPhone used to synch the file for me, but last night I found I had to delete the file and add it again to move my updates in. ( I had to use the shortcut Cmd + Delete in order to delete the folder. Right clicking did not work).

You can add multiple folders as well ( for example one for hdtracks, one for Chesky, etc). KaiserTone will order them for you. iTunes ( now the Music app) will not see them as they are not in the ITunes Music Folder).

I then use KaiserTone only for my hires music, though KaiserTone will also see all of your iTunes stored music should you want to use only KaiserTone.

Maybe someone more advanced than me has even a better way of doing it? Tks.

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #20,781 of 23,677

Which should I audition?
As I like the U12T and Fourte the best, I would go for the U12T. It has dd like bass.

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #20,783 of 23,677
Funny you should ask as as I was having a time updating my folder last night.

When you add KaiserTone to your iPhone, you can then go to synch with your Mac or laptop. Once there, go to files. You should see KaiserTone and you can click the button to show any files. Then open another finder window ( you can use Music to get to the synch menu ) and you must drag and drop the hires file ( or files) into KaiserTone. Once you do that, do not do anything else till the folder shows up under KaiserTone. ( My Mac did not show anything was happening but it was copying the file.) Depending on the size this can take some time. My iPhone used to synch the file for me, but last night I found I had to delete the file and add it again to move my updates in. ( I had to use the shortcut Cmd + Delete in order to delete the folder. Right clicking did not work).

You can add multiple folders as well ( for example one for hdtracks, one for Chesky, etc). KaiserTone will order them for you. iTunes ( now the Music app) will not see them as they are not in the ITunes Music Folder).

I then use KaiserTone only for my hires music, though KaiserTone will also see all of your iTunes stored music should you want to use only KaiserTone.

Maybe someone more advanced than me has even a better way of doing it? Tks.

Thank you for the "how to" explanations. With this information I should be able to bring the files on the iPhone and use a player app.

I guess, this procedure would be the same when I use a different player like "Neutron". - Was surprised to find Neutron in the iOS Appstore. -

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #20,784 of 23,677

Which should I audition?

Both are excellent. As said above, U12T is more reference, Trio is more V-shaped and fun. Trio is my favorite IEM of all time so my recommendation should be obvious, but it depends on what you're looking for.

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #20,786 of 23,677
Absolute eye opener. I always coverted my flac files to ALAC with dbpoweramp, so I could listen from my iphone when my DAP wasn't available. I wasn't sure if there is a loss in converting files like that.
Lossless to lossless conversations should sound the same unless there is more unpacking of the file that might cause slight delays. Between ALAC and FLAC, that isn’t an issue. I use DBPowerAmp to burn my CDs to FLAC and ALAC at the same time.

Aug 3, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #20,787 of 23,677
Looking for something different then what I heard so far from The Clairs , mext and mest OG .
Trio would definitely be more different than the U12t (except in the bass, boasted DD for all except u12). I’ve never heard either (or the UM’s) but own the Clair’s. They’re a take on reference after the bass shelf levels, U12t is as well. Similar ear gain but more laid back after and a downslope from the bass shelf whereas the Clair is ruler flat between the shelf/gain regions. That’s all going off FR graphs. So U12t would be more similar to the Clair than Trio (based of FR) and a more “laid back” take on reference than Clair’s.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #20,788 of 23,677
Thank you for the "how to" explanations. With this information I should be able to bring the files on the iPhone and use a player app.

I guess, this procedure would be the same when I use a different player like "Neutron". - Was surprised to find Neutron in the iOS Appstore. -
I do not know about Neutron. Tks.

Aug 3, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #20,789 of 23,677
Aug 3, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #20,790 of 23,677
Trio would definitely be more different than the U12t (except in the bass, boasted DD for all except u12). I’ve never heard either (or the UM’s) but own the Clair’s. They’re a take on reference after the bass shelf levels, U12t is as well. Similar ear gain but more laid back after and a downslope from the bass shelf whereas the Clair is ruler flat between the shelf/gain regions. That’s all going off FR graphs. So U12t would be more similar to the Clair than Trio (based of FR) and a more “laid back” take on reference than Clair’s.
I have U12t which is an excellent reference IEM, in fact with Mc apex module it is pretty unique (especially if you have the capacity and ability to EQ and add a bass shelf of 2.5 db)-very clear , detailed treble/mids yet with good bass texture and impact.

I do not have Trio but rather EE Legend X. The headphones.com folks found Trio to outshine LX. (See their video here) but I was more swayed by the plethora of Head-Fi reviews here. There are many good IEMS with excellent bass impact and texture- a lot depends on exactly what you are looking for (and how much you are willing to pay for it— that last 5% of sonic excellence is mucho expensive).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back