The Official 64 Audio Thread | apex & tia Technologies
Nov 26, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,696 of 23,565
What do you mean by pecking order? No way you mean 5th best.
2 years ago A12 was the TOTL, now it's 5th in line after Fourte, A18, Trio and A12t. I'm not comparing SQ, just looking at prices.

**EDIT: Seems A12 has been replaced by A12t in the 64 Audio page. Ah well.

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #1,697 of 23,565
The cymbals presence of the Tia Fourte + SP1000SS was a bit too much for me for some songs. If the Trio does relatively the same as the fourte but has less treble and more focused on Bass and mids, then I guess I will be pretty much sold. Hope 64Audio distribute demos across the worlds quickly as many people must be interested.

You pretty much described Trio :wink:

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #1,698 of 23,565
The cymbals presence of the Tia Fourte + SP1000SS was a bit too much for me for some songs. If the Trio does relatively the same as the fourte but has less treble and more focused on Bass and mids, then I guess I will be pretty much sold. Hope 64Audio distribute demos across the worlds quickly as many people must be interested.
You pretty much described Trio :wink:
That's really interesting! I have seen several comments about the Fourté being more "analogue" in sound, which I quite like, but the descriptions of the treble put me off (I'm too treble sensitive). The Trio might well fit my preferences a lot better. I really need to take my time and read your U12t and Trio review properly later today (I have only had time to skim through it).

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #1,702 of 23,565
That's really interesting! I have seen several comments about the Fourté being more "analogue" in sound, which I quite like, but the descriptions of the treble put me off (I'm too treble sensitive). The Trio might well fit my preferences a lot better. I really need to take my time and read your U12t and Trio review properly later today (I have only had time to skim through it).

Yes the Fourte does have an "analogue" sound. But the treble is also very detail. Decay is slower than the Andromeda. But it is smooth, no sharp peaks.

I can't imagine how many puppies you need in order to get a "Yay" for the Fourte / Trio

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #1,703 of 23,565
Yes the Fourte does have an "analogue" sound. But the treble is also very detail. Decay is slower than the Andromeda. But it is smooth, no sharp peaks.
Sadly I have never heard the Andromeda, as they're not readily available in the UK. I certainly wouldn't expect the Fourté to have any sharp peaks, I just know how sensitive I am to treble and that it can quickly become fatiguing if it is too forward. I recently demoed the Vision Ears line and their VE6 also has a bit more treble presence that provides a beautiful amount of sparkle, something I think many people will love, but it is just a bit too far forward for me. I imagine that the Fourté would be similar in that regard. Nothing to do with the quality of the treble, just where it is positioned in the signature. In general I think I prefer the sort of signature mostly used for stage monitors, over an audiophile signature. I want my IEMs to be smooth with an accurate timbre, which I believe is often achieved by attenuating the treble (it can still be extended). I guess that is why 64 Audio has always been on my radar. The U6 with M15 and Effect Audio Eros II for instance was much more in line with my preferences.
I can't imagine how many puppies you need in order to get a "Yay" for the Fourte / Trio
Somehow I suspect that when we leave London, we'll be looking to buy an old farm with lots of land... Don't know why. I just have this premonition of the pitter patter of many little paws. :D

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #1,704 of 23,565

We all have a different definition/reference of what's "analogue" :wink: which is often driven by our ear sensitivity, where some people consider smoother/warmer more organic sound to be more "analogue" versus brigther/revealing/vivid to be more "digital". For example, if you are sensitive to 6k and 10k peaks (and can actually hear 10k well enough), you will find Fourte somewhat fatigue after extended listening, and probably need to step down to U18 or Trio. Some even found U18 treble to be a bit sparkly for their taste, and for those rolling back to Trio will be more suitable. Another thing, when I measure IEMs with Veritas coupler (budget-fi measurement setup), I get FR with higher peaks because it's a direct mic measurement of the IEM output. Professional measurements, like the one done by Jude and Tyll, use a model of a human head with a more anatomically correct earcanal structure. We all have a different ear anatomy and our earcanal is like a filter for the sound to travel through, which going to affect the sound and could explain the difference in our ear sensitivity, among other things. Bottom line, too many variables in a formula of how different people perceive the sound of one IEM :wink:

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #1,705 of 23,565
We all have a different definition/reference of what's "analogue" :wink: which is often driven by our ear sensitivity, where some people consider smoother/warmer more organic sound to be more "analogue" versus brigther/revealing/vivid to be more "digital". For example, if you are sensitive to 6k and 10k peaks (and can actually hear 10k well enough), you will find Fourte somewhat fatigue after extended listening, and probably need to step down to U18 or Trio. Some even found U18 treble to be a bit sparkly for their taste, and for those rolling back to Trio will be more suitable. Another thing, when I measure IEMs with Veritas coupler (budget-fi measurement setup), I get FR with higher peaks because it's a direct mic measurement of the IEM output. Professional measurements, like the one done by Jude and Tyll, use a model of a human head with a more anatomically correct earcanal structure. We all have a different ear anatomy and our earcanal is like a filter for the sound to travel through, which going to affect the sound and could explain the difference in our ear sensitivity, among other things. Bottom line, too many variables in a formula of how different people perceive the sound of one IEM :wink:
Yes, "analogue" is quite an ambiguous term and I usually read it as simply indicating a bit warmer, thicker and more organic, although I myself tend to use it in a way similar to the difference in classical music between period instruments and modern ones. There is something about period instruments that carries more emotion and added layers. Not sure what sort of signature would fit best with that, but hopefully I will be able to figure that out through demos and reviews. (I really find that fascinating!)

I am not really sure what specific peaks I am sensitive to. I discussed FR with Nic, but I can't do what he does and identify specific peaks just through listening. I usually don't look at measurements too much because of just the reasons you mention. Measurements are a very helpful illustration, but being a biologist I can't help but see the differences in ear canal anatomy and each person's individual sensory perception. I have Sensory Processing Sensitivity (SPS), meaning I literally process incoming sensory information differently, more deeply and detailed, than most people. That is also why I gravitate towards smoother, more organic signatures, because it can get fatiguing quite quickly. So when I read reviews of the Fourté, I am very aware of the difference between a smooth treble and treble presence. Although I do feel I need to demo more types of signatures because I have learned already that "brighter" IEMs can still be smooth and enjoyable.

By the way, finally had a chance to read your U12t and Trio review properly now. Great work! Both sound very interesting and the U12t seems like a great replacement for the U12! (Probably also better suited to my preferences.)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #1,706 of 23,565
i did not recall reading any one mention the tia to have issues with the highs, now that its being mentioned is kind of strange as it coincides with the release of 2 new models, how come that was not mentioned more before by more people

Nov 27, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #1,708 of 23,565

i am so surprised by why now this treble issue is coming out now all of a sudden

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #1,709 of 23,565
i did not recall reading any one mention the tia to have issues with the highs, now that its being mentioned is kind of strange as it coincides with the release of 2 new models, how come that was not mentioned more before by more people

To me, personally, both 18 and Fourté have a bit too much treble. Then again someone else probably loves them for that, so why should I ruin their party with me whining about it?

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #1,710 of 23,565
For me, i don't think A18 has too much treble. Some in here know that im very sensitive with treble. But my A18 w/m15 and PW No.5 cable, the treble is fine to my ears. It isn't harsh or anything at all.
But right now i found out that that combo added to much bass to A18 which bothered me abit. I used to be a basshead, but don't know why now i hate too much bass. So i changed to M20 module and Gold Plated Hybrid cable from Plussound. So it added more sparkles, less bass and bigger soundstage :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back