The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Dec 10, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #61 of 754
7keys said:

The Sens PX 100-11 arrived in the mail yesterday so I decided to do a fast test last night. I had made a cup for testing with a slot in the side hoping I could keep the original cable attached and just slip them right into the cup like a liberated grado. I was able to do this with the headband of the Sens dangling underneath as you can’t keep the cable attached because of the way it runs through headband. I didn’t liberate the driver out of its plastic sheath as I was able to tightly fit the plastic covering right in the cup which had been fitted for a grado driver.

I have three headphones and a couple of IEM’s. I have a virgin SR60I, a modded Fostex T50RP and a Magnum V4. I did a direct comparison between the Sens and the Magnum.
Now maybe it’s because I didn’t fully liberate the driver and tightly fit it in the cup…… or…… possibly it’s because I didn’t change the cheap cable………… but I didn’t find these sens drivers to be giant killers, at least in my configuration.  The Magnum V4’s sounded so much better, in a whole other class.

In the next week or two I’ll liberate the sens drivers, fit them to a new cup, add a nice cable and do another test.

It will be interesting to see what round 2 brings in this regard.  For the moment, I've somewhat stabilized my likes on the combination using the PX100 II driver.  It is impressive on where it takes off from where the Grado and Magnum left off.  Then again, that's just the impression that I have based on the time that I've been spending with it.  I've been bouncing between the G-Cush, L-Cush and reverse-quarter-modded Sennheiser 414 pads to see where the ultimate combination exists.  They all fare well, but I really like the G-Cush pads due to additional bass provided by the Senn driver.

The PX100 II does briefly remind me of the PS-500 headphones I had, but the quality of bass in the Senn driver, to my ears, is much better.  Plus, the bass doesn't take over the highs and the highs remain, but do so with a presence that is not overwhelming.  Even if none of the other members favored the combination of the Senn drivers in wooden cups, I'd still be pleased with the combination myself.  To me, it has just filled so many voids that I sought from the Grado line.  The PS-500 couldn't fill it, the RS1i was pretty close, the GS-1000 was just delicious - while a bit bass-light, it had so many other qualities that should never be overlooked.  This would have been the non-"i" version.  If I saw another pair of the GS-1000 at a decent price, I know I'd move on it.

The only recent change I've applied to my system was the implementation of an oDAC and the Asgard v.1 amplifier.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #62 of 754

It will be interesting to see what round 2 brings in this regard.  For the moment, I've somewhat stabilized my likes on the combination using the PX100 II driver.  It is impressive on where it takes off from where the Grado and Magnum left off.  Then again, that's just the impression that I have based on the time that I've been spending with it.  I've been bouncing between the G-Cush, L-Cush and reverse-quarter-modded Sennheiser 414 pads to see where the ultimate combination exists.  They all fare well, but I really like the G-Cush pads due to additional bass provided by the Senn driver.

The PX100 II does briefly remind me of the PS-500 headphones I had, but the quality of bass in the Senn driver, to my ears, is much better.  Plus, the bass doesn't take over the highs and the highs remain, but do so with a presence that is not overwhelming.  Even if none of the other members favored the combination of the Senn drivers in wooden cups, I'd still be pleased with the combination myself.  To me, it has just filled so many voids that I sought from the Grado line.  The PS-500 couldn't fill it, the RS1i was pretty close, the GS-1000 was just delicious - while a bit bass-light, it had so many other qualities that should never be overlooked.  This would have been the non-"i" version.  If I saw another pair of the GS-1000 at a decent price, I know I'd move on it.

The only recent change I've applied to my system was the implementation of an oDAC and the Asgard v.1 amplifier.

Thanks, Wayne. How would you compare PX100 II transplanted into wooden cups to GS-1000? To PS-1000?

I've got a set of Magnums and RS1i inbound. I'm curious how they sound compared to PS-1000 and Vixen V3 (PS-1000 transplant to wood cups by headphile) The Vixen V3 sounds wonderful and better than PS-1000, IMO. I'm interested in trying a mod into wooden cups using PX100 II, Turbulent X, and/or the cheap drivers from England you (or someone) posted a dozen or so pages, back.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #63 of 754
Keith,

I've never heard the PS-1000, but did own the PS-500.  When compared to the PS-500, I feel that the bass with the Sennheiser drivers is a better quality bass.  Plus, the bass is right up there with what the PS-500 offers and from what I've read, Grado did punch some holes open in the rear of the drivers to achieve the bass  - much like many of us have done with our Grado SR-60 / 60i headphones.  The mids on the Sennheiser driver has the "hill" just like the Grado drivers have, so they don't disappoint in that area.  As to the highs, I felt that with the Sennheiser drivers, the highs didn't get minimized by the amount of bass, which was clearly the case with the PS-500s that I had.  I'd love to get the PX100 II drivers into a pair of cups from the PS-500s and hear how they'd perform with the mahogany lined aluminum cups.  Either that option, or getting the drivers into the HF-2.  again, a task that might be pretty impossible because if someone cooks their drivers, Grado takes care of them for about $100 or less, so one doesn't have any cups to pawn off quickly.

I did own the GS-1000 (non-i model).  The bass on the GS-1000 was a bit less, but I really don't fault that model for that at all.  The clear winner is in the sound stage width category.  The GS-1000 is the king, and probably will be the king in that area for a long time in my book.  I have not heard anything that could present the music in such a wide perspective.  Also, I think with this model, Grado didn't punch any holes in the drivers, but I know I wouldn't do that mod to a pair of headphones that sells between $650 and $800 in the used market.  But, when using the G-cush pads with the Sennheiser drivers in wooden cups, the bass is still strong.  The sound stage has a respectable width to it also.  

I do have enough components to get a "pass around" tour going on a pair of Padauk-based wooden cups with the PX100 II drivers along with an Auvio headband.  But, I'll need a bit of time to get this into place, which could be in the range of 2+ weeks from now.  A bit of care maintenance (replace my hub bearing) and start working on my heat pump replacement are the focus along with getting in more listening time so I can unwind from the day job when I get home at night.

Edit: As part of a tour, I'd also see if Tyll of Innerfidelity would like a spin with these.  As we know, he isn't the biggest fan of Grado, but possibly, this custom thingy might capture a pleasing moment and getting some measurements taken along the way would be interesting to see, too.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #65 of 754
  Keith,

I've never heard the PS-1000, but did own the PS-500.  When compared to the PS-500, I feel that the bass with the Sennheiser drivers is a better quality bass.  Plus, the bass is right up there with what the PS-500 offers and from what I've read, Grado did punch some holes open in the rear of the drivers to achieve the bass  - much like many of us have done with our Grado SR-60 / 60i headphones.  The mids on the Sennheiser driver has the "hill" just like the Grado drivers have, so they don't disappoint in that area.  As to the highs, I felt that with the Sennheiser drivers, the highs didn't get minimized by the amount of bass, which was clearly the case with the PS-500s that I had.  I'd love to get the PX100 II drivers into a pair of cups from the PS-500s and hear how they'd perform with the mahogany lined aluminum cups.  Either that option, or getting the drivers into the HF-2.  again, a task that might be pretty impossible because if someone cooks their drivers, Grado takes care of them for about $100 or less, so one doesn't have any cups to pawn off quickly.

I did own the GS-1000 (non-i model).  The bass on the GS-1000 was a bit less, but I really don't fault that model for that at all.  The clear winner is in the sound stage width category.  The GS-1000 is the king, and probably will be the king in that area for a long time in my book.  I have not heard anything that could present the music in such a wide perspective.  Also, I think with this model, Grado didn't punch any holes in the drivers, but I know I wouldn't do that mod to a pair of headphones that sells between $650 and $800 in the used market.  But, when using the G-cush pads with the Sennheiser drivers in wooden cups, the bass is still strong.  The sound stage has a respectable width to it also.  

I do have enough components to get a "pass around" tour going on a pair of Padauk-based wooden cups with the PX100 II drivers along with an Auvio headband.  But, I'll need a bit of time to get this into place, which could be in the range of 2+ weeks from now.  A bit of care maintenance (replace my hub bearing) and start working on my heat pump replacement are the focus along with getting in more listening time so I can unwind from the day job when I get home at night.

Edit: As part of a tour, I'd also see if Tyll of Innerfidelity would like a spin with these.  As we know, he isn't the biggest fan of Grado, but possibly, this custom thingy might capture a pleasing moment and getting some measurements taken along the way would be interesting to see, too.

As always, thanks wje.

Where do I sign up for the tour? :wink:

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #66 of 754

Keith,

As always, thanks wje.

Where do I sign up for the tour? :wink:

If you want info on the tone wood tour, go check out the Great Grado Experiment, I'd love to hear what on of the 'phone modding gods has to say about it.

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #67 of 754
If you want info on the tone wood tour, go check out the Great Grado Experiment, I'd love to hear what on of the 'phone modding gods has to say about it.

I think they mean the tour of sending around a pair of woody Sennheisers to see, and hear what the PX100 II is all about.

Currently, here is the status:

Wooden Cups - In the process of being finished up. Padauk is the wood.
Sennheiser Drivers - Liberated and ready.
Custom Cable - Ready to attach.
Comfortable Headband - Auvio brand, and ready to attach.
Ear pads - The Ear Zonk G-Cush, and L-Cush are on order.

I'm still a few weeks off as indicated.  A lot of free time is being consumed.  Hub bearing on my car, heat pump for my house.  Me - laborer, but saving megabucks for hobbies my wife to go shopping.

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #68 of 754
I think they mean the tour of sending around a pair of woody Sennheisers to see, and hear what the PX100 II is all about.

Currently, here is the status:

Wooden Cups - In the process of being finished up. Padauk is the wood.
Sennheiser Drivers - Liberated and ready.
Custom Cable - Ready to attach.
Comfortable Headband - Auvio brand, and ready to attach.
Ear pads - The Ear Zonk G-Cush, and L-Cush are on order.

I'm still a few weeks off as indicated.  A lot of free time is being consumed.  Hub bearing on my car, heat pump for my house.  Me - laborer, but saving megabucks for hobbies my wife to go shopping.

Thanks for looking at doing this wje...it's pretty damn awesome of you.

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #69 of 754
  Here are a few more informative pictures that I want to share:

When one is about the disassemble the PX100 headphones to remove the drivers, one has to follow a small basic order to ensure the removal is a success.  In the image below, I've indicted four recessed holes with blue arrows.  Each of those holes have a small bit of adhesive in the holes which basically hold the drivers to the frame / cups.  I get these open, all you need is a small screwdriver to utilize to clear out some of the adhesive and to separate it from the tab that it's bonded to.  It just takes a few seconds each, but it will save the driver.   This is why you can see some of the plastic is a bit roughened up in the tab areas.  I could file that plastic off to clean them up a bit.  Where the green arrow is located, it reflects the area of the outer ring of the driver that could be damaged a bit if you don't release some of the glue in the indentation areas.  

Once the glue has been opened up a bit, you can then use something small (e.g. same screwdriver) to gently use in the gap to separate the driver from the rear portion of the cup.  Once opened up, you can then snip the wires (just like tiny threads).

On this second picture, I have more arrows to indicate the correct soldering points.  I removed the wires and freshened up the solder a bit in preparation for connecting my wires.  I've indicated the positive terminal with the red arrow.  The black arrow points to the negative terminal.  Avoid the 4 solder tabs that also exist on the green PCB.  Those are used for connecting the wires that run through the headband and go to the other driver.  However, as you can see, the PCB and solder tabs are pretty robust since they are on the PCB.  I don't suspect any soldering accidents would happen with this driver like sometimes can occur with the Grado or Magnum drivers that a few of us have experienced.  Myself included.

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #70 of 754
I've learned a bit more about the driver as I performed the last leg of mods on my personal pair.  In the pictures where the clear driver backing sits into the black circular frame, the clear portion is actually loose as when mounted in the PX100 II housing, the pressure held them together.  In my case, I applied a few dots of hot glue where the clear and black plastic meet and the driver components are held solidly into place.

I also finished my cable and made it super soft with monofilament covering below the yoke, and black paracord above the yoke.  This materials are superior for keeping microphonics to a bare minimum.  For the yoke / split, I actually used a sharp oval black bead to conceal the split where the "Y" is present.  Pretty nifty.  I'll get some pics up in a day or two. 

Finally, on Friday, I received a Vali amp in a trade.  I made quite a large update in the Vali thread on using a good series of mods to cut down on the microphonics that can be experienced since it is a hybrid amp, and the tubes are set horizontally into place on the PCB.  For $119, this lil' amp is quite the eye opener.  I've been swapping between my Asgard I and the Vali, and can honestly say the Vali holds its own.  Both have unique points here and there.  But if anyone is looking for an excellent amp deal @ $119, the performance is really quite good!

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #71 of 754
So my dad managed to turn a couple of cups for me at the weekend, I personlay think they are awesome....
bigsmile_face.gif

Now I have to choose between igrado drivers or koss porta pro drivers...

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #72 of 754
  So my dad managed to turn a couple of cups for me at the weekend, I personlay think they are awesome....
bigsmile_face.gif

Now I have to choose between igrado drivers or koss porta pro drivers...

Those are brilliant! I tried a few months back to get someone to mill a pair of aluminium cups for me. Unfortunately the job just never got done and I had to cancel the order.

I would say try the iGrado drivers. They are the SR60i driver, and should give you more "Grado" action than the Sportapros. I had the Sportas in a pair of Paduak cups and they sounded good, but muffled. When I did an extreme version of the Kramer mod they then suddenly started inducing fatigue...they only do good if you seal the cup off and make a StratoKOSSter from them...

All this, of course with the caveat: Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back