The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #721 of 754
The drivers came. If nothing else, there's a little sennheiser logo on the PCB near the middle
20220115_135136.jpg
20220115_135229.jpg

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #725 of 754
One of the SR325e drivers died in the custom wood cups, I began to search high and low for a pair of replacements after being diasppointed by the Sennheiser PX100 (original) replacement drivers.

Forget all those hyped so called high end pretty drivers at high prices, I'd prefer not to risk spending that much on drivers which may not be to my liking, most are hyped by the sellers and affiliates to promote sales and though aesthetically very nice, I'll be listening to them instead of staring at them.

Then I saw a relatively inexpensive replacement drivers on a certain DIY company at half the price, requested more information but received no reply so I began to continue my search.
To my surprise, I found a pair of same looking drivers on Aliexpress and purchased it at less than half the price of the DIY company.....

They arrived in less than two Weeks and in my opinion, they are very slightly warmer, slightly more bass and less fatiguing than the SR325e drivers. I can listen to these for long hours whereas the SR325e last 30-45 minutes before I switch headphones.

I like these drivers better than the original Grado drivers......twenty Dollars will not hurt the wallet if it's not suitable but more importantly you'll not feel been scammed for loads-of-money by those pretty driver sellers when they breaks or have issues.

NB: Not sure if it's against Forum rules, if it does contravene, please delete the link... here's where I made my purchases, one after another. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001441907681.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef18020m2EUx

Attachments

• Drivers 1.jpg
    Drivers 1.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DIY drivers.jpg
    DIY drivers.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #726 of 754
One of the SR325e drivers died in the custom wood cups, I began to search high and low for a pair of replacements after being diasppointed by the Sennheiser PX100 (original) replacement drivers.

Forget all those hyped so called high end pretty drivers at high prices, I'd prefer not to risk spending that much on drivers which may not be to my liking, most are hyped by the sellers and affiliates to promote sales and though aesthetically very nice, I'll be listening to them instead of staring at them.

Then I saw a relatively inexpensive replacement drivers on a certain DIY company at half the price, requested more information but received no reply so I began to continue my search.
To my surprise, I found a pair of same looking drivers on Aliexpress and purchased it at less than half the price of the DIY company.....

They arrived in less than two Weeks and in my opinion, they are very slightly warmer, slightly more bass and less fatiguing than the SR325e drivers. I can listen to these for long hours whereas the SR325e last 30-45 minutes before I switch headphones.

I like these drivers better than the original Grado drivers......twenty Dollars will not hurt the wallet if it's not suitable but more importantly you'll not feel been scammed for loads-of-money by those pretty driver sellers when they breaks or have issues.

What a great find :)...what did you use to protect the diaphragms, or are they simply exposed to the ear? That's one item I need to try and find a 3D model for. A decent housing for drivers that protects the diaphragm.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #727 of 754
What a great find :)...what did you use to protect the diaphragms, or are they simply exposed to the ear? That's one item I need to try and find a 3D model for. A decent housing for drivers that protects the diaphragm.
I used the original SR325e driver covers, fitted perfectly.
I also ordered another pair for 4-5 years time when these wear out.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #728 of 754
I used the original SR325e driver covers, fitted perfectly.

...I think it might be time for me to sacrifice a driver and send the cover to a friend for them to model in 3D for me...

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #729 of 754
...I think it might be time for me to sacrifice a driver and send the cover to a friend for them to model in 3D for me...
There may be 3D files for covers on thiniverse already, maybe just a matter of finding it.

On another note, IIRC, you were modding the SR325 metal housing with inlaids a while back. The reason I'm using wooden cups is because of the weight of the metal.
I saw that you had shaved the protruding section of the metal cups by the plastic ring, basically shaving off much weight and I'm wondering if you still do custom work as I don't have a mill/laithe. I don't need wood inlaid as it's only for visual effect, to me, more important is the sound, the sound and the sound.......
If yes please let me know, I'm in the UK.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #730 of 754
There may be 3D files for covers on thiniverse already, maybe just a matter of finding it.

On another note, IIRC, you were modding the SR325 metal housing with inlaids a while back. The reason I'm using wooden cups is because of the weight of the metal.
I saw that you had shaved the protruding section of the metal cups by the plastic ring, basically shaving off much weight and I'm wondering if you still do custom work as I don't have a mill/laithe. I don't need wood inlaid as it's only for visual effect, to me, more important is the sound, the sound and the sound.......
If yes please let me know, I'm in the UK.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools to greatly reduce a metal cup. I only focus on woodwork. I can sand and maybe do a little bit of shaping (at the expense of my poor chisels designed for woodwork being abused for the job). To take a significant amount off I'd need different chisels, and a different type of lathe (well, I guess I could pull it off on my benchtop....but its not ideal).

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #731 of 754
Unfortunately I don't have the tools to greatly reduce a metal cup. I only focus on woodwork. I can sand and maybe do a little bit of shaping (at the expense of my poor chisels designed for woodwork being abused for the job). To take a significant amount off I'd need different chisels, and a different type of lathe (well, I guess I could pull it off on my benchtop....but its not ideal).
First and foremost, thank you for the most prompt reply, it is much appreciated.

I had thought you used a laithe for your work, so nevermind as it may be problematic.
Your information on sanding just given me the idea of flat sanding the outer surface until the black plastic ring become flush/disappears, that'll take some weight off even if not much.

Once again thank you for the communication.

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #732 of 754
First and foremost, thank you for the most prompt reply, it is much appreciated.

I had thought you used a laithe for your work, so nevermind as it may be problematic.
Your information on sanding just given me the idea of flat sanding the outer surface until the black plastic ring become flush/disappears, that'll take some weight off even if not much.

Once again thank you for the communication.

Any time :), happy to talk mods all day.

Regarding the lathe, yes...I use one, but there are lathes designed for woodwork, and lathes designed for metalwork.

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #733 of 754
Guys, don't want to bother you, but I already did some 3D model and 3D printed cups for Grado or similar drivers.

I just bought the chinese drivers myself to test them my 3D cups. If you're intrested i can send you pictures in the evening and give you more information about it.
Have a nice day

Apr 26, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #734 of 754
Guys, don't want to bother you, but I already did some 3D model and 3D printed cups for Grado or similar drivers.

I just bought the chinese drivers myself to test them my 3D cups. If you're intrested i can send you pictures in the evening and give you more information about it.
Have a nice day
No bother at all...you're most welcome.
Would much like to see those 3D models.............

Since @fleasbaby mentioned those cover rings, I search high 'n low, left-right 'n center, up 'n under but still could not find anyone selling or any 3D files of this elusive item.

Cups and the adapters are aplenty but the covers/protector rings seems to be non existent. Simply cannot understand the Chinese mentality (I'm Chinese) to manufacture the drivers but no covers for protection.

I purchased them due to DIY selling them as Grado upgrade drivers and for the price it's seemingly very good value on Aliepress so I repurchased another pair but I don't have covers for protection. Burning them at the moment, so far approxomately 60-70 hours....
I contacted the seller, they replied 40mm and 50mm covers are available, just not 45mm.

Maybe most of the markup prices of the premium drivers are for the aesthetically pleasing machine milled aluminium or composite covers/protectors. I condone entrepreneurial conduct but when it borders to an extortionate level then it's time to seek elsewhere as not everyone can afford to risk such sums only to find it's not to their taste. I wouldn't mind paying if they last forever but anything which uses electricity and movement in order to function will inevitbly degrade over time.

To those trying to find some gauze for the covers, simply cut open a face mask, the ones with multiple layers and use one layer, trim to size and brush the outer perimeter down with shallac onto the cover.

Attachments

• 44mm Driver covers.jpg
    44mm Driver covers.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #735 of 754
3D files of the adapters will also be invaluable for those who need them to use with original Grado cups, plastic or aluminium.

I'm modding my orininal adapters with MMCX female connectors for use with the original SR325e cups for testing (after I've finish sanding the outer cup-ring for weight reduction), also because one of my wood cups has cracked and my OCD is having a difficult time dealing with the damage.
I know this may not conform to the opening Post but to modding, it does concern drivers, in a certain way.

Attachments

• 44mm to 50mm adaptor.jpg
    44mm to 50mm adaptor.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back