The "non-Grado" Driver Grado Thread
Sep 8, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #751 of 754
There are many start at beginning and good luck.
Thx! But why everyone is obsessed with SennGrados? It's like 70% posts of the thread are Senns and 20% are Koss. Like I was looking for AT or Beyer ones but failed miserably.

Btw I was trying to find someone who can make a fancier version of the Grado Branding ring and the dot in the middle tho. I would like some special branding on it like Sony Just Ear did on their shield lol

(I wouldn't tell everyone that I wanted to look different and strange LOL!)

Pic not from me, from Bruce Li@Medium

Attachments

• 1_yhJ3WlAzE3fkMWrkJ8fLtQ.jpg
    1_yhJ3WlAzE3fkMWrkJ8fLtQ.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #752 of 754
Trying to revive a dead thread here, I am curious on building a Grado, but looking at this thread deepens my curiosity on Non Senn Grados.

I am thinking of using T1/880 drivers or salvaged drivers from China, or even Audio Technica drivers.

I wanna go with walnut/aluminum, with shallow cup and Alcantara/Leather band as my initial design.

Thinking as it is a thread for no Grado drivers, wish anyone might can tell me some tale of non Senn grados.

@7keys Amen..plenty of options.

@DomDOMT I've never seen any of the Beyer drivers in a radically open-backed design like the Grado one. Usually even the 880 have some damping behind them. Be prepared to possibly spend a good amount of time experimenting with damping in the chamber behind the driver.

I spent some time messing around with the Nakamichi SP-7 drivers, which was fun:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649576142-nakamichi-sp-7-stereo-headphones/images/2508410/

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #753 of 754
@7keys Amen..plenty of options.

@DomDOMT I've never seen any of the Beyer drivers in a radically open-backed design like the Grado one. Usually even the 880 have some damping behind them. Be prepared to possibly spend a good amount of time experimenting with damping in the chamber behind the driver.

I spent some time messing around with the Nakamichi SP-7 drivers, which was fun:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649576142-nakamichi-sp-7-stereo-headphones/images/2508410/
How was the sound of SP-7?

BTW I am extremely new to DIY here, Smoked some strange crack online recently and brought me here to see if I can go mad with Grado design.

I am thinking if Walnut Housing is good enough that I can just go with OG Grado aluminum cups, and Sadly I didn't know much about damping. I need help here lol

Another candidate of driver is V-Moda M-100, my old workhorse and the sound is amazing. Missing her a lot and regret on didn't go balanced output with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back