The next step! Where should I go from here?
Jan 19, 2011 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ag04

New Head-Fier
Greetings Head-fi-ers,

New to posting, but not new to this forum, I've spent a good deal of time reading here, and have found this site to be a great resources for all things headphone.  A little about myself:  Started mixing audio for my church 7 years ago, and used sony MDR 7506s and Sennheiser HD 202s for monitoring when mixing.  I was bitten, and bitten bad.  Since then, Here's what I've accumulated:

UE superfi 3
Koss Porta Pro
Sennheiser HD 555, HD 448, HD 202,cx-300, cx 500
AKG k240
Superlux hd 681 (recabled with 2534)

None of these are high impedance phones, because I don't have an amp.  I'm curious to see where I should go next in my audio endeavors.  I've looked at some headphone amps, but I really think a desktop amp is the way to go, as I do most of my listening when in my computer area/room.  I also thought about making the next price jump up, (dt770s, k702s, d2000s)  or I thought about experiencing the sounds of other brands, I've been namely curious about the Audio Technica AD700s. I have often pondered that it would be nice to have a great sounding sealed headphone.  I was almost expecting that from the 448s, but found the sound to be a bit muddy and dull compared to the k240s, and less clear that the 555s.  Something that is BIG to me is comfort level.  I thought my HD 555s were the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, tension not too bad, but the fact that they are superaural is really nice.  My akgs and superlux sit on the very edges of my ears, and cause significant discomfort after a few hours, it's rather upsetting, because I prefer my k240s to my 555s.  I think perhaps dt770 velour earpads are in order.  But basically comfort for some-one with a large head and medium to large ears. 

So in sum: Buy or build a good amp, or buy more phones!  I thought about simply purchasing a fiio e5 (I know, very low end and portable) just to see if I could pick up any noticeable difference on my 555s or my akgs, to see if investing in a desktop amp is worth it. 

I apologise for all my ramblings, I just thought many of you perhaps have been in the same area as me in your headphone development and would like to hear your input on the subject.  Thanks again, and happy listening,

-Ag04

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 9
Just be aware that the earcups/pads on the AD700/900 are huge. Seriously huge. For those of us with a big melon, no problem, but they are larger than the K501/K601, previously the largest pads I had experienced.

If you get the K702, you will definitely need an amp and a good one at that.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Just be aware that the earcups/pads on the AD700/900 are huge. Seriously huge. For those of us with a big melon, no problem, but they are larger than the K501/K601, previously the largest pads I had experienced.

I don't have a large head at all the the AD900 was extremely comfortable to me.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Quote:

I don't have a large head at all the the AD900 was extremely comfortable to me.

I didnt say they would be uncomfortable. Just huge. If the OP wants uncomfortable, he needs to try the ES7.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 9
To clarify myself:
I do believe that a better headphone would give better performance than a not-so-good headphone with an amp, for the same price. Amp would be essential for some relatively high-end phones, but not those mentioned by ag04

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for all of the input guys,

As far as Amps, I'm looking into some of the Ibasso line, as well as the Audinst HUD mx1.  They both seem like promising entry level desktop amps on a reasonable budget.  As far as headphones go, I'm sort of flopping between the dt770 and the denon d2000, because I would enjoy the audio isolation.  I definitely do have a big noggin, wear XL helmets, hats, etc, and I'm definitely not daunted by a larger phone, not a big issue, comfort on the other hand (usually 3-4+ hours of listening, while studying, on the computer etc), is paramount.

Thanks again,

ag04

Users who are viewing this thread

Back