The New Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Impressions thread (read the first post)
Apr 2, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #481 of 516
Be sure to keep the JggyB ON, all the time,
and then re-test in a couple of weeks, then at a month etc.

You just might be pleasantly surprised.

And I'm glad you have things figured out now.

JJ

Apr 2, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #482 of 516
Be sure to keep the JggyB ON, all the time,
and then re-test in a couple of weeks, then at a month etc.

You just might be pleasantly surprised.

And I'm glad you have things figured out now.

JJ

Sure! its 21 day ON.. and keep going :)
May happen one of those things you are straggle first but became beloved after all )

Most recent Analog 2.01 board if somebody interested..

20190331_120831.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #483 of 516
Some thoughts after having the Yggdrasil in my stereo system for about 2 months

1) The Yggy soundstage is very wide. The West Side story original cast recording is an excellent demo of the Yggy’s soundstage and its ability to throw the finger snaps outside the boundary of the speakers. This incredible recording done in the 50s shows the importance of the art of recording and how this art is sadly absent in many contemporary recordings. This recording sounds great on Spotify and that’s why I think bitrate is probably far down the list of what makes recordings sound good. I believe the art of recording is key and everything else is a distant second.

2) another example of complex music and how Yggy separates the multiple voices is in The Barber of Seville (I like the Chailly version with Marilyn Horne), “Mi Pare d’esser con al testa”. The multiple disjointed voices should sound like cacophony but somehow Rossini makes it glorious.

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #484 of 516
Jun 19, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #485 of 516
I don't agree with the review using the USB input as the best for review.
Here Yggdrasil A2/5 the AES/balanced and SPDIF is better. I have been happy getting rid of the USB BS and the computer.
Using a PS Audio DSM Transport (AES) and a newly purchased Bluesound Node 2i (SPDIF) very good indeed.
You need to use good cabling.

Jun 19, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #486 of 516
That review was a little out to lunch in my opinion. But since the PS Audio which I haven’t heard is his frame of reference I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Jun 19, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #487 of 516
The review does highlight a problem with the Yggdrasil (IMO). From the review:
For inputs, this new USB board is the star of the show. Schiit has done considerable work to remove as many inherent deficiencies as possible from USB as a digital audio transport. For starters, the input signal is galvanically isolated by transformer coupling, removing issues with electromagnetic noise generated by your source component.
emphasis added.

Only the US input and the Optical input have transformer coupling for galvanic isolation. None of the other SPDIF inputs do. For most people this is a non-issue. But, for me it was a problem.

Case scenario:

I want to take the SPDIF signal straight from the digital headers on the motherboard of my music server. I use a DIY BNC connected coaxial cable for true 75ohm <-> 75ohm connection between music sever computer to the DAC via the BNC input.

This works with my T+A DAC8DSD and my Emotiva DC-1 since these two DACs use transformer coupling on all digital inputs.

With my Yggdrasil, I get no signal lock at all.

My workaround to get music files from my computer to the DAC, is to use the USB input. Which sounds pretty good with a decent USB cable and setup. (I use JRiver (music server) to a NAA/Renderer (JRiver) which is a small fanless NUC type computer with a linear power supply to the Yggdrasil via USB cable.)

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #488 of 516
I don't think that transformer coupling has anything to do with your problem. Optical is inherently isolated because it's not an electrical connection. AES will use a transformer as it is a balanced connection between the sockets, but not internally, so is essentially isolated.

Are you sure your music server output is a PCM digital signal no higher than 192k?

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #489 of 516
I recall reading that there Is some new USB technology or USB board soon to be implemented in the Yggdrasil? I can’t fully recall exactly where I heard about this. Anyone aware of this?

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #490 of 516
I recall reading that there Is some new USB technology or USB board soon to be implemented in the Yggdrasil? I can’t fully recall exactly where I heard about this. Anyone aware of this?
Schiit has developed their own proprietary USB receiver called Unison. So far it is sold in the new Bifrost 2 but can be added to the Yggdrasil by swapping out the USB board. It was extensively beta tested this past year. It is supposed to be available around January 2020 for the Yggdrasil. I think if you know your way around electronics Schiit will sell you the board to install yourself or you can send back in if you prefer.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #492 of 516
I like it so much I have 2 Yggys.
One runs through a Woo Wa5 to Zu Druid (or Abyss Phi) Using Modwright Oppo 95 for the transport.
I'm late to streaming because I have terrible internet (2.5 Mbps on a good day )
Anyway, I finally hooked up a just OK laptop with Win 10 via USB to the Yggy so I can stream Tidal.
Sounds pretty good but I'm sure it would have to be much more complicated than that to sound great.
What am I missing?

Jun 16, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #493 of 516
What am I missing?

A friend of mine hooked up a streamer to his Yggy A2/Unison rather than his computer, and asked me along the lines of "Am I going crazy, or does this sound better?" so I tried it myself with a Raspberry Pi 3b with a USB isolator. It seemed to be a little better than my Mac Mini. I have no idea why. Unison has been about as good a USB implementation as I've used on a DAC.

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #495 of 516
I am curious if anyone has a SACD player along with a Yggy. I’m in the market for a CD player (yes, I know Schiit has a transport coming soon). I am a big fan of jazz and classical. I also tend to purchase a lot of Hybrid SACDs just for the Redbook layer and play that through my Yggy. These all sound fantastic. However, for the past month I have been researching SACD players and people’s impressions. I’ve run into two different trends on this search. First, almost everyone believes SACD is an upgrade over standard Redbook. Second, everyone seems amazed when they buy a nice SACD player and listen to a CD. So here is what I’m trying to get at.... I have had my Yggy for 9 months and absolutely love it. It captures all recordings unbelievably well. I am wondering if many of these reviews that I see have never really heard what a really great DAC can do for the CD. And also, now I’m curious if there is even a point in getting a SACD player and utilizing those layers of my favorite recordings. Will a pure DSD output really be up to the quality of the Yggy.
I guess my post is kind of a question and also a statement. I’m just curious if anyone has had a serious listen to good SACD playback and also compared this with the Yggdrasil. I still haven’t determined what spinner I’m going to buy. It seems like I go all in and spend over 2k for a strong SACD player (and use the digital outs to the Yggy for my CDs) or just wait for the Schiit Transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back