The New Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Impressions thread (read the first post)
Mar 25, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #451 of 512
Seem its too high output for my amp ( it's alredy too loud at 8 o'clock.. 9 is alredy uncomfortable. It's sad they go so high on line out stage this days (
My yggy is 4,22 RMS, while standard for line-out level was 0,7!
The "standard" max balanced level in the pro world is actually 7.5-8V. Schiit apparently cut the corners a little by using the lower value to fit under the unbalanced standard max level of 2V (one leg of a balanced connection is 4V divided by two). The unbalanced connections have worse S/N ratio and prone to various interference.

Mar 25, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #452 of 512
I use both balanced and unbalanced. The balanced outputs feed the Ragnarok and the unbalanced outputs feed my Yamaha A-S701. The A-S701 sounds perfectly fine paired with Heresy III's and the Ragnarok, it's powing a set of Aria 906 speakers. Just my opinion but personal I feel the Ragnarok lacks proper synergy with the Heresy III's, the pairing can be a little bright at times.

The Yggdrasil>Ragnarok running balanced will more than likely be my endgame when it comes to the Utopia and HD800S.

Mar 26, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #453 of 512
I run my Yggy & Freya combo fully balanced with a studio subwoofer and pair of studio monitors.
The monitors have a -10dBV / +4dBu selector switch on them for adjusting the appropriate level. -10dBV is typically used when pairing consumer and pro audio gear together, and I find this to be the correct setting for my setup. The subwoofer is of course level matched accordingly.

Mar 26, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #454 of 512
Thank you.. all this just confirm. Balanced connection also in my case hopefully will benefit from attenuation.
I ordered -10db in line attenuators and contacted Bryston if anything can be done for their side to decrease sensitivity.

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #455 of 512
So currently I have the Gumby and the Yggy both connected through the EC ZDS and wow this has been such a fun experience A/Bing between the two!

I'm 3 days in warming up the Yggy and it's already making me want to keep the Yggy over the Gumby... The instruments are so well separated and detail just jump out at you even at really low volume. Gumby has a bigger stage but it's blurry compared to the Yggy. I used to be one of the skeptics that thought DACs don't really sound different and are not worth the asking price, but now I'm realizing what I was missing in my listening experience... I hate that I can actually hear a difference :/ my wallet cries

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #456 of 512
Gumby has a bigger stage? I was expecting the opposite... I've only heard the Gumby (the presumed A2 Gumby, I presume:) ) and it didn't impress me with its soundstage width too much so I was kind of hoping the Yggy would improve upon it.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #457 of 512
So currently I have the Gumby and the Yggy both connected through the EC ZDS and wow this has been such a fun experience A/Bing between the two!

I'm 3 days in warming up the Yggy and it's already making me want to keep the Yggy over the Gumby... The instruments are so well separated and detail just jump out at you even at really low volume. Gumby has a bigger stage but it's blurry compared to the Yggy. I used to be one of the skeptics that thought DACs don't really sound different and are not worth the asking price, but now I'm realizing what I was missing in my listening experience... I hate that I can actually hear a difference :/ my wallet cries
3 days ain't nuth'n, just wait till you hit 1 month.
There will be no turning back.

And the size of the soundstage being bigger or smaller?

Once the JggyB hits it's stride, the soundstage will be exactly as big or small as it should be.

Just my observations.

JJ

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #458 of 512
3 days ain't nuth'n, just wait till you hit 1 month.
There will be no turning back.

And the size of the soundstage being bigger or smaller?

Once the JggyB hits it's stride, the soundstage will be exactly as big or small as it should be.

Just my observations.

JJ

This needs to be emphasized. If the soundstage of a DAC is always the same size then that DAC is not reproducing the music as recorded. Real music breathes, Yggy breathes.Especially after a solid month in service.

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #459 of 512
Yggy tends to be characterized by some as a somewhat intimate sounding DAC and I'd generally agree with this. While it handles all genres well, I've found Live recordings (vocal, instrumental, or both) to be its forte and especially so where the recording has taken place in a smaller, more intimate venue --- Pure Magic!).
..... This coming from a guy that was never much into live recordings prior to Yggy ownership :wink:

Mar 31, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #460 of 512
comming back to professional level.. (not really...) pin 1 and 3 is just shorted on yggy (compromises..)

Attachments

• 20190331_124513.jpg
    20190331_124513.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190331_122631.jpg
    20190331_122631.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #461 of 512
Um, your dvm is set to measure diodes not Ω, so you are seeing misleading readings.

JJ

Mar 31, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #462 of 512
Um, your dvm is set to measure diodes not Ω, so you are seeing misleading readings.

JJ

it's also continouty test.. i hear bzz (sound) from tester in yggy. But will check also resistents position.
thx

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #463 of 512
Yes it does beep when there is a short but the diode test is a polarity based test.
Meaning it is meant to detect differences based upon which probe is placed on which circuit point.

And measuring the output can be rather deceiving depending upon the actual circuit.
For instance a transformer coupled output will measure very differently than an active circuit will.

JJ

Mar 31, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #464 of 512
comming back to professional level.. (not really...) pin 1 and 3 is just shorted on yggy (compromises..)
AC and DC short circuits are very different things. Your DVM applies DC. Your signal is AC. Your findings do not prove anything even if your guess is right. You need something like this to reliably measure impedances https://www.ap.com/analyzers-accessories/apx515/, or devise your own schematic.

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #465 of 512
Another perspective.
In active circuits, the AC impedance (Z) of the output of a dac, preamp, etc. simply can't be measured with a 'static' tool like a dvm.
It can be calculated, or measured by an 'active' device like the one @michkhol linked in the previous post.
But the circuit being measured needs to be powered up and so a static, non-dynamic, measurement, like from a dvm, will not give you a realistic reading, even if it gives you a reading at all.

And trying to read the output Z from a balanced circuit, which 'should be' transformer coupled, will also result in a misleading reading by a static tool (dvm).

The main difference as michkhol noted, is the impedance Z of an AC circuit (which is used to deliver music signals) also needs to include capacitance (F) and inductance (H) along with resistance (Ω).
This makes for a much more complex and dynamic measurement.

And while measuring a DC circuit only involves just one factor, Ω, which a dvm can measure (but not on an active circuit), it simply can't provide meaningful results on analog nor digital output circuits while trying to measure it's output Ω nor Z.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back