The new Sansui SS-100 Thread
Aug 10, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #31 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try them with some cello music.
Bach's cello concertos just make the hairs on the back of my arms stand on end when listening through the SS100s.

Well I did and you are sooooo right
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I am more and more amazed and I love them. I am listening to Connecticut Early Music Festival Ensemble, Vivaldi: The Four Seasons at the moment... All string insturments like cello, strings, doublebass etc sound amasing, I've never heard before such fidelity with headphones... and the soundstage... it is astonishingly precise.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #32 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sim1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I did and you are sooooo right
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I am more and more amazed and I love them. I am listening to Connecticut Early Music Festival Ensemble, Vivaldi: The Four Seasons at the moment... All string insturments like cello, strings, doublebass etc sound amasing, I've never heard before such fidelity with headphones... and the soundstage... it is astonishingly precise.

Eeeexcellent!
Glad you're enjoying them. The SS100 is still in my arsenal for exactly those kinds of instruments and pieces.
I get a buzz out of a lot of small jazz group music and to a lesser extent female vocals.
I find the SS100 delivers the best slam/impact for percussion out of any ortho I've heard.

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #35 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yours, both? sounds twice as
good?

They look great. I hope that w some modification love they can be made to sound as good.

I don't think they need any moding to sound good. What kind of mods do you talk about, what changes would it bring to the sound?

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #36 of 246
Quote:

I don't think they need any moding to sound good. What kind of mods do you talk about, what changes would it bring to the sound?

Sorry about that as I have not heard them myself! Great to hear that yours sound as good as they look!

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #37 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about that as I have not heard them myself! Great to hear that yours sound as good as they look!

Well, I just think that they sound very specific yet great way and if you mod them and try to make them sound different way you will loose this signature and as in most mods, affect the soundstage.
Personally I am rather against mods of vintage
normal_smile .gif
, for me it's just a little like tuning oldtimers.

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #38 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by aasat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two Sansui's
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow!
How did you end up with two of these rare beasts?

I have to say I'm a little against modding these cans as well. Their sound signature is not for everyone nor for every style but for me when it gels...stand back!
wink_face.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #39 of 246
You'll be glad to know that unless the driver is taken out of its beautiful chassis, there isn't much that can be done to the SS-100. There's no bass hump to tame, for example. Some of us do have the raw drivers for the SS-100, but my strong feeling is that the headphone is what it is, and with the possible exception of getting the high treble up with a reflex dot, it's best left to itself.

Do you two find the headphone comfortable? The rubber suspension on mine has very little "give", so getting a good seal is problematic. Could be an age-related problem.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #41 of 246
Amen, brother.

By the way, just in case you were wondering, the age-related problem I mentioned wasn't me; I was referring to the aging of the little rubber suspension elements.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #42 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, just in case you were wondering, the age-related problem I mentioned wasn't me; I was referring to the aging of the little rubber suspension elements.

LOL!
atsmile.gif

I have to confess the question did cross my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you two find the headphone comfortable? The rubber suspension on mine has very little "give", so getting a good seal is problematic. Could be an age-related problem.

In short, yes, I do. If it weren't for the fact that the synthetic pads make my ears a bit sweaty, I could wear them for hours.
That said, I have somewhat small ears so might not need as much give from the rubber suspension elements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man the SS-100 styling is awesome. Sansui done a heck of a job on the aesthetics.

That they did.
The SS-100 remains my favourite headphone based on looks.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #43 of 246
BTW, might I ask what kind of amps you guys are using to power your SS-100 and if you have more than one what's your fave and why?

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #44 of 246
I use C.E.C. HD51 both with C.E.C. DX51 (full balancded sound) and TDA1543 NOSDAC (non balanced) for all of my cans. Much better sound is obviously with DX51 but NOSDAC is my everyday's setup.
I don't have too much experience with other headamps as even OTL I use is designed for 100 or more ohms load, so louder listening of SS-100 with it results in audiable distortion.
Soundstage is rendered better on HD51, but sound from OTL is slightly wormer.
If you ask if I searched for the most suitable amp for Sansui, answer is No
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #45 of 246
Quote:

If you ask if I searched for the most suitable amp for Sansui, answer is No
wink.gif

The search continues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back