Mar 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #136 of 154
Just picked mine up today! I love it already 
etysmile.gif

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #137 of 154
Tap, tap...testing, one, two.
Ahem!?
Anyone?

So embarrassing.

I bought my son a Sansa+ 2gb yesterday (didn't see any point getting on e with more memory, the little memory cards are so cheap.)

It is tiny, cute, well made for the price.

BUT I simply don't get how so many people think that the sound is so good. I think that the bass sounds unclear, and the rest... unremarkable. I admit my hearing is far from perfect, but still.

I have many other portable sources to compare it with, iPod, iPhone, Minidisk, etc. I am listening to wave files. I have tried with various reasonable headphones (AKG K 450, Senn PX 100, Porta pro). 

Oh, and it plays my flac files at half speed. Wrong sampling rate? If so, what do I do? These were (paid for) downloads.

Any ideas? I want to like this little gadget!

Perhaps mine is just faulty.

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #138 of 154

Quote:
Tap, tap...testing, one, two.
Ahem!?
Anyone?

So embarrassing.

I bought my son a Sansa+ 2gb yesterday (didn't see any point getting on e with more memory, the little memory cards are so cheap.)

It is tiny, cute, well made for the price.

BUT I simply don't get how so many people think that the sound is so good. I think that the bass sounds unclear, and the rest... unremarkable. I admit my hearing is far from perfect, but still.

I have many other portable sources to compare it with, iPod, iPhone, Minidisk, etc. I am listening to wave files. I have tried with various reasonable headphones (AKG K 450, Senn PX 100, Porta pro). 

Oh, and it plays my flac files at half speed. Wrong sampling rate? If so, what do I do? These were (paid for) downloads.

Any ideas? I want to like this little gadget!

Perhaps mine is just faulty.

Quite a few of us have tried pushing back against the hype on the Clip+.  For the size and price the sound is really good put into perspective.  Plus many take the user configurability via Rockbox and add that into their SQ equation.  I would also say the Clip+ is underdriving those headphones most likely  even though others think the Clip+ is sooooo powerful it can drive a John Deere tractor.  In relative terms the Clip+ is a pretty good DAP.  In absolute terms it's okay.  It's major strength is that it commits very few offenses in key areas that tend to be measured and weighted around these parts. 

I did the same.  Spent the money on external cards rather than internal memory.

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #140 of 154
What sampling bit-rate/sampling-rate are they?
Are they hi-rez?

Apr 2, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #142 of 154
"What sampling bit-rate/sampling-rate are they?
5698 kbps/96000 hz

"Are they hi-res?"
Yes, hi-res.

I may go the Rock box route, if I think the sound quality is worth the trouble.

Oh, dug out my old Sony earphones :  MDR - A30's, and the Clip sounds much better with those, of course they don't have a lot of bass anyway...

So I guess the Clip is not broken/faulty.

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #144 of 154

Quote:
Quite a few of us have tried pushing back against the hype on the Clip+.  For the size and price the sound is really good put into perspective.  

>> Snip <<

Lol.....Good luck with that....
beerchug.gif

As with any component of audio gear, the hype machine will roll and roll and if you've been here for a while you would have read this many times.  I personally think it's great and peeps can make up their own mind on this one for the price it comes by.  I jumped on the Clip+ bandwagon and am enjoying my 8gb very much.  I have used the head-out as a line-out with amps, powered speakers etc., as well as various iems and headphones with it too.  IMO, it does a very good job and I like the sound very much.  When I first received it, I Rockboxed it immediately.  It does take a few extra steps to Rb and not as plug and play as with all my other Rboxed ipods with the installer.  Adding music in MSC mode is also a few extra steps, but for the price to performance ratio it is definitely worth it.  The initial volume limiter was also a pita.  But great purchase for me...

Good times...

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #145 of 154

Quote:
Yup, Rockbox can play hi-res FLAC no prob. Even 24/96 like you have there. Go for it.

Can someone provide a link to any online info that cooberates that (ie. Rockbox-HiRes playability)?

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #146 of 154

Quote:
Can someone provide a link to any online info that cooberates that (ie. Rockbox-HiRes playability)?

It would have to be downconverted, I seriously doubt the Clip DAC is hi-rez capable.  Could be wrong.  I'll try it this evening by popping my 602 card in the Clip if nobody has an answer.

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #147 of 154

Quote:
It would have to be downconverted, I seriously doubt the Clip DAC is hi-rez capable.  Could be wrong.  I'll try it this evening by popping my 602 card in the Clip if nobody has an answer.

It downconverts it as it plays, I think.....

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #148 of 154
Hi guys,

I've just bought this little PMP. It's nice...and small. But it sounds absolutely awful. It's normal that on my laptop the lossless files, with the same phones, sound much better?

Thanks.

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #149 of 154
I find that my Clip sounds quite wonderful and most Head-Fiers seem to agree. If your laptop has a nice soundcard, it's possible. What headphones are you using? Amplification?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back