The New Kinera H3 Triple Hybrid IEM
Oct 27, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #226 of 344
It's always good to have different feedbacks and comments. We do noticed all the problems found on h3 , and it will improved on the h3plus instead. Most of the problem cause by the BA we used on the H3 and so we have make further adjustment focusing on this issue. Thank you and stay tuned for the upgrade version.

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #227 of 344
Steve - its really great hearing this sort of positive feedback from a rep. I hope that in some way I've managed to help - but am sure your guys would have known a lot of this already. Good luck with the development. PM me if your engineers want clarification on anything I've mentioned.

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #229 of 344
We do admit that the H3 has its weakness especially on highs and noticeable sibilance, and for the tips missing on the nozzle, so we gathered all the feedbacks and started redoing all the sound tuning, changing the BA, etc. So the pro version will be targeting for people who would like a better performance on every aspect with a slight increase in price. Because we ve basically changed everything except the shell.

I think the shell needed most of changes, I was okay with the sound for the most part, but the comfort was really... miss for me... lots and lots of driver flex, the IEM enclosure doesn't breathe even though it has an open port, leading to driver overpressurization.

For anyone with a parametric EQ (I use the Equaliser app on my iPhone SE), I'd be keen to know thoughts on the following EQ (which to me restores a more natural tone to the H3).

Its not 100% correct yet, but I think its about 90% there:

400 Hz > Q=0.5 > +1.0 dB
800 Hz > Q=2.0 > +3.0 dB
1.5 kHz > Q=0.5 > -2.0 dB
3.0 kHz > Q=1.0 > +3.0 dB
7.0 kHz > Q=1.0 > -6.0 dB

Steve - I'd be interested in your thoughts on this as well.

I'd leave the 3.0 kHz as it is right now, do your version of -6.0 dB at 7.0 kHz, and add a gradual upward slope after 9kHz, starting at +1 at about 10 kHz, and going up to + 6 at 20 kHz, since they roll off a bit in that area.

Going by the Fletcher Muson curve, I think I know why the two of us differ, and that is laregly because of the differences in loudness we listen at.

At any rate, my suggestion of an upwards slope after 9kHz shouldn't have any negative impact on the sound, and at most it will increase the soundstage for those who hear it that way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This being said, my review is almost ready, and the one thing I have to comment negatively about is the comfort. Either I have a broken sample, or my ears don't work well with H3 because I have lots of driver flex, it simply flexes as soon as it touches my ears. Not unbearable, but it is worse than it is on ie800 or Orivety New Primacy, basically the most driver flex I heard, and I am probably nitpicking, but I can see two holes in them, so I know they shouldn't do this, so this is probably what drives me crazy :smile_phones:

I might have a broken sample when it comes to this aspect.

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #231 of 344
It's always good to have different feedbacks and comments. We do noticed all the problems found on h3 , and it will improved on the h3plus instead. Most of the problem cause by the BA we used on the H3 and so we have make further adjustment focusing on this issue. Thank you and stay tuned for the upgrade version.

Lookinf forward to more news about the new upgraded version!

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #233 of 344
The driver flex has also been fixed in the upgrade version. Thanks.

Perfect! That is pretty much my only real gripe with it. Everything else is quite cool, including the sound, which although as pointed before, is very bright, is also very detailed and clear for the price range, excedeing most expectations considering the price.

This means that the upgraded version will be a real hit! :darthsmile:

H3 looks great as far as looks go actually! :smile_phones:

bNwruyO.jpg

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #234 of 344
George - sorry a little confused. Are you saying you have comfort issues with the H3? I guess I'd be just a bit surprised if you were, as that is the one thing almost everyone seems to be universally agreed upon (fit and comfort is awesome). Driver flex is a different issue to comfort - and while present on initial insertion, it disappeared immediately once inserted.

As to my adjustments - thanks for the feedback. If you'll note from my reviews I can't hear anything above 14 kHz so its pointless me EQing the upper reaches. And I already advised my graph is likely down in the 9-10 kHz range, and I already tested adding more at that frequency, but it yields no gains (to me anyway). The 3 kHz addition is simply to try and work with the 1-2 kHz reduction, remove some of the early bump, and make it a more gradual incline to 3 kHz. The notch at 3 kHz currently is where some users will experience dissonance (rises to quick too early, then notches). It makes the vocal area stand out, but also makes many instruments appear a little unnatural and strident.

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #235 of 344
George - sorry a little confused. Are you saying you have comfort issues with the H3? I guess I'd be just a bit surprised if you were, as that is the one thing almost everyone seems to be universally agreed upon (fit and comfort is awesome). Driver flex is a different issue to comfort - and while present on initial insertion, it disappeared immediately once inserted.

As to my adjustments - thanks for the feedback. If you'll note from my reviews I can't hear anything above 14 kHz so its pointless me EQing the upper reaches. And I already advised my graph is likely down in the 9-10 kHz range, and I already tested adding more at that frequency, but it yields no gains (to me anyway). The 3 kHz addition is simply to try and work with the 1-2 kHz reduction, remove some of the early bump, and make it a more gradual incline to 3 kHz. The notch at 3 kHz currently is where some users will experience dissonance (rises to quick too early, then notches). It makes the vocal area stand out, but also makes many instruments appear a little unnatural and strident.

Oh, I see now!

Thank you for the clarification! I wasn't aware that this is what the 3kHz bump was doing effectively. Very good call in this situation!

As for comfort, yes, my comfort is really poor because of the driver flex, somehow my ears are sensitive only to flex, and the more there is, the worse. I also sing, so the driver flex changes every time I open my mouth, and it flexes the dynamic driver back and forth, making me use them only if I'm standing absolutely still. The notch / part at the back of the driver, the one which is supposed to touch the back of the ear for better fixation, is kinda... pushing my ear. It is painful after a while. Which is interesting since most things are quite comfortable for me, I guess my ears are narrower than H3 was projected for in this dimmension. Adjusting them creates more driver flex, so the whole experience is quite bad. They were most probably cut after a custom impression, or calculated as an average of custom impressions, but somehow that back notch is supposed to touch the back of the ear, but since no other IEMs do that, it is not extremely comfortable. The material is smooth and really nice to the thouch tho, so it alleviates it, but the driver flex still makes them hard to use from this perspective. It is interesting that it never bothered anyone else.

My typical ritual for getting unbeatable comfort is to pull my ear backwards while inserting something, then playing with the said IEM around in my ear until I find a sweet spot. Driver flex totally breaks that, so I lose my comfort...

I cannot complain about H3 that much, mostly because they are a 100$ IEM, so I dont have the highest of expectations, and they deliver way more than I expected on clarity and detail, but if they were to be compared with F9 penny for penny, they'd stand on equal ground only without driver flex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back