The New Kinera H3 Triple Hybrid IEM
Oct 11, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #197 of 344
Oct 19, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #206 of 344
Just got a pair courtesy of Penon - and my thanks to them for sending a sample through to review.

Initial thoughts:
  • They definitely look really nice and are very comfortable.
  • Practically lipless nozzle was a design mistake and severely curtails tip rolling options
  • Cable seems nicely built and is very flexible.
  • Haven't measured yet - but ......
    • Think they might be a little V shaped? Or at least lower-mids are quite recessed.
    • Vocals are a little thin and can be quite nasal (especially male vocals)
    • There is a lot of peakiness in the lower treble - guessing between 6-8 kHz - because cymbals sound tizzy and brittle.
Guessing there is some potential here with EQ - but I'm very surprised by all the 5 star reviews. i was expecting something a lot more natural sounding.

Obviously need to give them some more time.

Oct 19, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #207 of 344
Just got a pair courtesy of Penon - and my thanks to them for sending a sample through to review.

Initial thoughts:
  • Practically lipless nozzle was a design mistake and severely curtails tip rolling options
    • Think they might be a little V shaped? Or at least lower-mids are quite recessed.
    • There is a lot of peakiness in the lower treble - guessing between 6-8 kHz - because cymbals sound tizzy and brittle.
Guessing there is some potential here with EQ - but I'm very surprised by all the 5 star reviews. i was expecting something a lot more natural sounding.

Haha, I came to the same impressions as well. Was expecting a lot more especially after all the hype the first wave of reviewers generated. Honestly it sounded worse the longer I analysed it; I'm pretty sure I'm detecting incoherency between the DD and BA as well.

Oct 19, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #208 of 344

Initial thoughts:

Pretty spot on, they are quite V-shaped, thin but clear and spiked in the lower treble. Not a super natural sounding earphone but some of the Chi-fi stuff sounds downright wonky, so these aren't so bad by comparison. They also have loads of technical ability for the price and are just a nicely rounded product in my eyes. That kind of sound is also what buyers around this price are looking for even if it isn't objectively natural, refined or particularly balanced.

If you've listened to the EN700 Bass, it provides a lot of the experience of the Pro at a lower price. It's a standouts because it's probably one of the most natural earphones around this price. The Rose mini 2 is also excellent in terms of linearity. Kinera are working on a new in ear, preliminary measurements are looking a lot smoother than the K3 as requested by numerous listeners and critics.

Oct 19, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #209 of 344
I just put some Dido on (and she is usually mastered overly warm). I'm getting sibilance (serious amounts of it) and I don't get that with practically any earphone, and any high-hat or cymbal is really sharp. How can people not be bothered by this?

Oct 19, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #210 of 344
I just put some Dido on (and she is usually mastered overly warm). I'm getting sibilance (serious amounts of it) and I don't get that with practically any earphone, and any high-hat or cymbal is really sharp. How can people not be bothered by this?

That's interesting Brooko, I actually find the F9 to be considerably more sibilant. I doubt our ears are different to that extent, perhaps we need to start considering unit variation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back