The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Oct 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #436 of 1,522
Quote:
Tip2. Roll! Roll that paper. You guys know what i mean. Rollit
biggrin.gif
. Insert under the pads.

I keep doing this on many of my headphones, works beautifully, just make sure to not make it too thick as it tends to make mids sound more recessed as it gets more space between the driver and the ear, I usually take a piece of ark, cut it in half and roll it into 1cm wide rolls and stuff inside so a half piece of paper per cup is what I find most of the time quite suitable.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #437 of 1,522
would be interesting to also see a comparison with the AKG pads..
Also While burning in and waiting for pads to come I decided to mak a super cheapo mod to give the space it needed to eliminate congestioon from being too clamped close to my head.
I can't believe how simply adding a rolled up napkkin around the edges of the inner pad seemed to totally solve my ear problem and clear up the sound so much what I am hearing is definitely not $25 or $50 or even $100 but easily surpases and dare I say even in the $200+ range headphone sound in both imaging and presence. I am used to my ATH esw9 so I like my mids smooth and this unit delivers.
The napkin paper I placed created the distance needed as the headband just clamped thosr
thin stock pads to closely to my ears.
Also it seems to clear up sound a bit. maybe the paper can absorbs any resonances?
Anyway the stock pads are still firm and not comfortable for long..
Also just to know, I have average to sma ears and dont have a big head but can feel/ notice the secure clamp of these headphone.

Nice mod. Id like to hear that. Going outta town. Maybe when i get back i might try those.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #438 of 1,522
WoW just WoW!!! DAT MIDS all over my face/ DAT BASS/ DAT improved highs. 

Alright so i have been using my S400s with the AKG LE518 pads Dsnuts said was the best sonic combo. Well, was kinda underwhelmed at 1st, cuz although the sound from my S400s does sound more airy/ less congested as well as improvement of the highs as compared to the stock pads, it sounded kinda flat/ boring. I was like this is it? This was what Dsnuts was raving about??? (something was not right/ felt lacking for me regarding this sound)

As the result of the AKG pad being thicker/ more round/ slightly bigger and has that felt/foam piece that filters the sound coming out of the 30mm drivers there was a noticeable loss of bass, so the volume has to be kicked up couple of notches on my ipod nano 4th gen to make up for it. Stock pad S400s went from bassy fun/ musical sounding to now a even more laid-back mid centric/ bass lacking sound with improved highs with these AGK pads. The highs improved so much that I can actually pick out slight sibilance from the S400s, which is kinda crazy considered that with stock pads these things were so smooth that there was no harshness/ sibilance detected whatsoever.
blink.gif

So, after I read about that paper towel stuffing technique maxx and RPGWiz mentioned, i was like what the heck, might as well try it cuz it doesn't hurt my wallet or my S400s and it is so simple. I rolled/ stuffed about 1 1/2 round of towels inside the ring, which also helps to keep the felt piece down/ now laying a bit more flat as the result. Man not only did this make the entire sound more balanced, the sweet bass is back combined with improved highs and the overall more airy sound these S400s are TOTAL EAR-ORGASMICA now with everything I listen to. Everything just sound so "right" with the bass banging deep and low, mids all over my face and highs are where it should be, just a crazy nice balanced fun sound. 

But as the result of all these extra added layers, the sound level has to be cranked up to like 80 to 85 % on my nano (for some reason there is a synergy going on with these S400 and my ipod classic/ nano sonically which makes them sound really nice, while my clip+ even with EQ doesn't sound right with the S400s esp if you use the AKG pads hmmm strange.) for me to really achieve this sound, while with stock pads these S400s sound really loud/ adequate when volume is set to upper upper 60s to lower 70s.  Oh and also the AKG pads are kinda loose fitting on these S400s as Dsnuts mentioned, so i rolled/ stuffed some cotton on the back ring to thicken it so it wraps a bit tighter, though is is still kinda loose but not as bad as before.

Hope you try this out ghost when you get your AKG pads. 

/mod spazzing
beerchug.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #439 of 1,522
Interesting, i'll be doing this for sure.

So to be clear, you've found the best sound with the k81 pads with the foam in?  Have you tried taking the foam pieces out?  I've got some k81 pads i'll be sure to try out, but I took out the pads long ago...wonder if that could sound better?

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #440 of 1,522
Yea I'd also try taking away the foam disc on the AKG pads (it's not glued or anything, just held down by the pads), this results in a more V-shape sound on the K518/K81DJ which seems to be what S400 would benefit from. Might be a bit too drastic change possibly, the K518 DJ I tested it on becaome from a bit warm/dark sounding to slightly V-shape sounding headphone altough I doubt the AKGs have as forward mids as the S400 so would probably benefit S400 more than the AKGs and have a feeling the mids/highs might become quite balanced on S400 by doing so and should help with the resolution in the highs too.

EDIT: if taking away the foam disc you would probably also have to remove the extra foam or otherwise it would probably end up too V-shape sounding. (remember the greater distance to the drivers from your ear the more distant midrange especially)

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #441 of 1,522
Quote:
Interesting, i'll be doing this for sure.

So to be clear, you've found the best sound with the k81 pads with the foam in?  Have you tried taking the foam pieces out?  I've got some k81 pads i'll be sure to try out, but I took out the pads long ago...wonder if that could sound better?

Yeppp, I tried it one time without the felt-foam and the sound just felt flat/ less airy, more shouty?  With the stuffed paper towels and the felt piece it seems to have created more depth/ increased soundstage a bit so the entire sound spectrum feels more balanced and in their right places. I dunno that this little mod could do so much to the sound, but what I am hearing now just sounds more "right" to me, unlike before with just the akg pads there was something lacking/ lackluster about it.  

Yeah the AKG K81 pads are the same as the AKG LE518 ones, so definitely give it a try if you have it. Happy modding/ listening you'll. 

edit: Basically what RPGWiz is saying. LoL

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #442 of 1,522
Quote:
Yeppp, I tried it one time without the felt-foam and the sound just felt flat/ less airy, more shouty?  With the stuffed paper towels and the felt piece it seems to have created more depth/ increased soundstage a bit so the entire sound spectrum feels more balanced and in their right places. I dunno that this little mod could do so much to the sound, but what I am hearing now just sounds more "right" to me, unlike before with just the akg pads there was something lacking/ lackluster about it.  

I'd like to try the paper towel trick on my S500 stock pads. Do you take the pads off first before commencing with the stuffage? If so, how do you take the pads off?

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #443 of 1,522
Quote:

I'd like to try the paper towel trick on my S500 stock pads. Do you take the pads off first before commencing with the stuffage? If so, how do you take the pads off?

You don't have to take the pads off, well at least I didn't. Just roll the paper up real good and commence your "stuffage" directly into the inner ring of the pads. It's really that simple, roll and stuff 1 to 2 full rings of the paper towels. The amount you add depends on the sound you like to achieve, so have fun with it. 

edit: Yeppp I am gonna try to with my other pair of S400s with the stock pads, just to see if the sound changes and how it compares with my other pair of S400s with the AKG pad/ paper stuffed mod. Hope it also improves the sound. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #444 of 1,522
Quote:
You don't have to take the pads off, well at least I didn't. Just roll the paper up real good and commence your "stuffage" directly into the inner ring of the pads. It's really that simple, roll and stuff 1 to 2 full rings of the paper towels. The amount you add depends on the sound you like to achieve, so have fun with it. 

edit: Yeppp I am gonna try to with my other pair of S400s with the stock pads, just to see if the sound changes and how it compares with my other pair of S400s with the AKG pad/ paper stuffed mod. Hope it also improves the sound. 

Thanks. Stuffage complete. Listening in progress :)

Edit: First time I've ever heard King Crimson's Larks' Tongues In Aspic (Part IV). Heavy :)

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #445 of 1,522
Out of everything I own... 2nd night in a row im sitting here listeng to these s400 with the AT pads on them. Do like thes things. I'll go ahead and confirm that to me these are equal to the s500 with the right pads. Just a smoother more midcentric listen with slight bass emphasis for when you are in the mood for that.

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #446 of 1,522
Quote:
Out of everything I own... 2nd night in a row im sitting here listeng to these s400 with the AT pads on them. Do like thes things. I'll go ahead and confirm that to me these are equal to the s500 with the right pads. Just a smoother more midcentric listen with slight bass emphasis for when you are in the mood for that.

Welcome back aboard doc, already knew you weren't gonna abandon ship so quick. Ghost was right on the money with these things, they don't sound "inferior" whatsoever to the S500s. These S400s is in it's own little midcentric world and is not afraid to show you it's awesomesauceness.  I am hearing lots of things in the mids that I wasn't able to picked out with my S500s, cuz the sound signature of these S400s are uniquely different yet retain the same characteristics of JVC's carbon nanotube sound. 

The S500s has that WOW factor that just grabs your attention, while these S400s has the SMOOTH COOL sound that you have to take your time with in order to understand/ realize what you are dealing with. I am really diggin' my S400s with the akg pad combined with that paper towel stuffing mod esp with my ipod classic/ nano. While my S500s are just outta this world with my pad-on-pad mod combined with my rockboxed clip+. Man this all worked out nicely, cuz all my audio players are utilized due to the different sonic synergies that are going on with the headphones and different audio sources, nice nice. 

Hey doc, go try that paper towel stuffing mod on your ATH pleathers, cuz you might hear some sound improvements that you might really like. No promises though, but it is so easy to do mind as well try it cuz it doesn't hurt a thang meng. 
L3000.gif

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #447 of 1,522
Hey doc, go try that paper towel stuffing mod on your ATH pleathers, cuz you might hear some sound improvements that you might really like. No promises though, but it is so easy to do mind as well try it cuz it doesn't hurt a thang meng.  :L3000:

I tried it........

th_ae0b203da6d2d72adf89b1cbc4ab4d02.jpg
+ AT Pads +
Bounty.jpg
= FAIL

Gave kind of a distant "concert hall" sound like if someone hit the little sound preset on your stereo reciever. U know the "hall" effect button no one on earth actually ever uses?

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #448 of 1,522
Quote:
I tried it........
th_ae0b203da6d2d72adf89b1cbc4ab4d02.jpg
+ AT Pads +
Bounty.jpg
= FAIL
Gave kind of a distant "concert hall" sound like if someone hit the little sound preset on your stereo reciever. U know the "hall" effect button no one on earth actually ever uses?

...I agree Doc...got just about 50 hours on these little dandies and I heard SFW talking about this...I said I wouldn't go there as far as replacement pads and would stay the purist with the stock pads...so I tried it with the stock pads(don't know about Bounty but used napkins) but I got some of the same effect you are speaking about Doc...I lost too much of what I love about these in stock form...I love these as is and I am hoping they continue to get better with break in...I just can't seem to pound these as much as I should be because I like wearing and listening to these too darn much...keep the impressions coming though as I would like to hear from whoever has the most time on these and how they have changed...here's to the stock JVC HA-S400's
beerchug.gif
...they are indeed very very impressive aside of their ridiculously low price point...love em!!
L3000.gif

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #449 of 1,522
Quote:
I tried it........

Yup, that's what I found also with the S500 + stock pads + paper towel.

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #450 of 1,522
yea, thats how they sounded with to many paper.  i am not hearing no "hall" efect whatsoever with not so much  paper.
Listening to The Police Greatest Hit Cd with some paper on, man.. beatiful
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back