The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Oct 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #407 of 1,522
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-For-Audio-Technica-ATH-SJ5-DJ-Style-Headphones-Black-/251160088897?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3a7a4ed141   These are what you want.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #408 of 1,522
Quote:
@ghost

What pads do you use on your S400s? I don't remember you talked about changing the stock pads on these, so do stock ones sound the best to you then??? Just wondering.....  

I believe most folks would be initially listening to both S400 and S500 with the stock pads, thus my reviews has been based on the stock pads.

As DSnuts has stated, the sound can be tuned via changing of the pads, this is customising of the phones to suit individual's SQ preferences, I can understand how this can work for some but not for others.

I have tried the ATH-Velours and ATH-Pleather on both phones and they made a huge difference in the S500, not so much for the S400. I couldn't achieve the signature I wanted with both pads and the stock pads went back on, granted, they're not the most comfy pads around but they're not as bad as some have describe them to be, I've even went to sleep with them on.
I'm currently awaiting delivery of the K81DJ pads recommended by Imswjm and hoping they'll do me, otherwise I'll have to do with the stock pads.

I do believe JVC tuned these via the pads opening and the space in the cups.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #410 of 1,522
Quote:

I believe most folks would be initially listening to both S400 and S500 with the stock pads, thus my reviews has been based on the stock pads.

As DSnuts has stated, the sound can be tuned via changing of the pads, this is customising of the phones to suit individual's SQ preferences, I can understand how this can work for some but not for others.

I have tried the ATH-Velours and ATH-Pleather on both phones and they made a huge difference in the S500, not so much for the S400. I couldn't achieve the signature I wanted with both pads and the stock pads went back on, granted, they're not the most comfy pads around but they're not as bad as some have describe them to be, I've even went to sleep with them on.
I'm currently awaiting delivery of the K81DJ pads recommended by Imswjm and hoping they'll do me, otherwise I'll have to do with the stock pads.

Isn't the AKG K81DJ the same as the AKG K518DJ pads Dsnuts said sounded the best on these S400s?  The K518DJ seems like it is a limited run of these K81DJs hmmmm. Let me know how you like the sound with these AKG pads. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #411 of 1,522
o.k. finally got the ha-s400 in my hands today!!...don't like to make early emotional impressions because I like to be as fair as I can to a headphone right out of the box...I will admit the human being in me was a slight bit underwhelmed/disappointed so to speak...however, I have been breaking in/listening to the fx-40 for quite some time...still bright but I love it other than that (still hoping the brightness subsides)

...that being said I think these cheap little jewels will be one heck of a headphone once broken in...they lack the brightness/sibilance of the fx-40 which is good straight away...the vocals are silky smooth and I absolutely love mids...the bass is a little confusing to me on these things...I listened initially to make sure everything once operational but then they went right to the burn in station...I didn't pump up the heavy drum/bass because of the sensitivity of these but I can usually hear it from the other room or close by anyway...

...it just seemed the timbre of the heavy drum/bass was different from all other headphones/iems have broken in...don't know if I can call it artificial or veiled or just much tighter with a lack of sub-bass extension...have to wait and see about that...cooked them for a couple of hours and then said this is crazy...these look too good (white) to be left on a table cooking so I am listening to them as I write...the pads that have been bantered around will have to wait as I have no issue initially with them or the signature...maybe down the road I'll get some type 3's and throw them on for comparison...

...the worry that my sansa clip wouldn't drive them properly is out the window...they have plenty of juice...thanks for that tidbit SWF....as you might conclude there is no final verdict and won't be for quite awhile...however, I am well known for having dead accurate premonitions...so if anyone is on the fence about getting these aside of getting a defective one (heaven forbid) go for it right away...I will tell you that these will be a winner with everything I am hearing...very detailed (non-sibilant), relaxed and fun signature...just be patient and believe in this carbon nanotube technology because it is for real!!...JVC is really hot with this last round of phones!!!...the value is crazy stupid on these...thanks for everyone for their input and I hope this helps!...

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #412 of 1,522
Quote:

I think you will dig the AKGs..

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #413 of 1,522
Quote:
o.k. finally got the ha-s400 in my hands today!!...don't like to make early emotional impressions because I like to be as fair as I can to a headphone right out of the box...I will admit the human being in me was a slight bit underwhelmed/disappointed so to speak...however, I have been breaking in/listening to the fx-40 for quite some time...still bright but I love it other than that (still hoping the brightness subsides)

...that being said I think these cheap little jewels will be one heck of a headphone once broken in...they lack the brightness/sibilance of the fx-40 which is good straight away...the vocals are silky smooth and I absolutely love mids...the bass is a little confusing to me on these things...I listened initially to make sure everything once operational but then they went right to the burn in station...I didn't pump up the heavy drum/bass because of the sensitivity of these but I can usually hear it from the other room or close by anyway...

...it just seemed the timbre of the heavy drum/bass was different from all other headphones/iems have broken in...don't know if I can call it artificial or veiled or just much tighter with a lack of sub-bass extension...have to wait and see about that...cooked them for a couple of hours and then said this is crazy...these look too good (white) to be left on a table cooking so I am listening to them as I write...the pads that have been bantered around will have to wait as I have no issue initially with them or the signature...maybe down the road I'll get some type 3's and throw them on for comparison...

...the worry that my sansa clip wouldn't drive them properly is out the window...they have plenty of juice...thanks for that tidbit SWF....as you might conclude there is no final verdict and won't be for quite awhile...however, I am well known for having dead accurate premonitions...so if anyone is on the fence about getting these aside of getting a defective one (heaven forbid) go for it right away...I will tell you that these will be a winner with everything I am hearing...very detailed (non-sibilant), relaxed and fun signature...just be patient and believe in this carbon nanotube technology because it is for real!!...JVC is really hot with this last round of phones!!!...the value is crazy stupid on these...thanks for everyone for their input and I hope this helps!...

comming from the FX40, i had that same issue with the S500 (diferent phone, but the same CNT family), no complains about the bass in my case but i was "needing" more treble, i even EQed my ipad with Treble Boost.  i was disapointed with the S500 and was complainig for the lack of clarity and treble.   Problem is that once you get used to the FX40 everything else lacks highs and "clarity".   So, they need to be burned, a lot.. and also you got to "burn in" your brain/ears to a new sound signature.

Now?, i cant go back to my Fx40, it lacks almost everything and sounds weak and tiny compared to the S500,  again, its not the same phone but i am almost sure that your brain is "burned" with the FX40.  those things got so many treble that everything else sounds vail or strange.

so, let those S400  burn/listen them ALL WEEK,  dont use the FX40 anymore/or at least for a while. you will then notice that you will only use the Fx40 once in a while or when you really need an iem.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #414 of 1,522
@hersey22

I know right if these sounded this nice just on open box, they are gonna improve for sure after some good burn-in. You can hear the potentials of the carbon nanotube tech in these headphones,  it's some serious business and sound.  Still burning in mines right now, but they are coming along nicely esp. the mids on these are so nice, hearing some things I never picked out before on some of my tracks. Although they might not best the S500s, these S400s has it own little thing going on while still retaining the classic lovely HD carbon nanotube sound, which I just love.
L3000.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #415 of 1,522
Quote:

comming from the FX40, i had that same issue with the S500 (diferent phone, but the same CNT family), no complains about the bass in my case but i was "needing" more treble, i even EQed my ipad with Treble Boost.  i was disapointed with the S500 and was complainig for the lack of clarity and treble.   Problem is that once you get used to the FX40 everything else lacks highs and "clarity".   So, they need to be burned, a lot.. and also you got to "burn in" your brain/ears to a new sound signature.

Now?, i cant go back to my Fx40, it lacks almost everything and sounds weak and tiny compared to the S500,  again, its not the same phone but i am almost sure that your brain is "burned" with the FX40.  those things got so many treble that everything else sounds vail or strange.

so, let those S400  burn/listen them ALL WEEK,  dont use the FX40 anymore/or at least for a while. you will then notice that you will only use the Fx40 once in a while or when you really need an iem.

...that's sounds exactly right Rick...but I sure hope I can go back for certain times I want something more portable...but you might be right these are sounding awfully good as my brain is burning them in...very well balanced and musical...wow!...

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #416 of 1,522
Quote:
@hersey22

I know right if these sounded this nice just on open box, they are gonna improve for sure after some good burn-in. You can hear the potentials of the carbon nanotube tech in these headphones,  it's some serious business and sound.  Still burning in mines right now, but they are coming along nicely esp. the mids on these are so nice, hearing some things I never picked out before on some of my tracks. Although they might not best the S500s, these S400s has it own little thing going on while still retaining the classic lovely HD carbon nanotube sound, which I just love.
L3000.gif

...you're right sfw...I think these blow the Superluxes out of the water and I had been on that bandwagon like forever...if they get any better I might have to pass the HD681 down the line to my son...and as good of value as the Superluxes were they are still slightly more expensive than the JVC's...at least right now...loving it and I think the isolation is much better than I expected...but some sage advice ---don't wear these with a baseball hat!!...that button will absolutely kill you...word!!!...thanks sfw you were right on!...

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #417 of 1,522
^ LoL, were you the guy that asked about the superluxes??? Yeah the luxes are pretty good for their price but they're not really "portable," spectacular in sound or what you would want to wear outside, they're just middle of the road material that don't look that hot.  And compared to these JVC carbon nanotubes there is just no competition, well for me at least.  Loves that JVC BLING BLING. LoL My superluxes are just sitting there gathering dust. :frowning2: Might give them some head time later on, but for now I am fully occupied by these JVC's. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #418 of 1,522
So I got my white pairs at around 100 hours of burn in now..The sound tightens up for certain with burn in. It is much more controlled with some quality drum n bass blasting on the drivers. I have the AKG pads on here and I have to say these sound great!. I only wish these AKG pads was squishy like the ATH pleathers. In any case I was listening to my UE6000s and then I switched to these HA-S400.. Burn them headphones in as much as humanly possible. Lol!

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #419 of 1,522
Quote:
So I got my white pairs at around 100 hours of burn in now..The sound tightens up for certain with burn in. It is much more controlled with some quality drum n bass blasting on the drivers. I have the AKG pads on here and I have to say these sound great!. I only wish these AKG pads was squishy like the ATH pleathers. In any case I was listening to my UE6000s and then I switched to these HA-S400.. Burn them headphones in as much as humanly possible. Lol!

So the Ue600 is that good and worth the 200+ price ?

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #420 of 1,522
Quote:

So the Ue600 is that good and worth the 200+ price ?

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/90/100x100px-LS-90c0ccb0_images.jpeg[/img]
  1. Dsnuts
  2. "You guys can call me an AT superfan"
  3. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v1305918899.png
  5. online
  1. 3,881 Posts. Joined 6/2011

Overnight burn in and I have to say. The mids cleaned up noticeably. Hearing them today put a huge smile on my face. I am hearing better clarity in the whole sound actually..Just many hours of listening will probably yield the same results, which is easy to do with these. It is more of a musical sound but a very nice one. It has a lushness to the sound that is not only easy to listen to but you get lost in it.. These remind me of my Sony XZ700 in sound signature but better in every way..Very impressed. These are by far the best $200 headphones I have ever bought that is for certain. Love the mids on these. I also noticed better depth of timbre detail today on the same tunes I tested with on open box. The bass is intoxicating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back