The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Sep 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #91 of 1,522
Quote:
 approx 39mm opening, 73mm height, 15mm thick FWIW

Exactly the same as the Cobys, so there you are.. if guys want a cheap pad replacement and a headphone "for free".  buy the Cobys.   $9.00

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #93 of 1,522
Quote:
IMO the reason people are not buying the s400 its because they are waiting october when the s400 hits the state.
Reading the reviews and all your comments and knowing that you guys know what your are talking and having the s500, i was going to buy the s400 but at the same moment jvc anounces that they are selling the s400 on october , so it doesnt make any sense paying extra shipping when i can wait a few weeks.
I know that i am not the only one waiting, you guys can be sure that once they start selling these babys in the states that same day iam buying my white s400
So, IMO once they start selling them for 40 bucks, and knowing how good they sound i will not be surprised that its going to be a big hit and sell like cupcakes, 40 bucks for these sound makes no sense at all, and these is going to be a mega thread. You guys just wait and you will see.
As always, sorry for my cr@ppy english.

Oh boy am i silly.. i just ordered these from japan with the shipping.. curiously enough just about exactly a day before you made this post . There is a return policy however so i might use that and save 17$.. though i would feel bad for the poor seller paying return shipping:p
I saw this link earlier, but  the headphones on the first post were different so i thought they werent going to sell them here, but the S400 of course was one post down. http://newsroom.jvc.com/category/news-blog/
Edit: hm the specifications say neodynium magnets, even though the introduction says its the carbon nanotube? Might just be a mistake though.. http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL029132&pathId=135&page=3

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #94 of 1,522
Purchased a pair from Buyfromjapan (Jun Ibaraki) on Thursday, I'll experiment with the earpads from my dead Pioneer MJ51s when they arrive. I'll purchase the S500 later in the year.

The Pioneer headphones for reference (The earpads were probably the best thing about them 
tongue_smile.gif
)
http://www.desertbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/se-mj51.jpg

Sep 29, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #95 of 1,522
Quote:
Exactly the same as the Cobys, so there you are.. if guys want a cheap pad replacement and a headphone "for free".  buy the Cobys.   $9.00

Coby's showed up earlier than expected. They look like nice pads, easy to place. They are not a good alternative to the AT pleathers however. Less clarity, less bass, less comfort. It's kind of mystifying. On paper there should only be subtle differences, not drastic ones.

My 7 year old son won't care though, not yet anyway. So I guess the Coby's won't be a total loss. Thanks for the heads-up. Got to experiment a little to find out the real deal.

Sep 29, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #96 of 1,522
Ok i will try those at pleathers then.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #97 of 1,522
Quote:

Coby's showed up earlier than expected. They look like nice pads, easy to place. They are not a good alternative to the AT pleathers however. Less clarity, less bass, less comfort. It's kind of mystifying. On paper there should only be subtle differences, not drastic ones.

My 7 year old son won't care though, not yet anyway. So I guess the Coby's won't be a total loss. Thanks for the heads-up. Got to experiment a little to find out the real deal.

Damn was hoping them coby's would sound the same as the ath pleathers, guess there is no way around it. Kinda enjoying all this pad madness, makes these S500s that much more interesting and versatile. IT'S ALIVE!!!  

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #98 of 1,522
Quote:
Damn was hoping them coby's would sound the same as the ath pleathers, guess there is no way around it. Kinda enjoying all this pad madness, makes these S500s that much more interesting and versatile. IT'S ALIVE!!!  

well, at least its better than stock.. stock dont make them justice.

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #100 of 1,522
Got my white S400's today.  Took a quick listen and put them on the burn station for the past 6 hours.  Listening to them now.  Sounds similar to the S500's but maybe less bass.  Won't know until I a/b them.  Received the ATH pleather pads also and threw them on right away because I don't care for the supplied pads.  Took more of the bass away but still dig the sound.  I don't think either of these phones can sound bad whatever you do to 'em.  

Sep 29, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #103 of 1,522
I think the HA-S400 it will be the AKG pads or try out your HD25 velours. Because the HA-S400 has smaller 30mm drivers it will sound different with the same pads we got for the HA-S500. Maybe even better. Try this and that. Those ATH leathers for the HA-S500 however should sound right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back