The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Jan 15, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #842 of 1,522
Quote:
sfwalcer.....the super duper duper mo basshead!  Only likes Big Bass....lol!

Me a basshead???
devil_face.gif

On a serious note, not a basshead at all, i just love the weight that great bass gives to my music. This is especially true if you listen to lots of hip hop. I love lush, tight, deep, punchy bass that is well controlled. But like they say bigger is always better.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #843 of 1,522
Yes and latest mod of dampening the inside produces flatter bass and clearer mids and slightly more treble.
Best mod yet. Cleaner bass less bloom on taped ports!

Jan 15, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #844 of 1,522
In my search for the best material for dampening behind the driver I "stumbled" upon this lightweight, flat, ultra absorbant material, the holy grail of padding material that can be found secretly in evey household! ..

Look how nice :

The name of this space age material is caled "always" ... you can ask any woman, they will know! Lol
Update:
I dampened further around the driver area..
I used black cloth tape but U can use other material:

I then covered with ducttape:

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #846 of 1,522
Maxx, 
   So your only putting the black cloth elec. tape around the edge of the driver and then regular duct tape over the rest of the plastic surface surrounding the driver? Is there a specific rationale for that approach? Also, I'm wondering about things like heat build-up in the drivers when we start adding so much extraneous material. Any cause for concern? TIA

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #847 of 1,522
The rational is that the black cloth tape squeezes easier into the groove surrounding the driver.
The duct tape seals it all in.
No concern about heat in headphone drivers.
Also it is known for drivers to have material behind most all of them.
The mod decrease housing resonances and absorbs any internal reflected sound waves.
So it essentially clears up the sound.
The only trade off of adding extra material is that loose extra flabby bass it also tightened and lessened.
So you have a less bassy but still deep bass

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #848 of 1,522
Quote:
The rational is that the black cloth tape squeezes easier into the groove surrounding the driver.
The duct tape seals it all in.
No concern about heat in headphone drivers.
Also it is known for drivers to have material behind most all of them.
The mod decrease housing resonances and absorbs any internal reflected sound waves.
So it essentially clears up the sound.
The only trade off of adding extra material is that loose extra flabby bass it also tightened and lessened.
So you have a less bassy but still deep bass

+1  
atsmile.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #849 of 1,522
I placed Silverstone acoustic foam against the inside of the housing wall.
I tried this with taping the bass ports, but I didn't like what that did to the overall sound. 
I filled up the inside of the stock pads because I didn't have any Q-Tips.

Pleasantly surprised. It really removed the boominess from the bass. They're still tilted toward the bass, but not nearly as much. These have a really pleasant tonality and sound pretty good. The bass is definitely not articulate, though, even after mods, but I wouldn't expect it to be detailed when it's a $25 headphone. These guys have become my portable headphones of choice. 

Edit: I just realized what headphones they remind me off -- it's like they're a mini-D2000. The D2000 had a bit more of a V-curve compared to my post-mod HA-S400, but the tonality is similar.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #850 of 1,522
Quote:
I placed Silverstone acoustic foam against the inside of the housing wall.
I tried this with taping the bass ports, but I didn't like what that did to the overall sound. 

As I said in my earlier post #832, I didn't like filling up the inner cavity. Just put tape on the inside (what's best would be a layer of electrical on top of a layer of duct) and a very light, thin cloth to absorb the backwave.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #851 of 1,522
Quote:

As I said in my earlier post #832, I didn't like filling up the inner cavity. Just put tape on the inside (what's best would be a layer of electrical on top of a layer of duct) and a very light, thin cloth to absorb the backwave.

I definitely took offence to the mids when I had both the acoustic foam and the duct tape ear-side part of the plastic going. Have you tried it without having that part going?

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #853 of 1,522
BEST MOD EVER ALERT:

Spend more $ and get a better set of cans, Problem solved!!!

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #854 of 1,522
Jan 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #855 of 1,522
Quote:
This whole 'modding' is getting out of hand imo. Some 'noobs' who think they can improve over a pro audio company, getting 'OMGFWTF hOOge' changes. Pad swap, sure, I get it. Most of these 'mods' only contribute to a placebo effect.

Sfwalcer only gets "hooge" bass, and he loves it! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back