The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Jan 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #856 of 1,522
Quote:
OMG!
Thats the best mod EVER!
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL, Told ya!!!  Try it, it works!!!

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #857 of 1,522
Quote:
This whole 'modding' is getting out of hand imo. Some 'noobs' who think they can improve over a pro audio company, getting 'OMGFWTF hOOge' changes. Pad swap, sure, I get it. Most of these 'mods' only contribute to a placebo effect.

It's put together with thin, cheap plastic which resonates when you listen to it. I bought them because my budget is limited. I can't afford to buy 300-600-1000-2000 headphones or even a bunch of cheap headphones. I work a low paying job which takes about 4 hours of work to buy these things. These set of phones were super highly recommended and when I bought them, they were completely unlistenable. I took an old sock and a few pennies worth of tape lying around and made them so I can actually listen to them.

Do an experiment. Buy two of them, (of course YOU can afford to do this!) do my mods http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112485.60 Then leave a room and have someone put the two phones down and then listen to both of them. I GUARANTEE that even YOU can hear the difference. The louder you do, the more noticeable it will be.

Look, the speaker rapidly goes back and forth and it's attached to the plastic holder piece. It vibrates and makes it's own sound. You can get the same effect if you put a subwoofer on a suspended wood floor. When listening to one, have someone lift it one inch/2 cms off the floor. You WILL hear a difference. Standard physics.

But, yes, I think Maxx is getting out of hand! 
dt880smile.png

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #858 of 1,522
This whole 'modding' is getting out of hand imo. Some 'noobs' who think they can improve over a pro audio company, getting 'OMGFWTF hOOge' changes. Pad swap, sure, I get it. Most of these 'mods' only contribute to a placebo effect.

Well of course we can make it better! It is only a $25 can.
While I agree none of this needs to be done, you should try it before you knock it.
I also understand the placibo effect,
But that does not apply here.
I don't need to EQ these at all anymore like in my past posts.
I wouldn't do this to a better can and why let the s500 thread have all the fun? Ha

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #859 of 1,522
Quote:

I definitely took offence to the mids when I had both the acoustic foam and the duct tape ear-side part of the plastic going. Have you tried it without having that part going?

"The duct tape ear-side part of the plastic"

You mean this?

No I haven't. The midrange is too recessed and I want to hear them - but not too much because it really isn't that good. After all, they're only $27 hp's!

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #860 of 1,522
Hey, does anyone know aprox. how long it takes to get stuff from China? Ordered the Ele DAC and the HM5 pads a week ago and wondered when I should start shoveling the snow off my steps so the delivery guy can get to my door without killing himself. I'm spoiled by Amazon Prime and not used to waiting and not having tracking info. TIA

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #861 of 1,522
Hey any of you guys have any " Extra pads" you might wanna part with,  I'll give ya some Cash or something?  Really prefer Velour 70mm...  I think the Akg leathers might be too big, even tho they are only $10 shipped off ebay. I didn't see any AT velours, where'd you score those?

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #862 of 1,522
I agree that the best mod is buying a better can BUT it's so much more fun (imo) to get a bargain phone that sounds great and tweak it to make it sound even better. If I can get 90% of the sound of a 500 dollar headphone by modding a 25 buck can I am much happier than spending the extra 475 to get that extra 10%. It's kinda like cars. I have a Suby WRX and my friend has a Porsche. His cost about 60 grand more than my car. It's not twice as fast, twice as reliable, twice (or more) anything (except expensive) more than mine. And guess what? I get more positive comments from the younger crowd (yeah hot young girls
wink_face.gif
) than he does. Really pisses him off too. LOL

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #863 of 1,522
Quote:
I agree that the best mod is buying a better can BUT it's so much more fun (imo) to get a bargain phone that sounds great and tweak it to make it sound even better. If I can get 90% of the sound of a 500 dollar headphone by modding a 25 buck can I am much happier than spending the extra 475 to get that extra 10%. It's kinda like cars. I have a Suby WRX and my friend has a Porsche. His cost about 60 grand more than my car. It's not twice as fast, twice as reliable, twice (or more) anything (except expensive) more than mine. And guess what? I get more positive comments from the younger crowd (yeah hot young girls
wink_face.gif
) than he does. Really pisses him off too. LOL

I do ok myself
wink_face.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #864 of 1,522
Quote:

This is a perfect example of "I wouldn't knock it until i try it." Though i have modded these S400s to an extent, and believe me it is not a placebo effect, i find the S500s much more receptive to mods and sound tuning. That is why the S500s got so much more love than these S400s. I would have tried the new modd everyone seems to be going on about but i am lazy as hell and it looks like a lot of work opening the drivers up and using all that damn tape!!! O.O
Plus my modded S500s sounds so damn godly, these S400s can't even touch it. I want a different sound siggy from my S400s, hence i am somewhat hesitant to do this modd to make these S400s sound "closer" to my S500s.
Quote:

Sfwalcer only gets "hooge" bass, and he loves it! 
biggrin.gif

Hey hey, keep the mudslinging clean!!!! It's not just the BASS, you know what else I like  OO big as well???
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Well of course we can make it better! It is only a $25 can.
While I agree none of this needs to be done, you should try it before you knock it.
I also understand the placibo effect,
But that does not apply here.
I don't need to EQ these at all anymore like in my past posts.
I wouldn't do this to a better can and why let the s500 thread have all the fun? Ha

Someone is jelly!
tongue_smile.gif
+ 1 everything you said.

Quote:
Hey, does anyone know aprox. how long it takes to get stuff from China? Ordered the Ele DAC and the HM5 pads a week ago and wondered when I should start shoveling the snow off my steps so the delivery guy can get to my door without killing himself. I'm spoiled by Amazon Prime and not used to waiting and not having tracking info. TIA

LoL, lets just say don't hold your breath it's gonna be a longgggggggggggggggggggg minute, esp that ELE dac, my HM5 pads was shipped from Singapore for some reason.
confused_face_2.gif
  Took like a month as well. haha

edit: @ that placebo effect thing, tell that to cute, our mad modder who sold all his $$$s gear cuz he gets better sound outta these modded S500/S400s with that HM5 pads and rewiring.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #867 of 1,522
Quote:
LoL, i am trying to not get banned here, cute you evil moddster!!! But I can PM you some if you like.
tongue_smile.gif

edit: i know what you are trying to do, and I AM ON TO YOUR LIL' EVIL SCHEMES.
cool.gif

I still have noooo idea what you are talking about!  I was talking about big hooge b...... and somehow you try to change the subject.....post pictures below.....please, so I know what you are talking about!   
evil_smiley.gif
    You can modd the pictures if you really have to....lol!

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #868 of 1,522
Quote:

I still have noooo idea what you are talking about!  I was talking about big hooge b...... and somehow you try to change the subject.....post pictures below.....please, so I know what you are talking about!   
evil_smiley.gif
    You can modd the pictures if you really have to....lol!

I'll do it if you promised to sell or give me one of your homemade reverse L and R channel adapters for cheap.
biggrin.gif

edit: and i promise not to modd those pics if you agree! You can't troll me cute, cuz i am Da "Master Troll" boi!!!

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #869 of 1,522
Quote:
I would have tried the new modd everyone seems to be going on about but i am lazy as hell and it looks like a lot of work opening the drivers up and using all that damn tape!!! O.O

It took me about 30 minutes with duct tape which was a b**ch for me to cut with small scissors and took much of my time. If you use electrical tape, it'll be easy.
Just pull the pads -

Undo 3 screws and pull the plastic piece that holds the speaker.

Put some tape in the big center part with a thin piece of cloth and on the front and back of the piece that holds the speaker.

(This photo doesn't have a piece of cloth there.)

Line up the three screw holes with the knot in the groove and put the pads back on.

For me, it literally makes the difference between a completely unlistenable hp to a good one.

(Sorry for any repetition.
deadhorse.gif
)

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #870 of 1,522
^ alright merci your amazing pics/ tutorial is so convincing i am gonna have to try it then, gonna need to fine/ buy me some tapes. Will report back.............................soon.
ph34r.gif

@cute
see i already know you don't have the BASSs to troll. haha C'mon man let's make a deal and i'll make it worth your while. I promise that it is gonna make your day. It's that epic. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back