The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Jan 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #811 of 1,522
Quote:
More listening I am now hesitant to touch this setup as it is killing on level or greater than in clarity than my two most detailed cans so far, the k167 & Monster DNA..
Yes I said monster as their DNA model is cheating as it sounds like a very low impedance model where lowest details even hum is herd wich normal cans do not display.
Although I am always impressed and swayed by any headphones bass,,
This current setup on the s400 is most realistic and still satisfying in bass, no bloat whatsoever with stock pads.

sorry maxx, so many mods posted, could you explain us what mod you did?
there should be a mod guide on the first page,  like Mod1.. Mod1.. Combo Mod etc
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #812 of 1,522
hi,

I've read a bit of this thread - not much. I've bought these and I didn't think of them much - recessed mids and highs and much too boomy. After reading two of the mods here, I did my own. Here's what I did and why.

Third post down - same handle.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112485.60

Really, really like them - not perfect but for this price, I'm not complaining!

EXCELLENT! !
This is the single most important mod you must do with these cans.
sorry maxx, so many mods posted, could you explain us what mod you did?
there should be a mod guide on the first page,  like Mod1.. Mod1.. Combo Mod etc :tongue_smile:
The mod linked above combined with q-tip mod creates the ultimate setup and I am assuming that the new sound signature approaches the s500.
Simply amazing.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #813 of 1,522
Just ordered my pair yesterday, should be here tomorrow night. I plan on doing some mods. Could someone explain/link the Q tip mod to me? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Also, is there anywhere I can buy some of the recommended pads in the U.S. for a decent price?

Thank you very much, I'll give my impressions later after some burn in.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #815 of 1,522
Quote:
after reading this thread, I'm wonder if the HA-M750s are CNT or not, and if so are they any better than the s400?

The m750s for sure are not CNT, but the "new" JCV HA-S770s are. The 2 people that has gotten the S770s so far are not too impressed with it. There is a thread on it, check it out.  

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #817 of 1,522
Quote:
thanks for clearing this up, I might trying out these s400 then

If you live in the states they are on sale for $20. Not sure about shipping rates though.

http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?ProductID=36579324

But you get free shipping from them after a certain amount, i got 3 pairs from them when it was ~$23.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #818 of 1,522
Quote:
OOOOOwwwwuuuhhhh  MMMMMyyyeeeee GGGGaaaaawwwwwddddd!!!!.. UUU RRRR AAA GENIOUS!!!  :) :) :)

atsmile.gif
    Gosh, thanks. That made my day!

But of course, I don't take full credit. The first principle that I learned was from Frank Van Alstine (AVA stereo) who said that the cabinet/support of the speaker should NOT vibrate. If it's making its own sound - that's not good. And here, of course, whoever came up with the tp mod clued me into what else needed to be done.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #820 of 1,522
Quote:

atsmile.gif
    Gosh, thanks. That made my day!

But of course, I don't take full credit. The first principle that I learned was from Frank Van Alstine (AVA stereo) who said that the cabinet/support of the speaker should NOT vibrate. If it's making its own sound - that's not good. And here, of course, whoever came up with the tp mod clued me into what else needed to be done.

When I get another pair, I'll be able to contribute some. I found quite a bit out from the T50RP thread, and some other nifty here's and there's. This time, gonna try a modded open pair to surpass the DT1350 :wink:

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #821 of 1,522
Quote:

When I get another pair, I'll be able to contribute some. I found quite a bit out from the T50RP thread, and some other nifty here's and there's. This time, gonna try a modded open pair to surpass the DT1350 :wink:

Oh sorry Moss forgot to update you on my S400 trade with doc. Sadly doc's co-worker got to audition it 1st and fell in love with it, so he sold it to her instead. My superlux trade for his S400s never materialized in the end. :frowning2: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back