The NEW JVC HA-S400. Affordable Carbon Nanotube cans for the masses.
Jan 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #796 of 1,522
Quote:
hi,

I've read a bit of this thread - not much. I've bought these and I didn't think of them much - recessed mids and highs and much too boomy. After reading two of the mods here, I did my own. Here's what I did and why.

Third post down - same handle.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=112485.60

Really, really like them - not perfect but for this price, I'm not complaining!

thanks!  i am gonna try that one.

"washing machine mod"?  what mod is that??

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #797 of 1,522
Quote:

thanks!  i am gonna try that one.

"washing machine mod"?  what mod is that??

Lets see if i got all my mods memorized correctly, maybe the "washing machine mod" is to throw your stock pads into your wash to soften the pads for better comfort??? Or maybe it's just tossing your entire S400s into your dirty laundry and the outcome is that you're gonna get tons of "dirty" bass as the result.
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #801 of 1,522
Quote:

Yup !   ....and he's back with a vengence.
wink_face.gif

haha, i know you'll got my back. I just got my HM5 pads and they sound glorious with some of my pad combos with the S500s, gonna try them out on these lovely S400s later on. Lets get this CNT party back on again!
.........................lets get it on!!!

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #804 of 1,522
Stock, I also found the mids and highs very recessed. With the mods, it's a much more balanced hp - though still a bit too heavy in the mid-bass region. (I'm talking non-equalized. One person suggested downloading a free Denon equalizer app.)

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #808 of 1,522
Quote:
Been eyeing the hm5 pads for some time, hopefully will become as much if not more comfortable than the htf600's.

Stop eyeing and get buying. I am gonna buy another couple of sets. LMAO Haven't tried it on the S400s yet, but it's pure comfort and really interesting change in sound for my S500s. To the next level/ audiophile level i would say with these HM5 pads. DO IT! DO IT NOW!!! LoL

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #809 of 1,522
Quote:
Stock, I also found the mids and highs very recessed. With the mods, it's a much more balanced hp - though still a bit too heavy in the mid-bass region. (I'm talking non-equalized. One person suggested downloading a free Denon equalizer app.)

OOOOOwwwwuuuhhhh  MMMMMyyyeeeee GGGGaaaaawwwwwddddd!!!!.. UUU RRRR AAA GENIOUS!!!  :) :) :)
what the hell happen to these things!
I followed your instructs and then put the Q-Tip mod and these headphones are totally sweeeeeeeeeeettttt!!
OMG it is soo bright overall.
Wow where did all this treble come from!!
The boominess is gone on stock pads!

BUT much of the bass also went away, Because I went overboard as usual..
Yet its still there, deep and clear..
Instead of duct tape I used electrical cloth tape all over inside, 
the overboard part I did was placing also over  inside driver as well,
then rolled a bundle of it for the middle,
Then for the surface of the driver I used layer upon layer of paper tape to get thickness of a few layer duct tape.
I figure paper would be more natural then duct tape.
Knocking on the the driver housings feel as solid as rocks lol.
The sound is totally different.
No longer "mid-centric"
more of a V shape sound.
very very clear.
slightly over bright so will re-open to take out the tape on inside driver.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #810 of 1,522
More listening I am now hesitant to touch this setup as it is killing on level or greater than in clarity than my two most detailed cans so far, the k167 & Monster DNA..
Yes I said monster as their DNA model is cheating as it sounds like a very low impedance model where lowest details even hum is herd wich normal cans do not display.

Although I am always impressed and swayed by any headphones bass,,
This current setup on the s400 is most realistic and still satisfying in bass, no bloat whatsoever with stock pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back