The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Nov 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #7,546 of 9,165
Hi Guys,
   I am currently pairing AK100 with Sennheiser IE800's. The impedance of these IEM's is 16ohms. I intend to use AK100 with only these IEM's. Would really be interested in knowing if I should be sticking to AK100 or get the RWAK100? Would also be interested to know if anyone has paired these IEM's with both the DAP's (AK100 and RWAK100).
What are the observations please?

Thanks

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #7,547 of 9,165
  Hi Guys,
   I am currently pairing AK100 with Sennheiser IE800's. The impedance of these IEM's is 16ohms. I intend to use AK100 with only these IEM's. Would really be interested in knowing if I should be sticking to AK100 or get the RWAK100? Would also be interested to know if anyone has paired these IEM's with both the DAP's (AK100 and RWAK100).

Thanks

I don't have the RWAK100 anymore and wasn't able to compare it directly to the stock AK100 (bought it directly from Vinnie) but from memory the IE800's were a great pairing with the RWAK100.  Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to do the comparison, so my comment may not be useful.  But if you do go for the mod, I think you'll be happy with the result.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #7,548 of 9,165
  Hi Guys,

Thanks

I have the opposite experience.  I have the stock AK, but not RW.   Since the IE800 are dynamic headphones, the high output impedance would not have much impact on its signature sound.   The difference then will be mainly the difference in the sound signatures of the DAP.   The stock AK gives a clean smooth sound.  My understanding of the RW is that it is more dynamic, but you might lose some of the precision and cleanness.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #7,549 of 9,165
The RWA mod doesn't alter the sound characteristics of the player in any way at all. It may allow more of the player's own sound out because the signal path is cleaner, but having owned both I can confirm that they sound the same. Any perceived change to dynamics etc. would be a matter of increased volume output due to the lower output resistance.

As for impedance matching. There are 2 things to consider which will always occur, but may work for or against the ear/headphones:

• Any fluctuation in the earphone's impedance across it's frequency response will cause changes to the frequency response (sound signature) of the earphones if it is not significantly higher impedance to begin with. Generally these fluctuations come from multi-driver implementations which is why dynamic drivers like the IE800s fair better in this department and multi-BA earphones like the SE535 often do not fair so well. It's worth noting though that there are some dynamic drivers that do not have flat impedance.

• Every type of driver that I'm aware of will be affected by the damping factor of output impedance vs ear/headphone impedance. This is where the 1/8th rule is important to consider. If the difference between the output impedance of the device and the impedance of the earphone is significantly less than a factor of 8 then the player will not exert sufficient control over the driver to reach its peak performance. I.e. for the 22ohm output of the AK100 this means an earphone needs to be close to 176 ohm (22 x 8) or higher. The mechanical damping of the earphone (how stiff the driver mechanism is) can offset this, but it is best to maintain a reasonable degree of electrical damping as well. A lack of damping has very predictable sound results because it always creates looser movements of the driver and therefore more bass, and less detail and clarity in the bass, etc. Of course, this can benefit some overly analytical, bass-shy earphones.

Because of the impacts of personal taste which might prefer a modified frequency response and specific designs which might provide extra mechanical damping, it's impossible to know exactly what will / won't sound good, but these impedance factors are always at play - it's just the earphone-specific results that vary and our perceptions of these results for better or worse.

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #7,550 of 9,165
Thanks for the reply. So given that the input impedance of IE800's is 16ohms which is much lower than 176ohms (1/8th) rule, I see that I have the following options

1. Stock AK100 -- IE800
2. RWAK100 -- IE800
3. Stock AK100 --Headphone Amp -- IE800

I mainly use the AK100 --IE800 while at work and during commute. At home i have Burson HA160 with HD800 combination.
I am not very much inclined in having the mod done for AK100, but if  I am making a compromise in terms of audio clarity with the AK100-IE800, then would be willing to make some modifications (additional $$).

Appreciate your inputs.

Nov 10, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #7,551 of 9,165
If you're happy with the sound of the AK100 and IE800 then no need for an amp or mod. Sometimes it can improve the sound. My previous post was making the point that no driver types are completely immune to impedance issues, but it's not always a detrimental result - if you like the sound that's all that matters.

Nov 10, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #7,552 of 9,165
It is about the sound. I have the AK100 and listen with Westone 4R's. The sound is superb. I mostly pair the AK with an ALO Internarional (sound is just fantastic with that combo and 4R's) - but I'd be quite happy with no amp and AK/Westones.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #7,554 of 9,165
This shuffle failure thing is annoying me so much it's almost a deal breaker right now.....thinking if selling it.....does rwa imod Play flac?

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #7,558 of 9,165

Users who are viewing this thread

Back