The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Nov 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #7,517 of 9,165
  M3U playlist support and VBR file troubleshooting are 2 of the biggest features and fixes are currently still in progress of updating. Still seems SD card stabilization is an issue and our engineers are well aware of that issue as well.

We apologize that it's taking so long, but please bear with us as we continue to work out bugs and kinks in our software. Thanks everyone for your patience!

Great! Good to have an iriver rep here.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #7,518 of 9,165
  Channel Classics has a few DSD samples to use with the AK100. http://www.channelclassics.com/try-it-now

Thanks for the link.

On another subjet JmoonAK, what are the news about the successor to the AK120 mentioned in the interview (bigger screen, around 1500 to 1600 dollar...)

?  when can we expect to read the first infos about it ? 

Thanks in advance

PS: ... don't worry, your secrets are safe with us ! :)

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #7,519 of 9,165
Hey Guys, 

i'm the happy owner of the ak100 for about 3 months, and i love the sound, really i do. 

But please, is it just me or is the shuffle function really crappy? (yes i know, it's not a ipod shuffle)....

But seriously.....i've got the same song playing all over again......EVERY time....

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #7,520 of 9,165
Thanks for the link.

On another subjet JmoonAK, what are the news about the successor to the AK120 mentioned in the interview (bigger screen, around 1500 to 1600 dollar...)

Thanks in advance

iRiver, how about bringing prices a bit down? 1600 for DAP is way too much, after all DAPs are prone to dropping, being stolen and else... i do not want to cry if my DAP walks away for any of these reasons.

seriously wait for ak130 and perhaps skip ak120 plans

Nov 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #7,521 of 9,165
  Channel Classics has a few DSD samples to use with the AK100. http://www.channelclassics.com/try-it-now

Thanks for the link, worked fine (except the 5.1 channel DSD, but that's OK : ) Now to hear a difference, period, not to mention a clearly audible improvement... But it's great to have the option. And generally, that iRiver seems to be committed to improving their players after a rocky start.

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #7,522 of 9,165
Sadly there seems to be a kind of problem after installing the new firmware. I just transferred a new downloaded to the AK100. While scanning the library it halts with the bar at about 80%. The new number of songs is correct, but it is not able to finish the scanning ...

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #7,523 of 9,165

I wanted to throw in this quote to:

I am having an intermittent issue I was wondering if others are experiencing.  I have 2 64 GB cards in the player and find that every third time or so that I turn on the unit, one of the cards will not show in the folder view, and the resultant music on the card is not available.  I will turn the player off and then on again and usually the card will show back up.  I switched the cards in the slots and it appears that it is the slot that is closer to the front of the AK100 that sometimes does not show, rather than the card being defective.  Do any of you have a similar issue?  The cards are filled with music so don't know if that is an issue.

I just got my player and am experiencing something similar --- I sent this note to support today:

I have two micro cards installed -- one is a 32G Sandisk Ultra -- the other is a 64G Sandisk Ultra. (I just bought another 64G Sandisk Ultra and will use that once it arrives).
I have about 1000 songs loaded on the player (main memory and two cards). Most of the music is Apple Lossless files. There are a few FLAC - and a few AAC files. I simply dragged the folders on to the cards (or main memory) once I plugged the player in to my Mac.
The problems I'm experiencing:
- When I turn on the until, there are times when the cards are not visible on the player - and the songs are not available. When this first happened, I just tried to rescan manually - but that didn't work. I had to turn the system off and turn it back on. The cards would show back up, but I'd have to manually rescan to make all the songs available (I don't use AUTO scan).  I've used the player maybe 12 times - this issue has happened about 4 times.
- Two or three times now I've been listening to a song, and then want to switch to another album or song, and I'll select the song, but then the play will give me an error that the song is not available. I'll go to System Information and find that both cards are not showing again. I have to go through the process of turning the player off and back on -- and then rescanning.
- The player froze once just after selecting a new song. The song was on the screen but didn't start to play. It froze for about 10 seconds and then I got an error again saying the song wasn't available. I had to go through the shutdown process again.
I formatted the cards properly before using them on my Mac.

All of this happened using firmware 2.2 -- and then today I uploaded and installed 2.3 - I still experienced the issues described.

I'm perplexed as to what the issue is. The next time it happens, I think I'll pop the card out and back in while the player is still on. Maybe the cards aren't seated right. I find it frustrating to have to go through this process.

If anyone has had this issue -- and has a resolution, I'm all ears.

I still haven't heard from support --- but the new 64G showed up today - so I formatted it - and then did a clean install of music. I did get an email from Charles at HeadFone Shop here in Toronto (great guy -- where I buy all my head gear) -- he chatted with another AK100 user who said they experienced something similar -- it turned out to be 192/24 ALAC files -- once he converted them to FLAC he didn't have the issue any longer. I had ONE CD of 192/24 ALAC songs -- so I didn't load them back on (have to figure out how to convert them to FLAC from ALAC - I think XLD will do the trick, if I can figure out how to use it properly). I've used my player all day without a hitch. I've probably turned it off 6 or 7 times - no issue -- the cards are still visible - no freezing. I'll keep an eye on it.

If AK support is reading this -- is there something to 192/24 ALAC files causing issues?

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #7,524 of 9,165

I still haven't heard from support --- but the new 64G showed up today - so I formatted it - and then did a clean install of music. I did get an email from Charles at HeadFone Shop here in Toronto (great guy -- where I buy all my head gear) -- he chatted with another AK100 user who said they experienced something similar -- it turned out to be 192/24 ALAC files -- once he converted them to FLAC he didn't have the issue any longer. I had ONE CD of 192/24 ALAC songs -- so I didn't load them back on (have to figure out how to convert them to FLAC from ALAC - I think XLD will do the trick, if I can figure out how to use it properly). I've used my player all day without a hitch. I've probably turned it off 6 or 7 times - no issue -- the cards are still visible - no freezing. I'll keep an eye on it.

If AK support is reading this -- is there something to 192/24 ALAC files causing issues?

I just tried this myself with an AK100 (v2.30) + 24/192 ALAC (m4a) version of Norah Jones' Don't Know Why (converted from FLAC to ALAC using foobar2000) loaded onto a 32GB Sandisk MicroSD card. Scanned the library and worked perfectly both with the ALAC file loaded on to the internal memory and MicroSD.

Could you shoot me a PM? I'd like to help get issues like these sorted. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #7,525 of 9,165
  Hey Guys, 

i'm the happy owner of the ak100 for about 3 months, and i love the sound, really i do. 

But please, is it just me or is the shuffle function really crappy? (yes i know, it's not a ipod shuffle)....

But seriously.....i've got the same song playing all over again......EVERY time....

Are you sure it's on shuffle mode and not repeat? Be sure to hit the the "->" button on the playback option screen (press the hexagon cog button on the playback screen) to toggle shuffle mode. If you see a rectangular box icon in the top left hand corner of the playback screen, it is currently in repeat mode.

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #7,527 of 9,165
Thanks for the link.

Thanks in advance

+1
I agree, the prices are getting quite out of hand :frowning2:
Would be a nice service if you guys offered a trade back in plus top up feature for the next upgrade.

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #7,528 of 9,165
  Are you sure it's on shuffle mode and not repeat? Be sure to hit the the "->" button on the playback option screen (press the hexagon cog button on the playback screen) to toggle shuffle mode. If you see a rectangular box icon in the top left hand corner of the playback screen, it is currently in repeat mode.

yes it is indeed in shuffle mode, i misspelled my post, it doesn't play the same song, but the same songs almost every  time

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #7,529 of 9,165
yes it is indeed in shuffle mode, i misspelled my post, it doesn't play the same song, but the same songs almost every  time

How many songs does it play before repeating the same songs?
And what version firmware is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back