The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Nov 7, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #7,531 of 9,165
I have the same experience with you.. It seems that ak100 can only shuffle a limited number of songs say 40,and if I were to listen for hours, I can only listen to these 40 songs despite having 1000 songs. To break this cycle, I've to manually pick another song, so that there's another new 40 songs in the shuffle list which isn't quite smart

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #7,532 of 9,165
Regarding the shuffle thing, I've found that to avoid hearing the same songs each time, I need to manually open the songs list and manually select a new track. This seems to repopulate the playlist with new tracks and therefore not repeat everything I heard last session.

iRiver, it would be nice to have this shuffle glitch fixed in future FW.

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #7,533 of 9,165
  Regarding the shuffle thing, I've found that to avoid hearing the same songs each time, I need to manually open the songs list and manually select a new track. This seems to repopulate the playlist with new tracks and therefore not repeat everything I heard last session.

iRiver, it would be nice to have this shuffle glitch fixed in future FW.

+10000

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #7,534 of 9,165
I'm having the same shuffle issue also. Same 30 songs.. how hard is it to choose a random number????

Also, please fix the right to left languages issue.. this is also so so basic.

Nov 8, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #7,535 of 9,165
Its actually quite difficult for a computer to generate a random number.

http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~skiena/jaialai/excerpts/node7.html

:)

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #7,536 of 9,165
I have the same experience with you.. It seems that ak100 can only shuffle a limited number of songs say 40,and if I were to listen for hours, I can only listen to these 40 songs despite having 1000 songs. To break this cycle, I've to manually pick another song, so that there's another new 40 songs in the shuffle list which isn't quite smart

Same issues with me, very annoying as I sit at work for 8 hours with my music on random playing through my whole library. Keep getting repeated songs.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #7,537 of 9,165
Hi - I know it has been discussed somewhere here before but can't find it.

My stock AK100 (FW2.20) now quite often starts "jumping" while playing FLACS. This sounds as if it has got a "hickup", every half minute or so it loses a beat and "jumps".
Also it plays the FLAC-file but at some point suddenly stops and says that it cannot play the format.
It also refuses to play APE files - although it should.

I have 2 64 GB SanDisk cards inserted and I'd say that about 90 - 95% of the total storage (internal memory and SDXC -cards) is being used.

Has anybody had the same problems (I believe so) and does anybody have an idea what to do about it?

Thanks Gerhard

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #7,538 of 9,165

I have 2 64 GB SanDisk cards inserted and I'd say that about 90 - 95% of the total storage (internal memory and SDXC -cards) is being used.

Has anybody had the same problems (I believe so) and does anybody have an idea what to do about it?

Thanks Gerhard

Mount your AK or the cards individually to your computer and then empty the trash.    You probably have files marked for deletion but not actually deleted.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #7,539 of 9,165
Thx - but I had emptied the trash before I uploaded new files.

Sometimes I get the feeling as if there could be a "buffer overrun"  as this only happens with HiRes files - havent encountered it yet with 16-44files , only 24-96 or 24-192

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #7,541 of 9,165
hi guys, quick question. did ANYONE of you noticed AK100 becoming slower responding to browsing and else after upgrading FW from 2.00 to 2.30? i somehow feel the screen command responsiveness became a tad slower after i did. wonder if i have to downgrade back to 2.00? 
frown.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #7,542 of 9,165
  hi guys, quick question. did ANYONE of you noticed AK100 becoming slower responding to browsing and else after upgrading FW from 2.00 to 2.30? i somehow feel the screen command responsiveness became a tad slower after i did. wonder if i have to downgrade back to 2.00? 
frown.gif

it is much more responsive and smoother... how cant it be slower than 2.00??!?!!

2.30 is a step up from 2.20 imo.

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #7,543 of 9,165

it is much more responsive and smoother... how cant it be slower than 2.00??!?!!

2.30 is a step up from 2.20 imo.

hm... i tell what i feel like about it when going up from 2.00 to 2.30, not from 2.20, will check again. ...

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #7,544 of 9,165
I would like to add some extra observations regarding the sound quality of the AK100 through it's headphone out. I have not tried amping it; I refuse to, I bought it with the aim of having an elegant user friendly superb sounding dap that would play anything I threw at it. So I refused to be duscouraged by the discussioons regarding the poor matching ability of this device.
I have good news in that I have found 3 of my iems that sound simply breathtaking through the AK100 and I would value other headfiers views on this.
I have already stated that the klipsch x10i performs through the AK100. I didn't even like the sound of the klipsch and had pretty much given it away to my girlfriend. The AK100 brings out the very best in the x10i. Anyone know why this might be? It cannot compete with the westone 4 through any other device and does not have the separation of the etymotic er4 through anything else. But through the AK100 it makes these iems seem lacking. You can pick these up so cheaply these days. There's a lot of wind noise and some microphonics but listening to Fleetwood Mac's Mirage album on 320 kps mp3 in the wind and rain today was an incredible experience.
I bought sennheiser ie800 iems specifically for the AK100 because I knew from listening to them through the DAP they'd be good. Obviously, they're expensive but the IE800's are as good as it gets I would say for them.
The other iem I was shocked to hear sounding so good was an old westone um2 I've pretty much given away too. That was a perfect over the fit and had bass separation and a great treble and was very sensitive having to be turned way down to save my ears. Not quite as good as the klipsch but was brilliant and is almost completely noise cancelling and has little or no microphonics.
Hope this helps and can others tell us what they've found to?
Let's see how many of us can be happy without modifying and amping this beautiful device.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #7,545 of 9,165
frown.gif

Gintaras,

Are you sure it's not just your finger that has become worn-out/tired from too much browsing??
I recommend finger aerobics to tone-up your stroking power...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back