The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Aug 11, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #6,871 of 9,165
...,I love my AK100 and the RWAK100-s even better...I will contact iRiver and try to get it sorted out, but for now I have it working again and blissful music will pump through my LCD-3s again.  Thank GOD.  I was having anxiety there for a while.

Dear Justin, i have à Rwak100 and I am considering upgrading it to Rwak100-S to drive my portable amp (TU-05 tube amp).

Can you tell me what amp you use With your RWAK100-S ?
Also, how can you use LCD3 directly out of the RWAK100-s that has no more volume contrôl ?
And finally How Will you score the sound improvement between Ak100 and RWAK100-s

Thanks

Aug 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #6,872 of 9,165
I use an ALO International for portable use. I cannot comment on the change from RWAK to RWAK-S because I upgraded directly from the stock AK to the S. The sound improvement is dramatic, more warm and open with lots of detail without sounding analytical at all...it's way better than the stock AK. Also, I couldn't stand the volume wheel it just made no sense to me to have it. I would rather have a pure source with a level line out, as I always use an amp. You can't run your headphones out of the rwak-s as you pointed out, no volume control. You must amp it, it's 2mV level (If I recall correctly). Where you really get some serious wow factor is when you plug it into a 2 channel system or your car as a source. That really showcases the power and beauty of the mod. If you have the RWAK-100s and a decent 2 channel amp and speakers, you have a complete system. If you are using LCD-2 or 3 or any high impedance cans, do the mod...you won't be disappointed. I was in love from the moment I heard it.

Justin

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #6,873 of 9,165
AK100 v AK100S

Note weight and density of of the sonic picture that the AK100S can portray.

Once you have these two aforementioned elements, the many more layers and texture of the music is exhibited........vocals has extra dimensions to them and you can hear clearly how a good vocalist manipulates their voice box...............

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #6,874 of 9,165
Quote:
I use an ALO International for portable use. I cannot comment on the change from RWAK to RWAK-S because I upgraded directly from the stock AK to the S. The sound improvement is dramatic, more warm and open with lots of detail without sounding analytical at all...it's way better than the stock AK. Also, I couldn't stand the volume wheel it just made no sense to me to have it. I would rather have a pure source with a level line out, as I always use an amp. You can't run your headphones out of the rwak-s as you pointed out, no volume control. You must amp it, it's 2mV level (If I recall correctly). Where you really get some serious wow factor is when you plug it into a 2 channel system or your car as a source. That really showcases the power and beauty of the mod. If you have the RWAK-100s and a decent 2 channel amp and speakers, you have a complete system. If you are using LCD-2 or 3 or any high impedance cans, do the mod...you won't be disappointed. I was in love from the moment I heard it.

Justin

I doubt there will be any difference going from AK to RWAK-s to RWAK to RWAK-s. The only thing that RWAK mod changes is the impedance(I think).

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #6,875 of 9,165
I doubt there will be any difference going from AK to RWAK-s to RWAK to RWAK-s. The only thing that RWAK mod changes is the impedance(I think).
That is not true, the RWAK100 bypasses thr resistor for output impedance reasons but also to get a purer signal to the HO. So the RWAK100 already improves from the ak100 significantly. So the upgrade from rwak100 to rwak100s is not the same as from stock ak. But it should still be dramatic IF you use a good external amp.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #6,876 of 9,165
That is not true, the RWAK100 bypasses thr resistor for output impedance reasons but also to get a purer signal to the HO. So the RWAK100 already improves from the ak100 significantly. So the upgrade from rwak100 to rwak100s is not the same as from stock ak. But it should still be dramatic IF you use a good external amp.

That is so very true. Even without a great amp, the difference when used as a source is markedly improved from stock AK to RWAK because of the improved chip. I can even tell in my stock car stereo which is less than resolving as a system. The mod, to me, makes a marked difference not just because of the bypassed resistor but also the upgraded DAC chip.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #6,877 of 9,165
Quote:
That is so very true. Even without a great amp, the difference when used as a source is markedly improved from stock AK to RWAK because of the improved chip. I can even tell in my stock car stereo which is less than resolving as a system. The mod, to me, makes a marked difference not just because of the bypassed resistor but also the upgraded DAC chip.

RWAK just bypasses the 22ohm resistors, not improve a chip. I think you are talking about RWAK100-S

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #6,878 of 9,165
Quote:

If that's the case, we should pay vinnie extra $250 to do RWAK and RWAK-S mod? Why wouldn't vinnie include that in the RWAK-S mod? Also, I've heard couple people saying that RWAK doesn't sound as smooth and clear as unmodded AK100. Can I hear some opinions on this?

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #6,879 of 9,165
If that's the case, we should pay vinnie extra $250 to do RWAK and RWAK-S mod? Why wouldn't vinnie include that in the RWAK-S mod? Also, I've heard couple people saying that RWAK doesn't sound as smooth and clear as unmodded AK100. Can I hear some opinions on this?

It is included in both mods...but....The RWAK itself is really best suited to IEMs and lower impedance HPs by removing the resistance in the headphone out jack but still retaining the volume knob for use as is sans amp. The S mod is for amped setups and dispenses with the volume knob. They have 2 distinct functions, hence both offerings.

Each upgrades the DAC chip. I noticed a remarkable difference between the stock AK and the S mod, and I had such quick turn around on the work that I heard them nearly back to back. No chance to A/B obviously, but without getting into gushing adjectives for the sound I can only report I feel the RWAK-S is clearly, at least to me, a significant improvement over the stock AK both with cans and especially as a source for a 2 channel system. The sound is warmer, soundstage more open, improves dynamics and more air in the highs/mids (esp vocals and strings) and def improved bass bloom and bass definition. No regrets. I feel as if the AK should have been made to the specifications of the mod in the first place. I have an iMod that is more user friendly for me on a Mac, but sound improves from imod to AK to RWAK in a notable and impressive way. Really, I wish I had both the RWAK and the RWAK-S, but financially that's not sensible at all. I feel the price is fair for the mods and worth every penny. Working with Vinnie was pleasant, great service and I have plans to upgrade some of my gear to RWA components. I would imagine if you had a RWAK and wanted to go the S route, he would work with you on price. That's the feeling I get from dealing with him FWIW. If you are on the fence, I say go for it.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #6,880 of 9,165
I agree and think that both the RWAK100 and RWAK100-s have their place.

I have the RWAK100 and can comfirm that it only improves the sound from the stock AK100. I personally haven't bothered with the RWAK100-S purely because portability (and therefore not needing an amp) is a priority for me. I am happy to sacrifice the sound improvement for the sake of a small, single item (i.e. not a stack) as my portable unit.

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #6,881 of 9,165
It is included in both mods...but....The RWAK itself is really best suited to IEMs and lower impedance HPs by removing the resistance in the headphone out jack but still retaining the volume knob for use as is sans amp. The S mod is for amped setups and dispenses with the volume knob. They have 2 distinct functions, hence both offerings.

Each upgrades the DAC chip. I noticed a remarkable difference between the stock AK and the S mod, and I had such quick turn around on the work that I heard them nearly back to back. No chance to A/B obviously, but without getting into gushing adjectives for the sound I can only report I feel the RWAK-S is clearly, at least to me, a significant improvement over the stock AK both with cans and especially as a source for a 2 channel system. The sound is warmer, soundstage more open, improves dynamics and more air in the highs/mids (esp vocals and strings) and def improved bass bloom and bass definition. No regrets. I feel as if the AK should have been made to the specifications of the mod in the first place. I have an iMod that is more user friendly for me on a Mac, but sound improves from imod to AK to RWAK in a notable and impressive way. Really, I wish I had both the RWAK and the RWAK-S, but financially that's not sensible at all. I feel the price is fair for the mods and worth every penny. Working with Vinnie was pleasant, great service and I have plans to upgrade some of my gear to RWA components. I would imagine if you had a RWAK and wanted to go the S route, he would work with you on price. That's the feeling I get from dealing with him FWIW. If you are on the fence, I say go for it.
The RWAK100 DOES NOT upgrade the DAC chip. Only the RWAK100-S does.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #6,882 of 9,165
Quote:

Correct, I have the RWAK100 and it get's the original chip.  Only the -S has the upgraded chip, and... loose the volume knob.

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #6,883 of 9,165
Quote:
AK100 v AK100S

Note weight and density of of the sonic picture that the AK100S can portray.

Once you have these two aforementioned elements, the many more layers and texture of the music is exhibited........vocals has extra dimensions to them and you can hear clearly how a good vocalist manipulates their voice box...............

that's what i call... good DAP... sounds interesting, curious what will be AK120 mod result :-D

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #6,885 of 9,165

Thanks for that. I thought the chip upgrade was in each of them, and should have gone back and read his site again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back