The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Feb 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #2,627 of 9,165
Quote:
isn't otg an Android thing?  I don;t think the AK100 runs Android - QED

OTG or USB On-The-Go is not exclusively for Android device only. 

OTG is a feature that allows USB devices such as digital audio players (DAP) to act as a master/host, allowing other USB devices such as a USB thumb drive or external USB HD to communicate with the host.

I believe iRiver has a pool of firmware/software engineers who can easily add this OTG features into the AK100. Just curious why they did not do it.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #2,628 of 9,165
Quote:
OTG or USB On-The-Go is not exclusively for Android device only. 

OTG is a feature that allows USB devices such as digital audio players (DAP) to act as a master/host, allowing other USB devices such as a USB thumb drive or external USB HD to communicate with the host.

I believe iRiver has a pool of firmware/software engineers who can easily add this OTG features into the AK100. Just curious why they did not do it.

Thanks for the skinny - I thought it was an Android thing, not a USB  thing - Portable USB drives are pretty small these days, and quite capacious as well.  

Cool r-to-r by the way, I have a Tascam 32  1/2 track machine, although it gets very little use, I like having it.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #2,630 of 9,165
It is also something that get added on the player , thus increasing cost (or decreasing profit) and its not exactly a demanded feature, you dont exactly see people demanding that they should be able to lug their 2tb hdd and connect it to their media player

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #2,632 of 9,165
Hi,

Newbie here getting into the hobby.  I ordered my RWAK100 this past Friday.  Will the RWAK100 drive my HD800's?  If not, what headphones and/or high end in ear monitors would you suggest?  Should I "line out" into an external portableamp?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

...and I thought my pseudo commercial wine making hobby was expensive!!
gs1000.gif

Regards,

Joe

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #2,633 of 9,165
If not, what headphones and/or high end in ear monitors would you suggest?  Should I "line out" into an external portableamp?

It is honestly a hard question to answer and will depend on alot of personal preferences, what you want to spend, what your main goal will be etc etc

The good thing is, the red wine version is alot more versatile when it comes to driving alot of different iems and cans without an amp needed in alot of cases.

I would suggest starting with what you have and progressing from there, you may be surprised at how competent the little guy can be.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #2,634 of 9,165
Quote:
Hi,

Newbie here getting into the hobby.  I ordered my RWAK100 this past Friday.  Will the RWAK100 drive my HD800's?  If not, what headphones and/or high end in ear monitors would you suggest?  Should I "line out" into an external portableamp?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

...and I thought my pseudo commercial wine making hobby was expensive!!
gs1000.gif

Regards,

Joe

it will produce music with hd800, but it certainly wont make it sings

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #2,635 of 9,165
Where and how much is the lowest price you can buy this mp3?

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #2,638 of 9,165
I have to make this little confession of mine - I absolutely love the pairing of the RWAK100 and the ER4P!

They are a pair made in heaven. The sound is so correct and coherent. No spike, no trough, no sibilance. Nothing is out of place. Best of all, details ooze out effortlessly.

The pairing won't satisfy basshead, those who demands warm/lush/full sound, nor those who wanted a wide and deep soundstage. The ER4P is a monitoring IEM with a neutral FR, flat soundstage with decent width. The RWAK100 is able to retain all the strengths of the ER4P and give it a very clean sound and black background. It's been quite a while since I have found such a lovely pairing in any portable setup.

I will await the arrival of my C4 before posting my impression of the RWAK100.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #2,639 of 9,165
Quote:
Looks like the AK100 may come out in different colours. A survey was going on as to which colour would be popular. I guess this was the "upgrade" in the end.

Their booth was full so I didn't get a chance to talk to them.

wow, all looks good imho. Gold could have been a limited edition, silver could just be another color apart from the black, and the red... could be marketed to promote support for AIDS or smth. =D

anyways i would have gotten the Gold. it looks just too cliche.

and now im thinking... when would they launch it =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back