The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #736 of 9,165
Quote:
On desktop products, the output impedance tends to be larger than on their portable counterparts as they are frequently used with high-impedance headphones and operate out of a wall socket.
On portable products, the output impedance tends to be smaller as they are used with earphones and must operate on a battery, which cannot provide the high voltage necessary for a large output impedance.

Well writen and great effort, still would love to see a really test of sencitive EIM's with this player.

We might conclude that the market is changing and that high impedance DAP will become more commen. Head-fi'ers should take up the challange and we all can now start spending money on creating A low and high impedance set up:)

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #737 of 9,165
Quote:
When a measurement correlated this obviously to character, it matters. Tenths of % of distortion or a db or 2 variance in response can be argued as it may not be the overwhelming determining factor in the overall character but this type of change in response and damping factor is hard to ignore relative to it's apparent intended use. It will determing the character ofn over 90% of the phones used here.

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #738 of 9,165
Quote:
I'll try one last time lol. With impedances over 1 ohm on a source (the DAP for example) it will negatively impact a sensitive IEM (much more noticeable on BA in comparison to dynamics but there is still a difference even on dynamics). The results are random depending on the IEM itself. Such as the actual ohm rating of the IEM, etc. The results can be heard as rolled off bass, boosted and bloated bass, rolled off treble, boosted and spiked treble, etc. That is the reason for using a source with less than 1 ohm with sensitive IEMs and sensitive headphones. The amp you are using it with is not suppose to be altering the frequency response of the IEM & most definitely not on such magnitude. Altering the frequency response means you are changing the intended sound signature that the manufacturer tuned the IEMs to have.

Yes, I understand the principles what I don't understand is your insistence in another thread that subjective listening is principal in determining a players quality when in this thread you vociferously argue in favour of objective measurements? Do you understand what it is I am asking you? Why the antithetical positions?

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #739 of 9,165
Quote:

Yes, I understand the principles what I don't understand is your insistence in another thread that subjective listening is principal in determining a players quality when in this thread you vociferously argue in favour of objective measurements? Do you understand what it is I am asking you? Why the antithetical positions?

Mark this is because I have determined with my own ears that high output impedance ruins the sound of my IEMs. I actually had first hand experience with this and that alone has made the decision that much easier for me. I don't own amps with high output impedance anymore. The E9 was were it ended. Once I got the O2 amp (the O2 crushed the E9) the E9 was gone. In reality the E9 stopped getting used once I got the UHA4. IMO the UHA4 also sounded a lot better with my Sensitive IEMs and even my denon 5000s over the E9. I just couldn't understand why my IEMs and headphone sounded so crappy out of the E9 lol. Pretty much on all my dynamic IEMs used with the E9 I experienced bloated-muddy bass and in some more extreme cases treble spikes. This objective fact is correct and my ears agree with it all the way. I'm not 100% objective nor 100% subjective. I'm more so in the middle of it all but in the end I will always trust my own ears.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #740 of 9,165
So, um, how's the new iRiver AK100? Does anybody have one yet?

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #744 of 9,165
lol Just found this on the Internet:))))
Maybe this little thing will make AK100 and sensitive IEMs friendly?
I don't know Japanese, maybe anyone has already tried this little gem?

AClear Porta NIP-01

http://nstblog.exblog.jp/18136639/
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/e-earphone/item/4939325126200/

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #745 of 9,165
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, AFAIC I'm trying to be fairly consistent in my posting.

But anyway, in that particular case, the influence of output impedance is a simple math correlation. It's the same for player X or Y, not just the AK100, and there's no need to measure all IEMs when you can simply calculate the volume difference in dBs. That said, I don't think there has been such an extensive test with different iem models, so here's your answer.

My personal position is that it's already difficult enough to get consistency across the spectrum of iems available (the benefit of adding some drivers with a cross-over is another debate), no need to add another level of complexity unless there's a good reason to. I just fail to see that particular reason, and apparently iRiver isn't really sure about it either. But that's only my opinion, corroborated by some actual listening time with the device, and the opinion of people I trust to be honest, who have also heared the device on multiple occasions, and in different settings.   
Quote:

My question was really, has the AK100 itself been tested with a variety of BA IEM's and measured, and why the inconsistency in the arguments of some posters between threads and devices? In one thread measurements are berated as inconsequential, in this thread they become the fundamental argument against buying the DAP? 

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #747 of 9,165
Quote:
I would be interested in being shown some examples from real world testing, various BA's with different impedance and the altered responses. I have emailed AK in a professional capacity and await their response, I don't expect I will shall receive one.

Haven't been following the thread and don't know if these graphs from the German HiFi forum have already been posted.

Anyway, here we go...

AK100 + Beyerdynamic T1 (600 ohms)

AK100 + Shure SE425 (22 ohms)

AK100 + UE Triple.Fi 10 (32 ohms)

In comparison: iBasso DX100 + UE Triple.Fi 10

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #748 of 9,165
All,

My posts were deleted. Out of respect of headfi's
rules - I won't be allowed to post my finding here.

I'll find another ave. to share my findings when
the time comes.

Vinnie

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #749 of 9,165
I wish when posts were deleted there would be some explanation.  Anyway I would be interested in possible AK100 mods to remove the high OI if they were reasonably priced. I'm just glad I read that someone was looking into it before they were deleted.

Edit: Ha, now there is a post above mine but posted after. 
blink.gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #750 of 9,165
All,
My posts were deleted. Out of respect of headfi's
rules - I won't be allowed to post my finding here.
I'll find another ave. to share my findings when
the time comes.
Vinnie

Wow, that sux. But the graphs above give an idea of what people are talking about and experiencing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back