The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 3, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #646 of 9,165
Quote:
Price blah blah etc etc
I am in the market for a new dap but that's way out of my price range

If you can wait, the X3 will be the best quality/price DAP when released in May.

Dec 3, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #647 of 9,165
If it's $15 or $1,500 it makes no difference to most here on Head-Fi. It's all about the sq,...money is not a consideration.

I see some still haven't realized this as of yet,... :wink:

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #649 of 9,165
For you it is though lol :p.

Heh,...you can believe that if it makes you smile,...:rolleyes:

PS: my iPad mini & Xbox 360 just arrived at my house,...I'll be setting those up after work. I believe these + the 47" flat screen tv I just bought my inlaws would have covered the cost of a player or 2. I buy and usually keep it to myself,...so most don't really know what I own. This way we can just discuss items, not brag.

Now let me get back to playing a game on my full sized iPad,...:p

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #650 of 9,165
Quote:
If it's $15 or $1,500 it makes no difference to most here on Head-Fi. It's all about the sq,...money is not a consideration.
I see some still haven't realized this as of yet,...
wink.gif

The search for perfection is ongoing and money is just part of the bigger quest. There is no cure for upgradeitis.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #652 of 9,165
A lot of dislike for this player.

I think it's a great player.  It's a good size as a 'portable' unlike the DX100 which is double the size.

I would've like to see more user options available like the Cowon J3.   The EQ tuner is easy to use but I think the default setting is good enough. 

People definitely need to try this out first before making judgement. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #653 of 9,165
Quote:

I think it's a great player.  It's a good size as a 'portable' unlike the DX100 which is double the size.

I would've like to see more user options available like the Cowon J3.   The EQ tuner is easy to use but I think the default setting is good enough. 

The output impedance is too high for in-ear monitors. It will cause variation in the frequency response for any low resistance headphones. You don't have to try it to know that is true.

On the plus side, I asked support at iRiver if there might be a future A&K with lower output impedance, and his response was wishy washy, but in the affirmative direction.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #654 of 9,165
Quote:

The size is indeed the best selling piont. The only one that comes close in the hi end segment are the Tera Player an d the Clip:) I am curious how average EIM will sound on this player.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #655 of 9,165
The output impedance is too high for in-ear monitors. It will cause variation in the frequency response for any low resistance headphones. You don't have to try it to know that is true.

On the plus side, I asked support at iRiver if there might be a future A&K with lower output impedance, and his response was wishy washy, but in the affirmative direction.

If his response was a true answer, and the make one without the horrid output impedance, I'm in for one myself!!! This and the FiiO X3!!!

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #656 of 9,165
Quote:
The size is indeed the best selling piont. The only one that comes close in the hi end segment are the Tera Player an d the Clip:) I am curious how average EIM will sound on this player.

lol sorry I have to disagree on the Clip being in the Hi end segment. It's mediocre at best in comparison to the DX100 and Studio V, even when amped :).

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #657 of 9,165
Quote:
lol sorry I have to disagree on the Clip being in the Hi end segment. It's mediocre at best in comparison to the DX100 and Studio V, even when amped :).

hey it is not bad at all when combined with xba-4. For what it is cost it certainly has the highest sound/cost ratio if one can have such a ratio :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back