The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #616 of 9,165
Quote:
I don't agree with you here.What us the point in having lots of files support is the SQ is not the best, or close? I had DX100, and i heard the Tera Player.And i can live with only WAV, as long as i get a beautiful sound, wich i am sure iRiver can't. especially with IEM's.

point is that you buy the most expensive DAP around which only supports one file format yet you feel the right to say that the AK100 is overpriced for a DAP that can be used only with certain headphones. Really....

Anyway I am sure you enjoy you tera player same as many will enjoy the Ak100.

ps do not want to offend anybody just found it amazing the the tera player was used as it is the most limited player around. One file format, no screen etc.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #617 of 9,165
A design flaw of AK100 is in the sense of calling your DAP a portable master piece which requires a high impedance not so portable headphones. More than 80% of the portable IEM in the market will have an issue with AK100. This is the design flaw that we are talking about. 

I do not see the logic of having such a small size DAP which can only be paired with a massive high impedance headphone! 

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #618 of 9,165
Quote:
A design flaw of AK100 is in the sense of calling your DAP a portable master piece which requires a high impedance no so portable headphones. More than 80% of the portable IEM in the market will have an issue with AK100. This is the design flaw that we are talking about. 

I do not see the logic of having such a small size DAP which can only be paired with a massive high impedance headphone! 

I agree. The Tera also has some of its own problems but I am still very curious to hear how it sound still.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #620 of 9,165
Quote:
I agree. The Tera also has some of its own problems but I am still very curious to hear how it sound still.

I would never touch Tera at that price point. It is just too much of an inconvenience. I was reading your post the other day on how you prefered the ibasso T1 amp over the DX100.  That made me wonder maybe the best think to do is be happy with ipod classic ALAC and just invest in a great amp for the future. A vast majority of us spend probably one or 2 hours outdoors from and to work/school/uni. Can we really justify 500-600 for portable DAP which we probably be using most of the times indoors than outdoor?

I think the logical think to do is be happy with what ever crap we have for outdoors and just invest on desktop gears. It really doent make sense to be after a portable amp which can drive HE-5 or LCD3 or a DAP which plays 24/192 files on a busy train, while you are up for 45 minutes in middle of a busy train.

Anyways that is the price we pay as an audio-enthusiast. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #621 of 9,165
Quote:
I would never touch Tera at that price point. It is just too much of an inconvenience. I was reading your post the other day on how you prefered the ibasso T1 amp over the DX100.  That made me wonder maybe the best think to do is be happy with ipod classic ALAC and just invest in a great amp for the future. A vast majority of us spend probably one or 2 hours outdoors from and to work/school/uni. Can we really justify 500-600 for portable DAP which we probably be using most of the times indoors than outdoor?

I think the logical think to do is be happy with what ever crap we have for outdoors and just invest on desktop gears. It really doent make sense to be after a portable amp which can drive HE-5 or LCD3 or a DAP which plays 24/192 files on a busy train, while you are up for 45 minutes in middle of a busy train.

Anyways that is the price we pay as an audio-enthusiast. 

No you've mistaken me. Not ibasso T1 amp. I am talking about Tralucents T1 amp. If you are gonna be investing in higher end full size headphones or Custom IEMs I see it as a waste of it's full potential to be locked to an ipod or Sansa Clip. Amping them helps yes but you are still at the mercy of the limited DAC inside these devices. The CLAS is another alternative yet a more expensive one and from what I am hearing it still doesn't sound better than the DX100. You can also amp the DX100 which isn't necessary but it does make it sound better IMO and I don't mind getting the most out of my gear. Since the LO is a feature on it it doesn't hurt to use it once in a while :). Seems like you would benefit from the isolation Custom IEMs offer on a train setting. That alone would help wonders.  If I remember correctly you use etys. Those should be good as well but I don't see them on the same level as Custom IEMs. There is so much more to it. I'm just not into the "in your head sound" and I don't think I ever will be.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #623 of 9,165
Quote:

No you mistaken me. Not ibasso T1 amp. I am talking about Tralucents T1 amp. If you are gonna be investing in higher end full size headphones or Custom IEMs I see it as a waste of it's full potential to be locked to an ipod or Sansa Clip. Amping them helps yes but you are still at the mercy of the limited DAC inside these devices. The CLAS is another alternative yet a more expensive one and from what I am hearing it still doesn't sound better than the DX100. You can also amp the DX100 which isn't necessary but it does make it sound better IMO and I don't mind getting the most out of my gear. Since the LO is a feature on it it doesn't hurt to use it once in a while :).

It is true but we can always bring its full potential out from a much cheaper desktop gear than the portable one. Unless we are always on the road wanting high fidelity for couple of hours out financially doesn't make a lot of sense. Having said that I am saving up for portaphile 627, a 500 dollar amp with the look of a 50 dollar amp and 4 hours battery life! Yes I am a hypocrite. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #624 of 9,165
Quote:
How much is the Tera again? I believe it was just shy of $ 600

lol you are joking right? It is over a $1000.00. The price is what puts me off of it pretty much. Without demoing it and determining if it really does sound that much better than the DX100 (which I still have my doubts).

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #626 of 9,165
Quote:
It is true but we can always bring its full potential out from a much cheaper desktop gear than the portable one. Unless we are always on the road wanting high fidelity for couple of hours out financially doesn't make a lot of sense. Having said that I am saving up for portaphile 627, a 500 dollar amp with the look of a 50 dollar amp and 4 hours battery life! Yes I am a hypocrite. 

Go for the Triad lol. Its to die for :p.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #627 of 9,165
Quote:
How much is the Tera again? I believe it was just shy of $ 600

€840......that's Euros......so about $1125.  http://www.tera-player.com 
blink.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #630 of 9,165
Quote:

True enough. I felt the DACport LX with the UHA6 MKII was better technically than the DX100 but after the firmware update I actually like the DX100/T1 combo more although they are technically on par with each other. Considering the LX and UHA6 can be had for just under $600.00 while the DX100/T1 combo is a bit over a $1000.00 you do have a point. But also having the ability to have that sound quality with you on the go is priceless depending on how you look at it and what situation you are in. With Custom IEMs it makes it more realistic since you have the isolation needed to enjoy the music over the noise-pollution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back