The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
May 5, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #8,941 of 9,165
Yes, all of these have separate line outs:

X3, X3ii, X5, DX50, DX90.

The X1 via switch in software but the same port...

Cheers,
K

Ok so just to get this right, all the listed daps when paired with an external will act as a variable line-out when the digital volume on the dap is turned up to max? 
If so, if I lower the digital volume on the dap itself, will the sound be effected?  
If the sound is in fact effected when the digital volume is not set to max, it then really can't be considered variable line-out, but fixed. 

May 5, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #8,942 of 9,165
  Ok so just to get this right, all the listed daps when paired with an external will act as a variable line-out when the digital volume on the dap is turned up to max? 
If so, if I lower the digital volume on the dap itself, will the sound be effected?  
If the sound is in fact effected when the digital volume is not set to max, it then really can't be considered variable line-out, but fixed. 

Not quite, here is the breakdown:

X3, X3ii, X5 not variable - fixed line out (with dedicated port, direct from DAC chip, unamped) -  volume change does not alter the line out signal
X1 - not a fixed port, uses the same port switched by software (never had one, don't know if volume change affects line out
DX50, DX90 - dedicated port  - line out volume adjusts with volume change but the signal is unamped directly from DAC)

Quote: If the sound is in fact effected when the digital volume is not set to max, it then really can't be considered variable line-out, but fixed. 
Try easier things than double negation :) I was confused by it...: Volume alters signal - variable, line out volume not changeable - fixed

Then is a variable port (using the same port for Line out and Headphone out) and something completely separate: having a volume adjustable line out...

Answer: No - if it's affected then it's variable line out, if it doesn't affect it it's a fixed line out. Dedicated port or not.

Cheers,
K

May 5, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #8,943 of 9,165

Not quite, here is the breakdown:

X3, X3ii, X5 not variable - fixed line out (with dedicated port, direct from DAC chip, unamped) -  volume change does not alter the line out signal
X1 - not a fixed port, uses the same port switched by software (never had one, don't know if volume change affects line out
DX50, DX90 - dedicated port  - line out volume adjusts with volume change but the signal is unamped directly from DAC)

Quote: If the sound is in fact effected when the digital volume is not set to max, it then really can't be considered variable line-out, but fixed. 
Try easier things than double negation :) I was confused by it...: Volume alters signal - variable, line out volume not changeable - fixed

Then is a variable port (using the same port for Line out and Headphone out) and something completely separate: having a volume adjustable line out...

Answer: No - if it's affected then it's variable line out, if it doesn't affect it it's a fixed line out. Dedicated port or not.

Cheers,
K

So essentially variable or fixed line out ends up having the same result, that they both bypass the internal amp stage. 

May 5, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #8,944 of 9,165
  So essentially variable or fixed line out ends up having the same result, that they both bypass the internal amp stage. 

that is the idea. It's a high impedance analog connection for other gear - directly form the DAC into another amp (or whatever you want to connect).

Cheers,
K

May 5, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #8,945 of 9,165
is there any comparison in term of sound signature and sound quality between ak100mk2 and ak100ii?
are the change in audio chip from wolfson to cirrus logic change the sound sig?
how far it change?
i'm mk2 user and curious about the 2nd generation version of AK with cirrus logic

May 5, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #8,947 of 9,165

that is the idea. It's a high impedance analog connection for other gear - directly form the DAC into another amp (or whatever you want to connect).

Cheers,
K

Does the 

Cheers,
K

So just to clarify, the dx players having a dedicated port means having a separate line-out port for connecting to an external amp as to oppose to doubling the headphone out as a line out.

May 6, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #8,948 of 9,165
  Does the 
So just to clarify, the dx players having a dedicated port means having a separate line-out port for connecting to an external amp as to oppose to doubling the headphone out as a line out.

Correct. These players have separate line out port: DX50, DX90, X3, X3ii, X5
These do not: AK100, AK100Mk2, AK120, X1

Cheers,
K

May 21, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #8,949 of 9,165
My AK100, Whiplash IC, SMSL SAP-5 amp. IEMs re-cabled Shure E4C and stock Westone UM3X.

It's a very good pairing. Very little detail lost if there is any. Transparent and dynamic. Restored iem tonal balance with the SMSL SAP-5. 

The re-cabled Shure E4C is much more open sounding. The Westone UM3X sounds a bit veiled but nonetheless enjoyable in non critical mood.

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #8,952 of 9,165
F/W up-grade for first genertation of AK (AK100, AK120) today.

* AK100 new F/W downlload

http://www.iriver.com/support/download_view.asp?dNum=1117

* AK120 new F/W download
http://www.iriver.com/support/download_view.asp?dNum=1118

[Improvement]
1. Time Display of MP3 file encoded with VBR is improved.
2. When pressing rewind button after 3 sec with gapless on, wrong information display issue is revised.
3. Bitrate Size issue is improved.
4. Freezing issue while playing the long title, is revised.
5. Some kind of DSD file play is stabilized.

EDIT: Still bugs - One file grabbed album is not possible do Next Track or Previous track. Fonts in localized names is not shown correctly!

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #8,954 of 9,165
  My battery life is getting low.  At some point, I will probably try to change the battery myself.  Does anyone know what the battery number is?  Thanks.

Part number on the original AK100 battery is PR-665354, so the exact size of the battery is 6.6mm X 53mm X 54mm.

All markings are:

PR-665354 F12095201AA 7.4Wh
472244679069 3.7V 2000mah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back