The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 15, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #8,536 of 9,165
Works fine in W7 64 Pro too.  But it is really good at messing tags so install at your own risk.

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #8,538 of 9,165
Hi all. I just purchased a RWAK100 new from Red Wine.  How do I know if it is a Mk 1 or Mk2?  Do you recommend that I update the FW straight away or wait until I see how it works first and then do the update?  Any other suggestions for a new owner?  I've read about 20 pages so far, starting from the latest post and will continue until I get to where I'm not getting any new information.  One question I haven't seen yet is how to copy my files to the unit and micro SD card?  Is it straight forward or are there tricks and tips I should know?

Thanks for your help.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #8,539 of 9,165
  Hi all. I just purchased a RWAK100 new from Red Wine.  How do I know if it is a Mk 1 or Mk2?  Do you recommend that I update the FW straight away or wait until I see how it works first and then do the update?  Any other suggestions for a new owner?  I've read about 20 pages so far, starting from the latest post and will continue until I get to where I'm not getting any new information.  One question I haven't seen yet is how to copy my files to the unit and micro SD card?  Is it straight forward or are there tricks and tips I should know?

Thanks for your help.

Mk 1 or 2...ask Vinnie @ RWA. There's a brand new FW just released for AK100's....see post #8529. I would update now...but there's no hurry.

Copy files by plugging it (AK) in with the USB cable to your computer and put music files in the Music Folder. For microSD card(s) either load them via the computer into them while they are inserted in the AK, or load the cards seperately via a card reader or the SD card slot if your computer has one.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #8,545 of 9,165
MistahBungle I bought my AK100 at Addicted to Audio last thursday and it was way cheaper than that . 

?? No context to what you've said (I.E what post of mine is that comment in relation to ?)

Again @ MistahBungle   Unless of course you have a Mac :) 

Again, I don't know what you're referring to because you didn't quote the post in question ?

Edit - You have my deepest sympathies re: having a Mac.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #8,546 of 9,165
?? No context to what you've said (I.E what post of mine is that comment in relation to ?)
Again, I don't know what you're referring to because you didn't quote the post in question ?

Edit - You have my deepest sympathies re: having a Mac.

First is to a price quote you put up from ATA  They have it for $649  now :)

Second , 'Or...just fire up iRiver Plus4, connect the device via USB & do the upgrade that way, that's what I ended up doing & it went rather quickly.
rolleyes.gif

:lol:  No sympathy required, well maybe for the crap support we get for these wonderful little gadgets. :)  I was so shocked to find this out in this day and age. ! 

Thee new firmware link keeps cutting out , but I'm getting used to that. I just keep trying . :) 

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #8,547 of 9,165
 First is to a price quote you put up from ATA  They have it for $649  now :)

Second , 'Or...just fire up iRiver Plus4, connect the device via USB & do the upgrade that way, that's what I ended up doing & it went rather quickly.' :rolleyes:

:lol:  No sympathy required, well maybe for the crap support we get for these wonderful little gadgets. :)  I was so shocked to find this out in this day and age. ! 

Thee new firmware link keeps cutting out , but I'm getting used to that. I just keep trying . :) 

Ahhh OK sorry :wink: Yeah they've changed prices a couple of times since late last year (when I bought my MkII); early this year they bumped the prices up significantly (a couple of hundred bucks) on the AK range (which was strange given the dollar appreciated a fair bit Vs most currencies in those months), and then when the new models were announced they dropped prices to current levels.

Yeah, AK servers are flaky as hell so far as external (I.E not from their software) connections are concerned. I also DL'd the firmware separately & it took 8 trys to get it. You'll get it eventually :)

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #8,548 of 9,165
Ahhh OK sorry :wink: Yeah they've changed prices a couple of times since late last year (when I bought my MkII); early this year they bumped the prices up significantly (a couple of hundred bucks) on the AK range (which was strange given the dollar appreciated a fair bit Vs most currencies in those months), and then when the new models were announced they dropped prices to current levels.

Yeah, AK servers are flaky as hell so far as external (I.E not from their software) connections are concerned. I also DL'd the firmware separately & it took 8 trys to get it. You'll get it eventually :)

Just try the dropbox download link some posts up - this worked absolutely flawless

Jul 16, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #8,550 of 9,165

Users who are viewing this thread

Back