The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Jul 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #8,566 of 9,165

It is a Mk2.  Just curious, why did you think it was a Mk1?

Because paying extra for the mk2 only to bypass the only difference between it and the mk1 seems like a terrible waste of money.  The mk1 might simply be out of production now.

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #8,567 of 9,165
Because paying extra for the mk2 only to bypass the only difference between it and the mk1 seems like a terrible waste of money.  The mk1 might simply be out of production now.

Well for the extra $100 you also get a leather case worth $50 and a different tuned firmware which sounds like a mix btw AK100 and AK120.
Definitely more worth it compared to RWAK mod IMO.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #8,568 of 9,165
Yes to leather case.  The RW badge makes the fit interesting but still the case is nice.  The firmware and hardware is otherwise exactly the same.  They literally pulled two 20ohm resistors and inserted 3ohm ones, got Dignis to make a case, added mk2 to the rear and boom... new model.

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #8,569 of 9,165
Yes to leather case.  The RW badge makes the fit interesting but still the case is nice.  The firmware and hardware is otherwise exactly the same.  They literally pulled two 20ohm resistors and inserted 3ohm ones, got Dignis to make a case, added mk2 to the rear and boom... new model.

Hardware same yes, firmware same probably. However the tuning is not the same as the normal AK100. It has more similarities to the AK120 sound signature than the normal AK100.

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #8,570 of 9,165
That isn't by means of "tuning" in software but by having the same output impedance hence the same tonal balance or correction if you prefer as the AK120.  Which is to say loading the same software on the same platform results in the same tuning and any differences have to come from outside the processor.

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #8,571 of 9,165
That isn't by means of "tuning" in software but by having the same output impedance hence the same tonal balance or correction if you prefer as the AK120.  Which is to say loading the same software on the same platform results in the same tuning and any differences have to come from outside the processor.

You won't get the same tonal balance or correction just by having the same output impedance even if the hardware is the same if it wasn't tuned the same.
And as I said, the firmware might be the same but there is no concrete proof it is the same. As AK said, the firmware download is the same as the normal one but the MK2 reads it differently and has a different tuning. Whether you believe them or not is entirely a different story.

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #8,573 of 9,165
  One card goes in one way and the other is flipped over.  I use the end of a spudder (thin plastic probe) or anything smaller than a finger nail which (in my case) doesn't push it in far enough.  When the cards are seated properly they will click and lock in place. Like I mentioned I can not push them in far enough with my fingernail.  To release them push in again and they will pop out and you should be able to grab them with your fingernail.

That did it!  Thank you!

I'm listening to the RWAK100 mk2 through some $40 Klipsch IEMs and the sound is amazing playing FLAC files.  I can't wait to hook it up to the JH Roxanne CIEMs I recently ordered!  I also got the Chord Hugo DAC/Amp I will use for serious portable listening.  I don't want to use the Hugo with the Klipsch as I know they won't do the rig justice.  I replaced my Emo DC-1 DAC with the Hugo in my home EF6/HE6 rig and the improvement is incredible!  Now if the Roxanne's can hurry up and get here, hopefully in about 6 weeks...

Jul 19, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #8,574 of 9,165
Finally, iRiver added exFat support. THANKS!!! I reformatted my 64gb cards, now i've been listening. I'd say the sound changed a bit - especially bass and soundstage expanded. How the heck they did it?

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #8,575 of 9,165
That is not possible, a file system doesn't change your sound. It doesn't matter if you use FAT32, exFAT, NTFS or Linux FS like EXT3 or 4 on any device with sound output. Your sound will never change.

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #8,576 of 9,165
It has nothing to do with the file system. I just meant that the sound changed a bit with the new FW.
BTW, now I hear a light hiss between songs. And yes, the wrong bitrate infi, if i press the Info icon. But it does not bother me. Something has definately changed with the sound, it might be the placebo effect, though.
The good thing is my 64Gb cards in exFAT work perfectly. So, I've been thinking of getting a 128Gb one, or two:)

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #8,577 of 9,165
Hello Everyone,
I do not know if this helps when writing about the various AK models but IMO the three latest new models should have been called the AK200, AK220 and AK240. They all have similar casework, screen and the single SD card slot. SO, if you are mentioning the first AK100 and second edition AK100 mk2 and the new third edition AK100 ll if you put (AK200) in brackets - this might make it easier to figure out which player you are referring to. AK120 and the new AK120 ll (AK220).
I cannot understand why iRiver called these models the way they did.
Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back