The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 8, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #8,266 of 9,165
  On a final note they replaced my AK100 MK2 this afternoon, it turns out the fast forward/next hard key was mechanically fubar.

Must be nice.  I've been emailing them weekly to get an answer to my USB DAC problem and nothing but silence so far :frowning2:

Apr 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #8,271 of 9,165

Must be nice.  I've been emailing them weekly to get an answer to my USB DAC problem and nothing but silence so far :frowning2:

Shortly after buying my player I had the need to call iRiver in California.  I called them everyday for close to 2 weeks and know one ever answered.  I also e-mailed them of which they never answered that as well.  Pretty sad I'm afraid!  Thankfully they have a dealer here on the wet coast of BC (Vancouver a 20 minute drive from where I live).   If it would not been for Travis at the Headphone Bar it may not have ever been addressed....well certainly not from iRiver in California if I would have bought it from their online store.  If it would not have been for the information and guidance I received from this forum I would have returned it weeks ago.  I like most everything about the player except the glitches in the firmware, the company support sucks cause it is none existent!  Seriously it's been 5 months since the last update and not a word from the company?  Some indication from them like they are working on it would be nice.

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #8,272 of 9,165
Ak100 MKI Pairing with my Jh5...or should i go RWAK100? In a deep Dilenma :frowning2:

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #8,273 of 9,165
Mk1 and a lot of iems is a bad idea but RWAK isn't the only option any more.  Could go Mk2, X5, DX90 and soon enough the Calyx M.

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #8,274 of 9,165
Hmm...if RWAK and MkII...other than the price difference...I read from older post that RWAK would have a better clarity than a MkII due to a slightly lower independence. In that case, I would lean more towards getting a RWAK100...

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #8,275 of 9,165
  Hmm...if RWAK and MkII...other than the price difference...I read from older post that RWAK would have a better clarity than a MkII due to a slightly lower independence. In that case, I would lean more towards getting a RWAK100...

RWAK is actually surprisingly better. Haven't heard the MKII, but if only difference between MKI and II is impedance, RWAK will sure sound clearer and more transparent. RWAK sounds better then MKI even with hps that are not affected by high impedance.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #8,276 of 9,165
Since there are so many reviewers mentioned about the obvious difference between a MKI and a RWAK, guess I will just send in an E-mail to RWA. Hopefully the turn-around time will be fast as Ak100 is my only player around :frowning2:. Thanks so much for the enlightenment. Hopefully the mid and bass will pop out and shine again after the mods. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #8,277 of 9,165
  Since there are so many reviewers mentioned about the obvious difference between a MKI and a RWAK, guess I will just send in an E-mail to RWA. Hopefully the turn-around time will be fast as Ak100 is my only player around :frowning2:. Thanks so much for the enlightenment. Hopefully the mid and bass will pop out and shine again after the mods. 

Vinnie gets it done fairly quickly. Bass and mids do shine after the mod.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #8,280 of 9,165
  RWAK is actually surprisingly better. Haven't heard the MKII, but if only difference between MKI and II is impedance, RWAK will sure sound clearer and more transparent. RWAK sounds better then MKI even with hps that are not affected by high impedance.

The MkII has slightly better bass and mids compared to the MkI - the difference is not that big but still quite noticable.

All this talk about the RWAK100 makes me want to try one -- sadly no one that I know in Sydney owns a RWAK100 
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back