The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Apr 5, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #8,251 of 9,165
For the CDs I have that are multi CD JRiver made folders for each CD and the AK100 sees that and shows them in Album and Artist view that way.  Try splitting them into folders.

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #8,253 of 9,165
Read it wrong then.  Assume it is in 3 folders on the AK as well then?  Sounds like a good reason to use JRiver :p

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #8,254 of 9,165
Yes, clearly. Here is what I've been doing the last day or so. I'm using dBPoweramp Batch Converter to convert file titles without a prefix of 01, 02, 03, etc:

I have left unchanged songs that have the 01, 02, 03 prefix and as I have come to learn songs with the 1-01, 1-02, 1-03 prefix for some of my multi-disc sets.

So far, I'm up to G so in a few days I'll have prefixes before all of my songs. The problem is some (many??) of my songs still do not appear in order under albums in the AK100 and I have to go to folder view for the proper order (except for my compilations which are out of order in both).

So, I'm getting there, but still more mysteries then a clear path to success. Question though- is there a preferred prefix that makes this all go away? If so, do share.

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #8,255 of 9,165
Album and Artist view don't care about folder or file names.  The tag has to have the disc information.  Going back to my Dave Matthews Listener Supported album, one is tagged LS Disc 1, the other LS Disc 2, track numbers are also tagged.  The AK does no tagging, no guess work or fetching.  It simply sorts by tags.  Or at least mine does :wink:

Apr 7, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #8,256 of 9,165
Just curious why people ripping discs by tracks when  you can rip it as image where entire album is just one file and if your collection has 600 albums you will have just 600 files instead around 6000?

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #8,259 of 9,165
So my AK100 decided the song I was listening to was the last one it would play and went dark after it finished.  Now it's on, warm to the touch, headphone chirps when plugged in, but the LCD is out, the power button does nothing.  Is there a way to reset it other than pressing and holding the power?

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #8,263 of 9,165
  So my AK100 decided the song I was listening to was the last one it would play and went dark after it finished.  Now it's on, warm to the touch, headphone chirps when plugged in, but the LCD is out, the power button does nothing.  Is there a way to reset it other than pressing and holding the power?

That has happened to me on a number of occasions as well.  I have gathered there is something in the tag the player does not like.  I have looked at the song with various pieces of software and they look fine but there is something embedded that it doesn't like.  To be honest it has never happened to bought or personally ripped tunes only on the other ones.   So I just delete them and count my losses.  Just as odd is the sorting for artists, anything beginning with Z is at the top.  There are certain characters that the player does not like either, that depends where they are located, like a /  in the album title shows up as a small box.  Also if there is more than one piece of artwork embedded in the file the player does not like that either.  Anyway I'm discovering more and more about it much is just a learning curve and the rest is shoddy (yes shoddy) firmware which I hope they will fix sooner than later.  On a final note they replaced my AK100 MK2 this afternoon, it turns out the fast forward/next hard key was mechanically fubar.

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #8,265 of 9,165
  this may be a silly question, but can the ak100 be rockboxed since its os is android based. Has anyone tried ak100 with shure se535s, is the pairing good even with the high impedance out put of the ak100? 

Not sure about the Rockbox question, but I'm pretty sure there have been reports along the way of the AK100 being a poor match with SE535s unless it's modded, the mk2 version, or paired with an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back