The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 26, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #8,224 of 9,165
  I think you'll be very satisfied with the results. It may not quite match the Leckertons, but it makes for a very transparent and neutral, but musical DAP

That sounds wonderful. Now that I think about it, the only thing that didn't pair well with AK100 was UERM, so I was unsure about getting RWAK100, but then, I thought "UERM deserves the best", so I ended up getting the RWAK. I hope it gets to me at the beginning of next week.

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #8,225 of 9,165
I have had a AK100 for about six months now.  I use it with a pair of Westone 4r IEMs re-cabled with Whiplash TWag v3. 

After reading this thread and much thought (maybe too much), in late-Feb, I sent it off to Vinnie at RWA for the RWAK100 mod (not the "S" mod).   I received the unit back on March 13 and was immediately impressed.  I wanted to wait at least a couple weeks to make certain this was an actual improvement and not just different.

Here are excerpts from my e-mail to Vinnie: 

I have to say: 

1. It was very well packaged for shipment 
  2. The turnaround was a bit faster than I thought – thanks 
  3. Except for the label on the bottom (very classy), you can’t tell you ever touched the unit – pristine condition 
  4. This is not an insignificant mod – the whole sound was less “digital”, less harsh, almost an analog smoothness with no loss of detail; the background appeared “blacker” and the PRAT has been enhanced. Not that the AK100 was lacking in any of these areas – I enjoyed the stock unit. But this mod definitely improved the entire sound scape – bravo.  Definitely worth the price of admission.

Nuff said.  If you have the funds, but are hesitant - don't be. 

Brent

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #8,227 of 9,165
  I have had a AK100 for about six months now.  I use it with a pair of Westone 4r IEMs re-cabled with Whiplash TWag v3. 

After reading this thread and much thought (maybe too much), in late-Feb, I sent it off to Vinnie at RWA for the RWAK100 mod (not the "S" mod).   I received the unit back on March 13 and was immediately impressed.  I wanted to wait at least a couple weeks to make certain this was an actual improvement and not just different.

Here are excerpts from my e-mail to Vinnie: 

Nuff said.  If you have the funds, but are hesitant - don't be. 

Brent

Have you tried the AK100MkII before?
I'm really curious as to how the RWAK100 sounds compared to the AK100MkII with IEMs since they have lower output impedance compared to the AK100MkII.

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #8,229 of 9,165
I ordered my AK100 today.I'm so excited. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #8,230 of 9,165
Anyone else having problems with the USB dac function?  On mine it has a sliding delay on audio.  Which is to say that after a few hours the audio is a second or say behind the video.  Optical does not have the issue.  Anyone else or just mine?

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #8,231 of 9,165
Hi, McLuzar.  No, I did not listen to a MkII.  I did ask Vinnie that very question.  Here is our e-mail exchange:

Is your RWAK100 mod basically creating an aftermarket version of the AK100 Mk II?

It is better than that because with the RWAK100, the output impedance is even lower than AK100MkII and we hard wire from the output stage FETs directly to the output jack (bypassing crappy circuit board traces and a connector in the path that connects the main board to the board with the headphone jack).

I have no reason to doubt Vinnie given the customer service and quality of work I have experienced together with his sterling reputation here at Head Fi.  He is a credit to our hobby. 

Solude, I guess you are correct:  pure and clean does describe part of the resulting sound profile after the mod.  Bass was enhanced, though not a boat load, but then again I don't listen to very bass heavy music.  I like to use the term "real" - for a pocket-sized rig, I am impressed.

Mar 29, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #8,232 of 9,165
  Hi, McLuzar.  No, I did not listen to a MkII.  I did ask Vinnie that very question.  Here is our e-mail exchange:

I have no reason to doubt Vinnie given the customer service and quality of work I have experienced together with his sterling reputation here at Head Fi.  He is a credit to our hobby. 

Solude, I guess you are correct:  pure and clean does describe part of the resulting sound profile after the mod.  Bass was enhanced, though not a boat load, but then again I don't listen to very bass heavy music.  I like to use the term "real" - for a pocket-sized rig, I am impressed.

They also do seem to measure differently. Seeko(Korean audiophile community) measured a RWAK100, and found that all measurements(THD, Separation...) improved marginally. Vinnie's a cool guy to deal with.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #8,234 of 9,165
So, my RWAK100 came. I thought I should post some impressions.

Well, testing RWAK on old iems that I used to use it with, I can tell the sound is cleaner and more transparent.
Also, I know that the impedance issue is solved, as I can now use UERM with it. UERM lost all of it's treble with stock AK100. Well, on UERM, this is the second best source I've heard. The first goes to AK120, but AK120 is a different story. It outclasses X3, AK10, and even the famous UHA-6S.MKII. Overall happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back