The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Mar 22, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #8,207 of 9,165
Something is a miss because even the OS says the memory is full.  Since the goal is to wipe it anyway... just wipe it using the menu.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #8,208 of 9,165
  So I bought the AK100 Mk2 after getting some solid advise from folks on this thread (thank you) and have really enjoyed listening to the player. Struggled a bit to get oriented, but that is to be expected.  Here is where I'm stuck-- With no SD card yet, space is really limited. I have been deleting songs from Finder or Explorer, but it doesn't show any increase in the storage capacity and the AK100 is unable to scan new songs.  Do I need to reset it back to factory settings (and if so how) or are there other solutions?

Thanks,

-David

Try emptying your trash with the device connected.  Make sure the you properly dismount the device before removing the unit.   It sounds like the files might be moved to the trash folder but not actually deleted.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #8,209 of 9,165
Thank you for the replies.  I did in fact try the 'library scan', repeatedly, and no joy.  The WAV files wish to live only in 'folders', separated as main 'music' and 'SD1' (a 64 GB card).  On your advice I did read back on this thread for tactics to make WAV files work.  Unfortunately, I don't understand most of it.  It appears this WAV indexing issue has been experienced by others and the common solution is to abandon WAV and convert to FLAC.  That seems to me to be going the wrong direction.  All of my music lives on a dedicated server in WAV format.  From there I wish to periodically update the AK100.  Has anyone figured out a way to remain in WAV and get some sort of useful indexing system on the AK device?  Am I wrong in trying to stick with WAV?  Thanks.

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #8,211 of 9,165
Try emptying your trash with the device connected.  Make sure the you properly dismount the device before removing the unit.   It sounds like the files might be moved to the trash folder but not actually deleted.

+1 This has always worked for me when music files "appear" to still be on the player. They're just sitting in the trash. As soon as the trash is deleted with the device hooked up, unmount the device and let the library scan do it's thing. Then the capacity should free up again.

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #8,212 of 9,165
I tried that and it did not work. I then followed Solude's advise and followed the menu prompts to reformat the device and IT WORKED! I began to add music late last night and called it quits for the day.

This morning I continued adding music until near capacity and now a new and equally frustrating problem-- the AK100 scans the library, appears to stall mid way through, and once it hits 1134 songs it locks for a few seconds and then restarts the library scan all over again. After a few cycles, I force it to power down. I see the main menu once it comes back up and it continues the library scan again. Any way to abort the library scan? Perhaps there is a work around once connected to the computer (I've been remote most of the afternoon).

My lesson learned so far is don't force too much music that the AK100 doesn't have enough space for the library scan.

I still like the AK100 but this is getting weary...

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #8,213 of 9,165
I tried that and it did not work. I then followed Solude's advise and followed the menu prompts to reformat the device and IT WORKED! I began to add music late last night and called it quits for the day.

This morning I continued adding music until near capacity and now a new and equally frustrating problem-- the AK100 scans the library, appears to stall mid way through, and once it hits 1134 songs it locks for a few seconds and then restarts the library scan all over again. After a few cycles, I force it to power down. I see the main menu once it comes back up and it continues the library scan again. Any way to abort the library scan? Perhaps there is a work around once connected to the computer (I've been remote most of the afternoon).

My lesson learned so far is don't force too much music that the AK100 doesn't have enough space for the library scan.

Every AK100 has same problem ? Or is your product mouldy ? 

Maybe,it can be fixed after upgrade.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #8,214 of 9,165

The AK100 appears to use some free space to work with the library scan process so you need to allow a decent chunk of memory if you can. I try to leave around 1Gb free on my 32Gb cards, but I don't know what's optimal.

Another possible cause of this error could be a faulty/corrupt tag or information included in the tag that the AK100 can't process. As some have mentioned, there was discussion of tag cleaning earlier in this thread that might be helpful.

Also, what software are you using to transfer your music?

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #8,215 of 9,165

The AK100 appears to use some free space to work with the library scan process so you need to allow a decent chunk of memory if you can. I try to leave around 1Gb free on my 32Gb cards, but I don't know what's optimal.

Another possible cause of this error could be a faulty/corrupt tag or information included in the tag that the AK100 can't process. As some have mentioned, there was discussion of tag cleaning earlier in this thread that might be helpful.

Check which folders have been transferred and clean the tags for the next few songs. Also leave some space for the player to update playlist etc. seems like it requires some memory for its own files.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #8,216 of 9,165

The problem played itself out. After a few cycles of the library scan, the AK100 restarted as if it were new asking language, etc. I then went to library scan and set it to manual. I deleted a few albums after that to give the AK100 some breathing room and all appears normal. Loquah, when you ask about the software I use to transfer music, my understanding is the only option is drag and drop. Is there an alternate?

I think my tags are in good shape as when I have ripped or converted music, I have always used dBpoweramp and check the tags during the process.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #8,217 of 9,165
  The problem played itself out. After a few cycles of the library scan, the AK100 restarted as if it were new asking language, etc. I then went to library scan and set it to manual. I deleted a few albums after that to give the AK100 some breathing room and all appears normal. Loquah, when you ask about the software I use to transfer music, my understanding is the only option is drag and drop. Is there an alternate?

I think my tags are in good shape as when I have ripped or converted music, I have always used dBpoweramp and check the tags during the process.

Do everybody have the same problem with AK100 ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back