The New iRiver/Astell & Kern AK100: A High-End DAP
Dec 29, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #7,771 of 9,165
Hiss is terrible with the fiio e11, I'm looking also For a new amp.
Can't remember if i already asked: but has anyone tried the headstage arrow with the ak100? Any hiss?

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #7,772 of 9,165
Hiss is terrible with the fiio e11, I'm looking also For a new amp.
Can't remember if i already asked: but has anyone tried the headstage arrow with the ak100? Any hiss?

I have tried the 4G Arrow w/ my RWAK100, and no hiss.  HOWEVER, that's w/ the Earsonic SM64 (~90 ohm, I believe) & the Shure SRH1540 (~50 ohm).  In other words, my impressions are likely useless to you as I'm guessing you are more concerned about lower impedance IEMs

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #7,773 of 9,165

I have tried the 4G Arrow w/ my RWAK100, and no hiss.  HOWEVER, that's w/ the Earsonic SM64 (~90 ohm, I believe) & the Shure SRH1540 (~50 ohm).  In other words, my impressions are likely useless to you as I'm guessing you are more concerned about lower impedance IEMs

thanks Feverfive! 

i have a Custom Art pro330, i guess it will be fine. 
That's on my next to buy list then! 

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #7,774 of 9,165
  I originally purchased a stock AK100 and the ALO Audio Rx-Mk3-B but returned the latter due to excessive hiss. I had no problem with the stock AK100 once I switched to the ALO International, nor have I had any problems with hiss since converting to the RWAK100S. I typically keep the gain set to low. On the occasions when I have turned the gain to medium or high, there is a definite rise in the noise floor, with detectable hiss between tracks. I do not notice the hiss during playback, however, and I do appreciate a slight expansion of the soundstage when I increase the gain.

Did you try it with your FitEar ToGo 334? The RX Mk3-B/B+ does not seem to work nicely with IEMs, I tried that combo as well with my Sony XBA-40s and it's got pretty loud hiss as well.
Friend tried it with his FitEar Parterre and AKG K3003 and there's the same issue with it.

It works and sounds brilliant with the Denon AH-D7100EM though.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #7,775 of 9,165
Hey mate,

I originally bought the Rx/334 combo and was unhappy with the hiss/high noise floor. I spoke with Ken Ball at ALO, who implied that the Rx is better matched to/suited for full size headphones. I returned the Rx without hassle and exchanged it for The International, which I find to be an excellent match for my 334s. 

Cheers,
Tim

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #7,776 of 9,165
Thr AKR02 is out in their website. Their official shop doesnt have it listed yet.
More tempted in the AKR01 as it's more affordable and also purely on the aesthetic side of things haha.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #7,777 of 9,165
  Getting a AK10 this monday. Let see if I end of selling my AK100 because of it.

Say KV, how does the AK10 fare so far in comparison to AK100? Is it successful in dislodging the AK100 from the list of your belongings?

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #7,778 of 9,165

Say KV, how does the AK10 fare so far in comparison to AK100? Is it successful in dislodging the AK100 from the list of your belongings?

Lol. I had a day of hearing, and I broke the cable. It was totally my fault. I totally bent the cable, and it snapped, as any cable would.

But from the day of use, I can tell that it lacks bit of clarity and imaging(more like soundstage depth) when compared to AK100. It does, however, have richer and thicker mids. This evaluation was done on BA200 and GR07 as my UERM gets affected by AK100's 22ohm impedance. But for $200 that I paid, I can't really complain. Great form factor and usability. I just wish they had a slimmer case for it.

Oh, also, unlike AK100, which was made in Korea, AK10 is made in China, and definitely lacks build quality. They are made of plastic, instead of metal like AK100. It does make the AK10 lighter and cheaper though. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #7,779 of 9,165
So is it a keeper for you or are you going to keep the AK100?

I saw a glance of AK10 and unlike some other products that seem larger in picture than IRL, it is the opposite for AK10. Seeing the pictures I thought that it was small but seeing it in real life, I did not expect it was that big.

Thanks for the impression, probably you can aim to audition the MkII if you have the chance in the future after making the AK10 purchase. I can hear the voice of approval from your UERM
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #7,780 of 9,165
  So is it a keeper for you or are you going to keep the AK100?

I saw a glance of AK10 and unlike some other products that seem larger in picture than IRL, it is the opposite for AK10. Seeing the pictures I thought that it was small but seeing it in real life, I did not expect it was that big.

Thanks for the impression, probably you can aim to audition the MkII if you have the chance in the future after making the AK10 purchase. I can hear the voice of approval from your UERM
tongue.gif

AK100 is a keeper. I actually love the DAC function of AK100. I guess I'll keep the AK100 for media server function(in case I want a desktop DAC with optical input)

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #7,781 of 9,165
I've got a question about album art?  I just ordered the AK100 MK2 and it will be here Monday, so I having been reading/searching about album art here on the thread.  From what I have come away with, is that the album art image has to me embedded into the music file.  Is this correct?  Currently I have my FLAC (mostly) and MP3 (very little) files organized into folders of Artist then Album with album art titled 'Folder' in each album folder.  Will this work or will I have to embed the album art into each FLAC and/or MP3 file?

Thanks.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #7,782 of 9,165
  I've got a question about album art?  I just ordered the AK100 MK2 and it will be here Monday, so I having been reading/searching about album art here on the thread.  From what I have come away with, is that the album art image has to me embedded into the music file.  Is this correct?  Currently I have my FLAC (mostly) and MP3 (very little) files organized into folders of Artist then Album with album art titled 'Folder' in each album folder.  Will this work or will I have to embed the album art into each FLAC and/or MP3 file?

Thanks.

I think so, yes.
Had a folder with album art in there but not embedded into the music file, the album art did not show up when I'm playing the files from that folder on my MkII.

I ended up embedding it using kid3 from my Mac, works fine now.
But there are some files (FLAC & mp3s) that even after I embedded all the tag info and album art, it still did not show on the player.

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #7,783 of 9,165
Has anyone done a battery replacement yet?  I'm just curious how difficult it would be for someone w/ minimal skill to change it.  I notice my battery life dwindling over the past couple of months (purchased my AK100 late Feb, 2013, vendor shipped direct to Vinnie for the RWAK mod, so I've never used this in stock configuration).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back